Istanbul Hotel?

sfgoguy

Before I begin the web search with the accompanying unreliable guest ratings, does anyone have recommendations for good 3-4 star (out of 5) hotels in Istanbul? I'm particularly interested in easy access to the Asia side of the Bosphorus since that's an area of Istanbul I've not visited.

My tentative dates in Istanbul are August 15, 16 and 17 before boarding the Atlantis cruise on the Seabourn Quest. I note that I'll be there during Ramadan, but that was also the case in my first visit to Istanbul and I didn't find the holiday period made any difference at all. :)

We very much enjoyed the Acra Hotel (http://www.acrahotel.com/index.asp) when we last were in IST. It's located in Sultanahmet about 2 minutes walk south of the Blue Mosque. From the mosque, you can catch the T1 tram line for two stops, and get off at Galata bridge (Eminönü) for the ferries. Ride over the bridge, and your stop is Sirkeci - and that's most likely where your ship will be moored.

The hotel itself has an interesting provenance that you can read about here: http://www.acrahotel.com/index.asp?action=heritage

Istanbul is very secular, but for at least one night, do make sure to break the fast and take in a traditional iftar dinner.

Scott.

We very much enjoyed the Acra Hotel (http://www.acrahotel.com/index.asp) when we last were in IST. It's located in Sultanahmet about 2 minutes walk south of the Blue Mosque. From the mosque, you can catch the T1 tram line for two stops, and get off at Galata bridge (Eminönü) for the ferries. Ride over the bridge, and your stop is Sirkeci - and that's most likely where your ship will be moored.

The hotel itself has an interesting provenance that you can read about here: http://www.acrahotel.com/index.asp?action=heritage

Istanbul is very secular, but for at least one night, do make sure to break the fast and take in a traditional iftar dinner.

Scott.

I appreciate the recommendation and will go on-line to research the Acra Hotel.

P.S. I loved the Signature postscript quotes from Plato and Oscar Wilde. Will certainly retain for usage sometime. Thanks for those, too. :)

We were in Istanbul last September prior to boarding the Seabourn Odyssey. We stayed at the Sirkeci Konak which is right off the Topkapi Palace. Loved the place. The staff is helpful, the breakfast spread is fantastic, and the location is convenient to the major sites and a quick 10 minute cab ride to the port.

We were in Istanbul last September prior to boarding the Seabourn Odyssey. We stayed at the Sirkeci Konak which is right off the Topkapi Palace. Loved the place. The staff is helpful, the breakfast spread is fantastic, and the location is convenient to the major sites and a quick 10 minute cab ride to the port.

I'll Google it and add it to the list of options.

BTW, did you enjoy Seabourn? I'll be on the Quest (my 1st Seabourn experience). From the CC blog on Seabourn it seems that their service and "all inclusive bar" features are slipping? I'll be disappointed if it's nothing more than a 450 passenger Celebrity cruise! :rolleyes:

Before boarding the Nautica 2 years ago, my partner and I stayed at the Tom Tom suites hotel (www.tomtomsuites.com)

Tomtom Suites is an authentic Istanbul building whose posture reflects the social history of Pera from 1850’s to recent. Throughout its history, this building was home for French nuns and some well-known Levantine families.

From the upper floor terrace very nice view on the Bosphorus...Very quiet area...And not too far from Istambul cruise terminal.

We would higly recommend ths hotel

I have stayed a few times at the Hotel Amira, about a 5 minute walk from Blue Mosque. With everything in mind (comfort, service, location), it's just about the best hotel I've stayed at worldwide...and I travel for a living. I highly recommend looking in to it. It's currently ranked #2 of all hotels in Istanbul on Tripadvisor.

I, too, have heard great things about Sirkeci Konak...but I just cannot pull myself away from Hotel Amira.

http://www.hotelamira.com/

We're booked at the Witt. It's a great modern place and we've stayed here before. There are 2 penthouse rooms with spectacular views of Sultanahmet (old city). It's located on the Beyoglu side which is away from the big tourist areas of the old city. However, it's an easy tram ride to the Blue Mosque and other tourist spots.

This isn't the place to stay for everyone. It's up a steep hill from the tram stop, but it offers great local experience and an easy walk to the Istiklal shopping area and Taksim square.

I'll Google it and add it to the list of options.

BTW, did you enjoy Seabourn? I'll be on the Quest (my 1st Seabourn experience). From the CC blog on Seabourn it seems that their service and "all inclusive bar" features are slipping? I'll be disappointed if it's nothing more than a 450 passenger Celebrity cruise! :rolleyes:

Sorry for the delayed response. Seabourn was my first cruise ever so I don't know what other cruise lines offer. However, I suspect that I've been spoiled forever.

What did I really like?

Not having to pay for or sign for anything after we boarded the ship. Well... that's not exactly true since we had to spend the $400 OBC and ended up having to go to the store on the last day to spend the last 100...

Being able to ask for almost anything, anywhere on the ship. You want caviar by the pool at 2 in the afternoon? It shows up in 15-20 minutes. You want an espresso martini? The bartender in the observation lounge will travel down a couple of floors to Seabourn Square to get some espresso for the drink.

Open dining. Being able to walk into a restaurant anytime their open with any number of diners is a refreshing way to eat. We had anywhere from 2-8 people and ate at the MDR anywhere from 6-8:30. Never had a problem and always seated immediately.

I wasn't on an all gay-cruise but there was no problems on the ship. All the staff and passengers that I interacted were friendly and welcoming. It should be interesting to see how the Atlantis experience translates to Seabourn. From what I've heard from friends that have been on Celebrity that it's a non-stop party. That's not what I think when you say Seabourn... but who knows! Open space for a "rave" would be a problem on the Quest. The pool area doesn't have a huge open space. The club has a pretty small dance floor that could fit maybe 50-75 grinding bodies at a time. The theater probably has the most open floor space and even there I don't think you could really have a massive all ship inclusive party... If it turns out to be a more luxurious version of the Celebrity ship itineraries then I'll be curious to see how Atlantis sets things up. Please post your thoughts after the cruise.

PS - I thought of one other thing. If this is your first time on Seabourn then definitely head over to the Seabourn site and get a referral credit. It will get both you and the referrer $400 OBC/cabin. I still haven't gotten the referral coupons or I'd offer you one myself.

Sorry for the delayed response. Seabourn was my first cruise ever so I don't know what other cruise lines offer. However, I suspect that I've been spoiled forever.

What did I really like?

Not having to pay for or sign for anything after we boarded the ship. Well... that's not exactly true since we had to spend the $400 OBC and ended up having to go to the store on the last day to spend the last 100...

Being able to ask for almost anything, anywhere on the ship. You want caviar by the pool at 2 in the afternoon? It shows up in 15-20 minutes. You want an espresso martini? The bartender in the observation lounge will travel down a couple of floors to Seabourn Square to get some espresso for the drink.

Open dining. Being able to walk into a restaurant anytime their open with any number of diners is a refreshing way to eat. We had anywhere from 2-8 people and ate at the MDR anywhere from 6-8:30. Never had a problem and always seated immediately.

I wasn't on an all gay-cruise but there was no problems on the ship. All the staff and passengers that I interacted were friendly and welcoming. It should be interesting to see how the Atlantis experience translates to Seabourn. From what I've heard from friends that have been on Celebrity that it's a non-stop party. That's not what I think when you say Seabourn... but who knows! Open space for a "rave" would be a problem on the Quest. The pool area doesn't have a huge open space. The club has a pretty small dance floor that could fit maybe 50-75 grinding bodies at a time. The theater probably has the most open floor space and even there I don't think you could really have a massive all ship inclusive party... If it turns out to be a more luxurious version of the Celebrity ship itineraries then I'll be curious to see how Atlantis sets things up. Please post your thoughts after the cruise.

PS - I thought of one other thing. If this is your first time on Seabourn then definitely head over to the Seabourn site and get a referral credit. It will get both you and the referrer $400 OBC/cabin. I still haven't gotten the referral coupons or I'd offer you one myself.

Appreciate the critique of your experience on Seabourn. I'm really looking forward to the cruise and the unusual, small ports that just cannot accommodate larger ships. The only itinerary change that Atlantis did from the regular Seabourn cruise was to delete a port in Crete (which I would have loved) and add Mykonos. You can image why, but when it comes to Mykonos I've "been there and done that" 3 or 4 times, now. So, I may stay onboard and hit the spa.

This will not be a typical Atlantis "party cruise" for the very reasons you mention - the space is inadequate for large crowd gatherings. I expect there will be some pool side entertainment and, perhaps, special evening entertainment in addition to the Seabourn's regular offerings. That is the way it was on a somewhat similar 2009 Atlantis Tahitian cruise on a Regent ship. Don't get me wrong - I love Atlantis's T-dances and most late parties, but I also enjoy the less hectic atmoshpere...and the service, of course...that I'm expecting on Seabourn. And, that $0.00 bar tab is not to be overlooked, either! :eek:

I'll investigate the $400 OBC referral link you mentioned. Anyone out there want to make me a referral????? ;) Our cruise is not for ~ 7 months, so if you get your coupons....

Thanks, again, for the hotel referral and the Seabourn review.

Actually I found out that you have to ask for the coupons. I just did, so I should receive them from the Seattle office shortly. I'll let you know when I receive them. I also asked a couple of questions to the Seabourn Club to make sure that the referral OBC is available for this cruise. Wasn't 100% sure since Atlantis has chartered the entire ship... I figure they should. This is a massive opportunity for Seabourn to attract a bunch of new customers.

I'll post something in the roll call when I get an answer back from the head office.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey there,

I have stayed in the Blue House Hotel and it was very nice. Good breakfast, excellent location, helpful staff.

Nothing gay about it, but still an excellent hotel.

http://www.bluehousehotel.com/english/default.asp

Todd

Thanks, Todd. Will check out the website for Blue House Hotel.

BTW, I note that you've been on the Paul Gauguin and the Seabourn Pride. How do they compare? This cruise will be on the Seabourn Quest, which I think is a sister to the Pride. I've been on the Paul Gauguin, and anxious to hear your comparison. Thanks. ;)

Thanks, Todd. Will check out the website for Blue House Hotel.

BTW, I note that you've been on the Paul Gauguin and the Seabourn Pride. How do they compare? This cruise will be on the Seabourn Quest, which I think is a sister to the Pride. I've been on the Paul Gauguin, and anxious to hear your comparison. Thanks. ;)

Hey Gary,

The Quest I think is one of the newer ships with Seabourne. I loved the PG and Tahiti. The Pride was a great trip and the small ship with 200 guests was interesting. I think my friend and I were the most visable gays and there was one couple as well. If you like small ship cruising, then you will like Seabourne a lot.

Have a great time on ship.

Todd :cool:

• 2 months later...

my hotel booking for August and thought I'd check for any additional Istanbul recommendations. Will certainly check out all those offered previously.

Since I've been to IST before (just 2 years ago), I won't do the usual tourist activities. Instead, I think I'll spend a day on the Asian side of the Bosphorus and perhaps a day-trip ferry ride somewhere interesting.

So, if you have a hotel recommendation with a location convenient for my purposes, let me know. Beyond-the-usual sight-seeing recommendations encouraged, too. Much appreciated. :)

Archived