Car Rental Information

oregon3373

I see people renting cars in St. Martin... Can anyone give me the details on who you used? did you need advanced reservations? not really experienced on renting cars in foreign ports so any information would be great.

Thanks

We go to St Maarten every year in September and rent a car from Thrifty. Now we arrive at the airport, no sure on the logistics from the cruise pier. I deal with Vic over e-mail and the Internet and have never been disappointed.

You will hear good and bad stories from every car rental company.

If you are just there for the day, I would not bother. Negotiate with a taxi driver to take you where you want to go. Saves lots of time!

• 2 weeks later...
We go to St Maarten every year in September and rent a car from Thrifty. Now we arrive at the airport, no sure on the logistics from the cruise pier. I deal with Vic over e-mail and the Internet and have never been disappointed.

You will hear good and bad stories from every car rental company.

If you are just there for the day, I would not bother. Negotiate with a taxi driver to take you where you want to go. Saves lots of time!

Could you give me more specifics? How did you contact Thrifty? We will be landing at SXM, staying 2 weeks in September.

Could you give me more specifics? How did you contact Thrifty? We will be landing at SXM, staying 2 weeks in September.

Medtech,

We visit St Maarten regularly, and until now have used our friend Joyce Hanley-Prince since the year we discovered her, but she has recently dissolved her car rental business in favor of her tours and other personal services.

She has referred us to Leisure Car Rental for our future visits.

Some here on Cruise Critic prefer other local companies like Triple A when visiting on a land vacation.

gary.

Avis and Coastal are probably best bets -Hertz is also there, but significantly more expensive. It is a good idea to make specific advance reservations to insure availability of the class vehicle you want.

All the reservations are from the airport. 7 years ago there was a building as soon as you get off the ship. Anyone know if that is still an option?

All the reservations are from the airport. 7 years ago there was a building as soon as you get off the ship. Anyone know if that is still an option?

Yes at the port Hertz and Coastal and perhaps one other car rental agency is there. We have been happy with our expierriences with Hertz at the port.

Just booked the car rental from Hertz. Only had to leave my name to hold it. $99 for the day. Where I think I want to go, ( multiple stops) and have the ability for my wife who has MS to sit in the car and cool off if she has to it is well worth it I think.

This will be my third time renting so I have no worries. Anyone else thinking about it just be sure to head back in PLENTY of time as the roads back do get crowded and you also have to drop off the car.

thanks Karysa

Edited by glentally

• 2 months later...
Just booked the car rental from Hertz. Only had to leave my name to hold it. $99 for the day. Where I think I want to go, ( multiple stops) and have the ability for my wife who has MS to sit in the car and cool off if she has to it is well worth it I think.

This will be my third time renting so I have no worries. Anyone else thinking about it just be sure to head back in PLENTY of time as the roads back do get crowded and you also have to drop off the car.

thanks Karysa

Do they charge you extra for additional insurance and other add on?

Thanks

Do they charge you extra for additional insurance and other add on?

Thanks

I'm sure they will charge you. I never get any add ons at a car rental , use a CREDIT- not debit card and that has coverage for you also. At least mine does.