How much time from Tenby to beaches?

We have an excursion that takes us to see Welsh Love Spoons being made and then to Tenby. My DW would like to swim at one of the beaches, preferably with a lifeguard and no dogs.

I see from the tour detailed description that we get 45 minutes in Tenby. Does this give her enough time to get to and from the beach with a swim and get back to the excursion bus in time?

I don't think any of us know, hence no reply yet :(

I have been to Tenby years ago, but don't remember much about it. It is not a very big place, but it depends where your coach parks or drops off/picks up and how accessible the beach is from there.

Maybe someone will be along soon with more info. It just seems a bit of a tight gap to me, given she will have to change and dry off etc.

Found this about an excursion...

After touring Carew Castle, you'll continue on to nearby Tenby, a charming seaside resort town whose three award-winning beaches have earned it the title of "Queen of Welsh Resorts". Due to the narrowness of the streets, it is necessary for the coach to park on the outskirts of the old town and from there, it's a leisurely walk down to the harbor front. Your time here is on your own and you are free to stroll along the cobbled streets, wander about the delightful harbor, or sample the local cuisine. There is a colorful mural in Market Hall which traces the area's most important events that you won't want to miss. The more energetic may wish to climb Castle Hill, just above the harbor and be rewarded with some superb views across the coast to Caldey Island with its Cistercian Monastery. Tenby is also home to a 13th-century castle, although only isolated stretches of the original walls remain perched high above the sea cliffs.

After approximately 45-minutes, you'll rejoin your coach and transfer directly back to the pier in Milford Haven.

Edited by Scriv

I used to drive tour coaches, and drove just a few Tenby trips.

The coach park in Tenby is right by North Beach.

It's a 10-15 minute walk from the town's small walled centre, but coaches usually drop passengers by the town wall (& pick up from the same point later) & then drive empty to park up at North Beach since they can't park in the town centre.

I guess DW could ask the driver if she could stay aboard to the coach park, & swim on North Beach.

No changing facilities (I don't think there are on any of the town's beaches) but she'd be able to change on the coach.

The driver might even have first aid training to help her overcome hypothermia - altho people do swim there this ain't the Caribbean :D

Tenby has narrow streets & an evil one-way system, even worse for coaches. :eek:

First time I drove Tenby I missed the turning for the hotel & had to do a second circuit.

As we went past McDonald's for the second time, I told passengers that altho Tenby was small it had two McDonald's.

Unfortunately no-one was fooled - the window-cleaner was at work there both times. :o:D

JB :)

Tenby is a small town. As John Bull says, here is a large car/coach park above the North Beach, so if that's where your coach is waiting it would only be a 5 minute walk down to the beach. If it's stopping elsewhere in the town, the most central beach would probably be Castle Beach, which is no more than 10-15mins from the town. However, even if you are by North Beach, there are a couple of things to consider. The tide goes out a fair way, so if it's not high tide it'll take her a bit longer to get to the sea. Are you planning to go to the beach with her? If not, she's going to have to leave her things on the beach and may not be able to keep an eye on them easily if the tide's out and/or the beach is crowded. Even if she's at North Beach, 45 minutes isn't really very long to get to the beach, change, get to the sea, swim, dry off and dress and get back to the bus. It seems a bit of a hassle to me.

As far as I know, the only beach with lifeguards on is South Beach. They are there during the 'season' which ends on 7th September. Dogs are not allowed on North Beach until 30th Setember and during that time they're only allowed on Castle Beach on lead if their owners need to access the pleasure boats. Hope this helps.

Tenby is a small town. As John Bull says, here is a large car/coach park above the North Beach, so if that's where your coach is waiting it would only be a 5 minute walk down to the beach. If it's stopping elsewhere in the town, the most central beach would probably be Castle Beach, which is no more than 10-15mins from the town. However, even if you are by North Beach, there are a couple of things to consider. The tide goes out a fair way, so if it's not high tide it'll take her a bit longer to get to the sea. Are you planning to go to the beach with her? If not, she's going to have to leave her things on the beach and may not be able to keep an eye on them easily if the tide's out and/or the beach is crowded. Even if she's at North Beach, 45 minutes isn't really very long to get to the beach, change, get to the sea, swim, dry off and dress and get back to the bus. It seems a bit of a hassle to me.

As far as I know, the only beach with lifeguards on is South Beach. They are there during the 'season' which ends on 7th September. Dogs are not allowed on North Beach until 30th Setember and during that time they're only allowed on Castle Beach on lead if their owners need to access the pleasure boats. Hope this helps.

Yes, weather permitting, she will either swim, or at least did her feet, while I watch her stuff.

This worked out very well on our first cruise when we were at a Mediterranean beach in France. She plopped us down behind 3 topless French women! Actually, it's amazing our stuff did not disappear! LOL

• 2 weeks later...
I used to drive tour coaches, and drove just a few Tenby trips.

The coach park in Tenby is right by North Beach.

It's a 10-15 minute walk from the town's small walled centre, but coaches usually drop passengers by the town wall (& pick up from the same point later) & then drive empty to park up at North Beach since they can't park in the town centre.

I guess DW could ask the driver if she could stay aboard to the coach park, & swim on North Beach.

No changing facilities (I don't think there are on any of the town's beaches) but she'd be able to change on the coach.

The driver might even have first aid training to help her overcome hypothermia - altho people do swim there this ain't the Caribbean :D

Tenby has narrow streets & an evil one-way system, even worse for coaches. :eek:

First time I drove Tenby I missed the turning for the hotel & had to do a second circuit.

As we went past McDonald's for the second time, I told passengers that altho Tenby was small it had two McDonald's.

Unfortunately no-one was fooled - the window-cleaner was at work there both times. :o:D

JB :)

I did ask our driver if he was parking by the North Beach, and he said no. He did point us to the South Beach which was a short walk away. We spent a lot of time there, and DW did dip her feet.