Zeebrugge to Bruges. Some options how to get there.

There will probably be a shuttle bus (it was free on our cruise) to the seaside city of Blankenberge where the bus stops right across the steet from the train station. You can then take the train (runs about once an hour) to Bruges for only a few Euros (round trip). Keep in mind that once you are in Bruges you will need to do some walking in order to enjoy this delightful city. Bruges is a place designed for walking and biking. In fact, the owner of the B&B we recently used, during a trip to Bruges, said he never used a car in, or around, Bruges. He went everywhere on foot or on his bike (this seems to be the norm).

Hank

We are also on the Poesia. Hank, was your's an MSC ?

Seems a bit awkward trying to get to Bruges from the port. Does anyone know if Cunard provide a shuttle to the station? Alternatively, if anyone is doing the summer getaway on the Queen Elizabeth arriving in Zeebrugge 29th August, would they like to share a taxi?

Seems a bit awkward trying to get to Bruges from the port. Does anyone know if Cunard provide a shuttle to the station? Alternatively, if anyone is doing the summer getaway on the Queen Elizabeth arriving in Zeebrugge 29th August, would they like to share a taxi?

Go to the ROLL CALL for your cruise where you might find others to share

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1396767

Edited by LHT28

Once upon a time...

when there was QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 in 2007...

There we a had a complimentary shuttle to Blankenberge...

See here:

http://heinbloed-minis.blogspot.com

Check here with ARTENIA in 2010 - then you could see the surrounding around Blankenberge (Day 2 of the cruise).

Regards

HeinBloed

We just returned from Zeebrugge port, August 7, 2011 and the ship provided a free shuttle to the train station. Others had arranged private taxi or cars. We hired a taxi and they picked us up and dropped us off in a convenient spot where at theend of the day we were once again collected. It was all smooth and the ride into town is about 20 minutes.

From where we were dropped off the canal boat ride is about a 15 minute walk. Just past the main square area.

First remark. The map is quite good but you have the cruise terminal, but vessels over a certain lenght will be at the container yard close to the main road. For example Oceania Regatta and sisters are at the cruise terminal but the Marina and Cunards Queen Victoria at the container yard. The are just a few meters to long!!!

There you are only 200 m from the terminal entrance but.. you are not allowed to walk. There are small shuttle buses from the Port Authority... hectic not scoping with the number of passengers.

Now alternative for taxi drive is using an incomming agent. A reputable one is: Hansa IncomingOostendsesteenweg 135

8000 Brugge, Belgium

T: 0032 50 39 56 94

F: 0032 50 39 55 83

E: info@incoming.be

They handle individuals aswell as groups.

Not only for Bruges but those who want Ghent or Brussels.

Note that due to traffic and limited hours on cruise ship calls wud not recommend Brussels by road, only direct trains (and still it will be in a hurry!)

First remark. The map is quite good but you have the cruise terminal, but vessels over a certain lenght will be at the container yard close to the main road. For example Oceania Regatta and sisters are at the cruise terminal but the Marina and Cunards Queen Victoria at the container yard. The are just a few meters to long!!!

There you are only 200 m from the terminal entrance but.. you are not allowed to walk. There are small shuttle buses from the Port Authority... hectic not scoping with the number of passengers.

[/i]

Thank you for clarifying this.

Our experience was with the Regatta and, as you mention, it and other ships of similar size still go to the cruise terminal, which is towards the far end of the south pier. I was not aware that large cruise ships are not able to use that facility and that is the reason for using the 'Zweedse Kaai'.

Someone on CC had insisted that all ships go to the latter, but that is not the case.

Can you also verify that trains still go from the Strand Station to Brugge during the summer months? Although it is along a road without sidewalks, it is still possible to walk from the cruise terminal to the Strand Station to take a train from there if a shuttle is not provided.

We are also on the Poesia. Hank, was your's an MSC ?

Nope. Our most recent visit was on HA, and previously we have been to the port on RCI. I should have stressed the fact that most cruise lines do not go out of their way to passengers good advance info on their options. In fact, the cruise lines profit from selling overpriced excursions (and transfers) so it is not in their interests to inform passengers of much less costly options. HA is a bit different in that they have a real professional port lecturer on their longer cruises who is not part of the excursion operation. These lecturers usually have special hours (often in the libarary) where they will help folks with good port info (too bad all the lines do not have this service). On our recent Prinsendam cruise this lecturer (a well-known Brit named Frank Buckingham) did a great job in telling folks that there would be the free shuttle service from the ship into Blankenberg (where you can catch the inexpensive train to Bruges). Our understanding was that this shuttle bus service was provided by the port and Blankenberg....not our cruise line.

Hank

There has been some confusion about the train service out of Zeebrugge direct. Please allow me the following.

If your cruise line does not provide shuttle service to the train station in Blankenberg (a town further along the coast from Zeebrugge) and you don't want to take an expensive taxi, you can still consider the following:

1. If your ship should dock at the normal cruise ship terminal you could consider a one mile walk to the Strand Station. However, this station is operational only during certain days and times outlined below. If you should arrive before June 25 or after August 28 this will not work.

By train to and from Zeebrugge Strand station.

Weekdays from June 25 until August 28, 2011:

* Zeebrugge-Brugge from 6:33 am until 9:32 pm every hour

* Brugge-Zeebrugge from 6:07 am until 9:09 pm every hour

Saturday and Sunday from June 25 until August 28:

* Zeebrugge-Brugge from 7:33 am until 8:32 pm every hour

* Brugge-Zeebrugge from 7:07 am until 8:09 pm every hour

All other dates the train goes from Dorp Station in Zeebrugge to Brugge.

Info: Tel + 32 2 528 28 28 | http://www.b-rail.be

2. If your ship is too long for the normal terminal dock and it has to go to the cargo dock, and a shuttle to Blankenberg is not provided, you can go to the tram station just outside the port entrance (a very short shuttle ride of a few hundred feet). The tram goes along the coast to the train station in Blankenberg.

You could walk to the Strand Station in Zeebrugge as an alternate way. I suggest you have a look at the map posted earlier.

If you should arrive before June 25 or after August 28, simply walk across the main road to the Dorp train station. It is a couple blocks through the village of Zeebrugge. That is faster unless you happen to pick the wrong time of day, in which case you can still take the tram to Blankenberg.

I hope this confusing post clarifies your options.

BTW Oceania is one of the cruise lines that never offered a shuttle (to the best of my knowledge). I am curious to learn what cruise lines did offer this service. Anyone???

• 2 weeks later...

The following is a message I received from the port authority of Zeebrugge. It is in response to my question related to this whole confusing subject. I think the reply clarifies all the questions related to where ships dock and the shuttle bus service(s).

Note that the port shuttle service from the Maritime Station is new and that the drop-off point should be close to the Strand train station. This should not be confused with any shuttles offered by the cruise ship.

Dear Mr *****,

Until recently the situation was unclear but that has changed now.

Zeebrugge has 2 berthing facilities for cruise ships: the Maritime Station for ships up to 200 m length and the Swedish Quay for larger ships.

At both locations the port authority offers a free shuttle service from the ship’s gangway to a location just outside the official port zone or port terminal.

Public transport is available in the immediate vicinity of this drop-off point. There are trams every 15 minutes, either to Knokke-Heist or to Blankenberge. The easiest way to make an excursion to Bruges is to take the tram to the railway station in Blankenberge where there are trains to/from Bruges every half hour.

Capacities of the free port authority shuttle bus vary between 38 and 52 seats.

Some ships also offer shuttle services, but these mostly go directly to the train station in Blankenberge. This service is paid for by the cruise line. Whether or not they charge their passengers for this shuttle depends on the individual cruise line.

Cruise traffic is on the up in Zeebrugge. The port authority is making continuous efforts to improve its service to the cruise lines and their passengers.

As the 2011 cruise season is nearing the end, an evaluation of this year’s experiences will certainly lead to a fine-tuning of the free shuttle service.

I hope this has been of assistance.

Best regards,

Piet Vandenkerkhove

Port of Zeebrugge, Public Relations

Edited by Lair Bear

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Note that the port shuttle service from the Maritime Station is new

Thanks for this update. The port authority have pdfs for each of their shuttle bus links withe the tram and train stations here

http://www.portofzeebrugge.be/sites/all/files/flyer_zweedse%20kaai_website.pdf

and

http://www.portofzeebrugge.be/sites/all/files/flyer_zeestation_website_0.pdf

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You mentioned a nice walking tour of Bruges that starts at the railroad station. http://www.********.com/Brugge%205.html

please send me the site at jhotze@carolina.rr.com as it has been blocked and I would appreciate the information as we are going in June. Also you mention the tram outside the port...to turn west? Is that right or left? thanks

Edited by hotzej

• 1 month later...

Just a note to say thank you to 'The Bear' for this valuable mine of information. I've downloaded the port maps to the ipad and we'll definitely take the shuttle, tram and train route to Bruges. Now I'm off to check whether his expert eye has been trained on other ports and cities on the Baltic itinerary. Thanks again.

We have decided that it would be best to book a taxi to take us from the port to Bruges as my mother recently broke her hip and can't walk long distances. We will be on the Queen Elizabeth which I think would be classed as a big ship, and thus will dock at Swedish Quay.

Can we pick up the taxi from the port, or do we need to take the shuttle bus and meet our taxi at the end of the shuttle bus ride?

Thanks!

Just a note to say thank you to 'The Bear' for this valuable mine of information. I've downloaded the port maps to the ipad and we'll definitely take the shuttle, tram and train route to Bruges. Now I'm off to check whether his expert eye has been trained on other ports and cities on the Baltic itinerary. Thanks again.

On his website you will also find walks in Talinn, Amsterdam and more.

Also his review about his baltic cruise which he made in some years ago.

• 2 months later...

I just came back from a cruise. The easiest way from Zeebrugge to Brugge is to use the cruise bus, but it also a most expensive way. It will cost you 8 euros to take you from the cruise ship to the Zeebrugge train station. From there you will buy a train ticket to go to Brugge. Taxi is not a best option too. All the taxi come to the cruise ship are 8 seater van. It will cost you 90 ( not sure) or so one way to Brugge. I only saw two vans stop at the ship when I got off. If you want to save some money and get some fellow cruisers share the taxi with you, I have tried, it is tough to work it out. It is a big boat, every one arrived at different time. It is very hard to gather everybody.

The way I did is to take the bus from the port authority, they will send the bus to take you to the gate, so no one will wondering around the port and get hurt. After You get off , turn right at gate. Find the tram station in the middle of the road. You don't need to across the street, just take the one with your same direction. This stop should be near a church standing across street. The tram looks like the one in the airport. They consider it as a bus in Zeebrugge. Now you need to remember the stop you get on is called Berk and don't forget the church. You get on the tram and buy the ticket from the bus driver to Blankenberge. I paid two euros for one way and it is cheaper to buy the return ticket. This tram will stops at a very busy cross street, it should be the Blankenberge. Get off and walk straight you will get into the train station. Buy a return ticket to Brugge. After you get off at the Brugge, buy a map at train station, because the street is quite confusing in Brugge and you don't want to miss the train by getting lost. Most importantly , give yourself enough time to go back. Because you don't know when the train is going to leave for Blankenberge . I almost miss the boat because I miss the train I am supposed to take. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking through this thread trying to figure out the best way to get from the port to Brugge. I plugged this trip into Google Maps and it is telling me that the easiest way to get from the Port to Brugge is by taking the 47 and 16 bus, NOT the tram to the Blakenberge and train to Brugge.

Can anyone comment?

X has a pretty good tour

Bruges Sights & Beer Tasting, BU09, Bruges,(Zeebrugge),Belgium

OVERVIEW: There is no doubt that Belgium is the country of beer since it offers more than 450 varieties of brew. The highlight of this tour is a beer seminar and tasting at a local café. You'll also enjoy a guided walking tour through Bruges and free time to shop at your own pace. HIGHLIGHTS: Experience the highlights of Bruges on a guided walking tour including the Market Square, the Belfry Tower and Burg Square. Explore the tastes and flavors of four different beers at a local café. Search for the perfect souvenir or treat in Bruges' lace, chocolate and beer shops. NOTES: Guests must be able to walk approximately 2 miles over even and cobblestone surfaces.

Approx. Duration:4 hour(s) 30 minute(s) *Current Price:Starting from:

79.00 Adult (USD)

79.00 Child (USD)

0.00 Infant (USD)

I was looking through this thread trying to figure out the best way to get from the port to Brugge. I plugged this trip into Google Maps and it is telling me that the easiest way to get from the Port to Brugge is by taking the 47 and 16 bus, NOT the tram to the Blakenberge and train to Brugge.

Can anyone comment?

The way we have done it is to get the free shuttle bus from the ship which takes you to Blankenberge station. From there we got the train into Bruges which is about a 12 minutes journey. There is then about a 15 minute walk into Bruges town centre. (There was no tram involved).

http://www.b-rail.be/main/N/ - train info. Leaves Blankenberge 11 minutes past the hour. Leaves Bruges 36 minutes past the hour

• 3 months later...
The way we have done it is to get the free shuttle bus from the ship which takes you to Blankenberge station. From there we got the train into Bruges which is about a 12 minutes journey. There is then about a 15 minute walk into Bruges town centre. (There was no tram involved).

http://www.b-rail.be/main/N/ - train info. Leaves Blankenberge 11 minutes past the hour. Leaves Bruges 36 minutes past the hour

Which cruise line d you travel? Anyone know what celebrity usually does? I find it hard to believe that the shuttle is free on X. Have seen very high prices in places like Mykonos 11/pp forb2 min ride (each way!!)

We road the free bus from the pier to the port gate(X won't tell you about the free bus) asked a policeman on the pier. Walk down the road and caught the tram, then took the tram to the train rode the train to Brugge. Got there way before anyone else and had the whole town to ourselves which was great. By 10:30 town was overrun by fellow passengers. We found the people of the area very helpful and almost everyone speaks English.

• 3 weeks later...
I was with Cunard.

I was always under the impression that the local commerce and/or port authorities supplied the shuttle buses for free. The only port I've ever had to pay for one was Helsinki.

Hello,

I'm a local living 40 kms from Brugge (Bruges). Yes this shutle bus is FOC.

See also: http://www.poz.be/sites/all/files/flyer_zweedse%20kaai_website_0.pdf

Link above gives you also a small map of the area + taxi info.

I have heared that the cruise lines don't like the free shuttle bus because they sell less excursions like this, so they certainly don't promote it.

From Zeebrugge you can visit Bruges, Ghent or also Ypres (WW1 battle fields). If you have questions just ask. I'll try to answer them! I got some great help for planning my trips via CC, so I like to return the favour!