Passenger overboard from Allure??

philamike

A friend currently on the Allure of the Seas (which is hosting a charter cruise this week) posted on Facebook that the ship was off the coast of Cozumel and surrounded by rescue boats.

And a search on Twitter found this post from a passenger on board:

Retardicans FRANK ROSE

A cruise ship passenger just fell off the ship I'm on. The Allure of the Seas is the ship I'm on. $rcl @cnnbrk @msnbc_breaking @FoxNews

Looking at Marine Traffic, it seems that the Allure did spend some extra time off the coast of Cozumel before docking about an hour late.

Anyone know anything??

Sitting at Paradise Beach typing...

I am on Mariner, and as we were pulling into Coz this morning, we came to a stop along with Allure. Seems Allure had a person go overboard this morning within sight of Coz, and we dropped our zodiacs to assist in the search (as announced by the Capt.). we then proceeded to dock. As I was walking down the pier, Allure was coming in, I have no info so far as to the outcome of the search...

PRC

And I just placed a post a few days ago in another thread that was talking about this sailing on how it's no wonder people fall off ships ....a bit ironic http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32211586&postcount=6

A clearer pix of another Atlantis group sailing. On a different note....notice the guys standing on the the chairs or table right at the rail on the port side Aquatheater suite deck 9....no wonder why people fall over the rails and get killed:rolleyes:

Atlantis-Allure-of-the-Seas.jpg

This link just popped up in a Twitter search:

http://www.sipse.com/noticias/143047-pasajero-crucero-salta-embarcacion.html

I don't know Spanish, but from what Google Translate could decipher, a passenger on Allure went overboard and it was reported to local authorities at 6:15 this morning. 2.5 miles from the dock.

:-(

And I just placed a post a few days ago in another thread that was talking about this sailing on how it's no wonder people fall off ships ....a bit ironic http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32211586&postcount=6

But such people are usually doing something especially stupid which ends up having tragic results. Under most circumstances it is very difficult to "fall off a ship". Using common sense (don't stand on chairs or tables) and behaving normally is less likely to result in fatalities, although I suppose that the recent death on the Liberty might have just been a tragic misstep on stairs resulting in the passenger's fatal fall.

But such people are usually doing something especially stupid which ends up having tragic results. Using common sense (don't stand on chairs or tables) and behaving normally is less likely to result in fatalities, although I suppose that the recent death on the Liberty might have just been a tragic misstep on stairs resulting in the passenger's fatal fall.

That was exactly my point.

Wow, seems like since Concordia, its terrible news every other day for the cruising industry! :(

You have to realize that in much of the news industry "if it bleeds,it leads". The media is much more likely to print stories about a death on a cruise ship than the thousands of people who cruises are uneventful. As veteran cruisers we are also much more sensitive to stories about cruising and cruise ships than the general public.

That's awful , only a few days since hearing of a lady slipping on stairs and falling to her death on Liberty .How on earth do you fall from your balcony ., does anyone know what the charter was ? That's one big ship to charter .

Thoughts and prayers for family and friends of missing man , it doesn't sound likely they will find him now .

Another report: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/world_news&id=8530223

Between this and some Twitter posts, it seems that the staff made an announcement throughout the ship at 6:30 a.m., paging someone to contact guest services. Then at 7 a.m., ALL passengers were instructed to go to their muster stations so that everyone could be counted. Passengers were permitted to return to their cabins at 9 a.m.

A search is under way in waters near Mexico for a British cruise ship passenger who apparently went overboard.

The Royal Caribbean International cruise line said Friday that another passenger saw the 30-year-old man go over the railing from his stateroom on the Allure of the Seas. That was backed up by footage from an onboard video camera.

The man's name was not immediately released.

The man went overboard as the ship was sailing to Cozumel, Mexico. The Mexican Navy and Coast Guard are assisting in the search.

The Allure of the Seas departed Sunday on a seven-night cruise from Fort Lauderdale.

The man went overboard as the ship was sailing to Cozumel, Mexico. The Mexican Navy and Coast Guard are assisting in the search.

So a 2 man dinghy and a Coast Guard Cutter are conducting the search?

LOL. I kid, I kid. I couldn't resist.

On the serious side, I hope this passenger is found ok.

Archived