Our first 'Classic'cruise'

greyman2

On the spur we found a new cruise line now operating from Falmouth in Cornwall (UK).

Never considered this type of holiday so excuse this if not as smooth as many I read here.

The Portugese line Portuscale have a small fleet of aged cruise ships,the one operating here is the Funchal (Pic's attached). Max: capacity is around 500 although on this cruise to Norway we had a very comfortable 195 aboard,after returning we wonder just how well they would cope with full capacity.

Positive factors were the crew of course,three members of the local travel agent one of whom was the cruise coordinator. The real high point had to be a force eight while passing through the Dover straits....terrific.

Odd journey,we set sail to Dublin...which I see they have dropped from 2015,then up to scotland and around the north sea to Norway. Although pleasant it really was a waste so am pleased that this has been deleted.

Food,they did make an effort although I have nothing to compare with at this stage,little variety and even the breakfast was although plentiful did stick to the same items although daily the Brit's on board left much untouched.

Negatives,and again this is a very subjective view with little to compare with. now we realised that this is an old ship (60+years) but the cabins are tiny,we had to start with a superior out side with window,will not go into detail but have to say the idea of spending a night here let alone eleven terrified my wife.

All the Junior suites were unused so they moved us with the comment that "well you only sleep there" to a Junior suite,now had paid around £4000 so far,had we paid for the Suite this would have neared £5000........See the picture attached,is this about what you would expect for that sort of money?..I ask simply as we have no comparison.

Now on the subject of "You only sleep there" well yes if there was a great deal to occupy your time,Bingo,Quiz time,Coit's,and the bar...much of which were of little interest so return to the cabin and watch a film was often our only option.

The Norwegian Vijords were lovely although you have to say that if we had taken all the tours it would have added another£1500 to the cost,many we spoke with said that this high cost was normal on cruise ships. We did enjoy our journey for most part...would we do this again?...the answere you will have guessed by now. We are off to Peru for 14 days,picked up at the door and delivered back,guided,well we are in our 70's, the cost very similar...may be we are to young for some Cruise ships and too old for others,but it was an interesting experience.

P1030655.jpg.5eaae0d3fc4c0af3406fd04717de9986.jpg

P1030569.jpg.86181201e65909eeb9df427f44b4fdaa.jpg

P1030586.jpg.03d00c86d45877a2ec5abec6ee4ca579.jpg

P1030780.jpg.12fd6fb21cfe828707de99f6e540f340.jpg

P1030762.jpg.966c9987b65123256f7b0d7fef07739e.jpg

A brave choice for a first cruise ;).

The older ships have their charms - "proper" cruise ships with classic lines, especially compared to some of the ugly modern floating apartment blocks.

And usually very friendly & homely.

But -as you discovered - they have severe limitations.

We've sailed a few, including month-long cruises. Nowadays I'd only choose for the unusual itineraries, they do call at interesting little off-beat ports.

Funchal has an amazing history, the latest Portuguese owner was a true enthusiast. And like enthusiasts of all things historic, he had more money than sense - he probably lost a great deal of money.:rolleyes:

I believe Funchal has now passed into new hands, though I don't know whether she's been sold or leased.

The new operators are Cruise & Maritime, who operate several other aged ships. Only sailed with them once, on mv Discovery. I wasn't impressed with Cruise & Maritime, though that may be coloured by having previously enjoyed a couple of great cruises on the same ship under the flag of Voyages of Discovery.

I'm guessing your planned Peru cruise (I'm jealous :)) is with a different cruise line, as Cruise & Maritime tend to only sail close to home.

What ship will you be sailing?

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I believe Funchal has now passed into new hands, though I don't know whether she's been sold or leased.

The new operators are Cruise & Maritime, who operate several other aged ships. Only sailed with them once, on mv Discovery. I wasn't impressed with Cruise & Maritime, though that may be coloured by having previously enjoyed a couple of great cruises on the same ship under the flag of Voyages of Discovery.

Yes, you're right, John. Cruise & Maritime is operating her now and state she was refurbished and upgrade at a cost of $10 million euros in 2013. She is doing a couple of cruises to Norway and the Baltics from Avonmouth (Bristol) in October, so I'll get a look at her then. Like you, I wouldn't choose a C & M cruise myself, but we've had the Discovery up here a few times this year and I most say these small older ships do look lovely as they sail past. They look like 'proper' ships, if you know what I mean.

A brave choice for a first cruise ;).

I'm guessing your planned Peru cruise (I'm jealous :)) is with a different cruise line, as Cruise & Maritime tend to only sail close to home.

What ship will you be sailing?

Thanks JB for that. Sorry I did not make it more clear,the Peru trip is sort of trekking and not a cruise. After speaking with a couple who did cruise south America we decided that it would be good to stay ,eat and mix on land rather than be delivered fed and watered from a large cruise liner. I guess that our short experience at this end of cruising was in many ways good as if we wanted luxury and much to do in a safe environ then large/modern would be good........am still too young for that:cool:...plus at 70 what have I to gain from being cosy safe?.

Cheers

Roy