Cruising to Italy then From Italy to Florida???

Is there a trip where there is a way that this is done? Where you get on the ship at Ft. Lauderdale cruise the atlantic then see Rome Italy and Naples and all of eastern italy and then cruise again to the americas back?

I think that would be somthing I would like to do, is to leave here for 3 days at sea, See Rome, Naples, Sicily and Maybe Greece, and then cruise back, I wonder how long would that be, like a back to back. I bet that would be a wonderful trip

Loretta any suggestions or opinions?

Is there a trip where there is a way that this is done? Where you get on the ship at Ft. Lauderdale cruise the atlantic then see Rome Italy and Naples and all of eastern italy and then cruise again to the americas back?

I think that would be somthing I would like to do, is to leave here for 3 days at sea, See Rome, Naples, Sicily and Maybe Greece, and then cruise back, I wonder how long would that be, like a back to back. I bet that would be a wonderful trip

Most of the cruise ships leave Florida for Europe in the Spring and return to Florida in the Fall. You could sail to Rome, stay the entire Summer and come back in the Fall. As far as '3 days at sea' it generally takes six days.

Padraic

Spring, 2010, book one of the repo cruises to the Med/Italy. Then book Cunard from London back to the USA (NY most trips, some go to Florida from NY).

Probably take most of a month-about 2 weeks over, a few days to get to London, then 6-7 days on Cunard to get back to the USA. IF you do minimum cabins, can probably be done for about $3000.00pp all in-hotels, air, and two cruises.

Spring, 2010, book one of the repo cruises to the Med/Italy. Then book Cunard from London back to the USA (NY most trips, some go to Florida from NY).

Probably take most of a month-about 2 weeks over, a few days to get to London, then 6-7 days on Cunard to get back to the USA. IF you do minimum cabins, can probably be done for about $3000.00pp all in-hotels, air, and two cruises.

Sounds great to me, adding in land time in Italy and England!

Most of the major lines like Celebrity, Holland America, NCL, RCCL, will leave Florida in late spring to reposition their ships in Europe. These itineraries will feature Mediterranean ports which will include Italy as well as Portugal, Spain and France.

You could potentially, book one of these transatlantics from Florida and then try and book a six night westbound transatlantic aboard the QM2 from Southampton to New York.

I did a quick search for you and found a 20-day Holland America Line transantlantic aboard the Westerdam April 14, 2010, Fort Lauderdale to Venice, Italy. This voyage includes stops in Rome, Naples, Sicily, Venice as well as Spain, France, Croatia, Portugal and Albania.

Your best bet is to do a search through some of the online cruise agencies and plug in the dates and destinations you are most interested in. Good Luck.

Jonathan

Sounds great to me, adding in land time in Italy and England!

Actually, you could even take THREE cruises-strictly a repo that ends in Rome (RCCL Navigator), then either MSC or Costa around Italy/Spain/France or Greece and Cunard has a boarding out of Germany back to NYC. Or take the train/fly to London for the return to the USA

You could do all three cruises for about $3500pp in the lowest price cabin-would take slightly over a month. NOT a bad vacation.

The OP wants to cruise to and from Italy and not from London.

First of all, it takes much longer than 3 days to cruise from Ft Lauderdale/Miami to Italy. Probably would take at least 7 days. But, unless you want to spend the entire summer and fall in Europe, there's not one cruise line that does round trips from Italy to the US on a monthly basis.

Like some have said, there are a few round trips to and from NY to London on Cunard, and you can do back to backs on that, but again you specifically said you want Italy and not London. And with those back to backs, you don't have any time to tour as the ship leaves the same day as it arrives to go back to NY.

Cruise lines reposition from the US to Europe in late March or April and they don't return to the US until October/November/December. And for those repositioning cruises, most end in either London, Barcelona or Lisbon and not in Italy.

The Tahitian Princess has a couple of cruises that do Northern Europe from NY and then another from Europe by to NY. So you could do a back to back cruise-but no Italy in the mix. This is in July and august.

HAL Masdam is doing something similar from Boston, I like it better because you also do several ports in Canada on it before you get to Rotterdam and do northern Europe and if you stay on ship all 42 days by doing the back to back, you do not repeat ports. But again, no Italy. That cruise is VERY northern Europe as in Iceland, Scotland, and Holland. In Canada it is Newfoundland.

I wonder though if you got a TA to research it-if you could go over or come back on the Queen Mary (or a mix, perhaps HAL Masdam one way and Tahitian Princess the other way) instead, so you could throw in a med cruise in the mix also-as someone said, make it three cruises. Of course, if you are against flying you know you would need to take some trains in between to get to your destinations between ships.

I imagine though that would take 2 months to accomplish all of that huh? But wow! What a dream vacation that would be!

You'd have to do your homework, but with the lines repositioning between the Caribbean and the Med, maybe if you could find one line heading back to the Med, and another line heading back from there to the Caribbean a couple of weeks later, you could go one way on one line, spend a a week or two there, and back on another line. And as Kitty9 siad, it's going to be LOT longer than 3 days on the Atlantic. At least 7, maybe more.

Here is the best I have come up with and it is New York and not FL. But if you took Amtrak to NY (I am assuming you do not want to fly), On May 31st (12 days from today) you can take the Queen Mary 2 from NY to Southampton-you arrive June 6. Then on June 10th you can board the Queen Victoria for a 10 day med cruise, round trip Southampton. You arrive back in Southampton June 23rd. Then June 25 you can board the Queen may 2 to return to NY.

A little late to plan that though unless you are retired.

Here is the best I have come up with and it is New York and not FL. But if you took Amtrak to NY (I am assuming you do not want to fly), On May 31st (12 days from today) you can take the Queen Mary 2 from NY to Southampton-you arrive June 6. Then on June 10th you can board the Queen Victoria for a 10 day med cruise, round trip Southampton. You arrive back in Southampton June 23rd. Then June 25 you can board the Queen may 2 to return to NY.

A little late to plan that though unless you are retired.

LOL! that is a 13 day med cruise. The web site I looked at called it a 10 day cruise but obviously it is 13 days.

BTW- I found a Queen Mary 2 cruise-Sept 8 to October 2 that does a med cruise. The site I found it at, the cheapest inside is around $3500 and $12,000 for a suite. I did not think that was too bad a price. I wish I could go. Hey I would take the $3500 cheapie! LOL!

so Loretta, that gives you 3 months to plan-if you don't mind hopping Amtrak or flying to NY.

Since you mentioned only Italy, I am guessing you or spouse speak some Italian. A knowledge of a romance language would mak this vacation more enjoyable, but it's very doable without.

TA to Europe, spend your time in Spain, Italy and Portugal.

Trains in Europe are not too expensive, very fast and good. Another TA back to FL and you've had the best of Southern Europe and cruising. In Europe stay in hotels Europeans stay in, lower cost and better service, or in pensions.

Very doable if you have the time to research before, the ability to adapt if necessary and the time for the vacation.

Since you mentioned only Italy, I am guessing you or spouse speak some Italian. A knowledge of a romance language would mak this vacation more enjoyable, but it's very doable without.

Trains in Europe are not too expensive, very fast and good. Another TA back to FL and you've had the best of Southern Europe and cruising. In Europe stay in hotels Europeans stay in, lower cost and better service, or in pensions.

Very doable if you have the time to research before, the ability to adapt if necessary and the time for the vacation.

Yes I am from Sicily, would like to go back and see my other family members my other brothers and sisters there. When we were kids our family brought over us as teenagers and our other siblings were married and lived away in Messina. I would love to go back to see them not by plane or train but by relaxing cruising. to me that is a vacation first then see the family, to me visiting is not a vacation its more like a (vocation. and i did spell it right) its always somthing going on at our families houses. I do speak it fluently and read and write it too.

Loretta

The only TAs that go both ways at the same time of year would be Cunard. Otherwise-you can take a TA from FL to Europe in the spring and then Europe to the US in the fall. This is because many lines have ships in the Caribbean in the winter and then will reposition their ships to Europe for the summer.

We did have fellow cruisers on our Constellation Sept. 07 TA that had cruised over on the Queen Mary 2.

Archived