Singapore - day trip to Pulau Bintan or Pulau Batam, Indonesia

tumi

Does anyone have information or experience taking day trips out of Singapore to the Indonesian islands: Pulau Bintan or Pulau Batam?

We're booked on an Azamara cruise ending in Singapore and we thought it would be interesting to venture out to one of these islands during our stay. From the research I've done, these are popular weekend destinations for Singaporeans and it's a short ferry ride (about 1 hour), but I can't find too many other details. Any experiences or details that you have would be a big help!

(I've been searching through the boards and unable to find any other posts. If I missed something please let me know!).

Cheers,

Greg

Greg:

Not a lot of interesting things to do or see on those islands. Laid-back beach type places mostly. Unless you are an island collector, I would not suggest the trip -- there is nothing wrong with the islands, just nothing special.

If you want to kick back and relax, I'd suggest the great Botanical Gardens in Singapore or Sentosa Island (also in Singapore)

Paul

Thanks for the feedback, Paul. We certainly are not opposed to a "laid back" exotic beach setting with drinks/snacks... The resorts that I've found look very nice, but I haven't seen any offering day passes. I also haven't been able to determine if Bintan is really feasible for a day trip or if it's better suited for overnight stays.

However, based on your comments, it sounds like those beaches are not all that special.

Thanks again for the comments! I'll continue my search!

Greg

If money is no object you can do an overnight at the Banyan Tree Bintan for a real relaxation treat in a waterside villa on the rocks, complete with your own outdoor private jacuzzi. Order the "in Villa BBQ dinner" which comes in wonderful wicker basket filled with goodies and gas BBQ, for a night to remember.

The monkeys that climb over your villa roof in the night come free!!;)

Besides that, I do agree there is little to do on Bintan unless you like golf:D

As the previous person suggested - Sentosa is a nice day out too if you want relaxation.

For a taste of what Singapore used to be like before it became a modern city, head out to Changi Village in the north part of the Singapore :) Easily doable in a day. http://www.viator.com/tours/Singapore/East-Coast-of-Singapore-and-Changi-Village-Malay-Ethnic-Area/d18-3695HC

Also be sure to visit Little India.

Or, if you don't mind travelling, head out to Malacca to really step back in time - one of my favourite places.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Singapore/Malacca-Malaysia-Full-Day-Tour-from-Singapore/d18-3695MALC

Greg. Just noticed you are on Azamara in January. Just wondering if you have thought about what you are doing in Halong Bay yet? We are hoping to do a junk overnight tour and wondering if you can do it without a visa, as my understanding is that Azamara has our visas. As for Singapore we thought we would just do Sentosa Island (We are only there half a day) on our own. Transportation looks easy in singapore.

Pat

• 3 years later...

Archived