Help with DIY Fishing/Exploring

cg_abby

Hello, I am trying to plan my family's day in St Martin for when we arrive there in July on the Carnival Sunshine! My little brother (14) is really interested in fishing. I had looked into renting a small boat in Simpson Bay Lagoon from Boathouse Boat Rentals because they said you could fish, but now they are saying due to the hurricane fishing is prohibited in the lagoon/the Dutch side. Apparently, it is allowed on the French side.

Can anyone give me suggestions on getting to the French side and finding a spot to go fishing? We aren't interested in deep-sea fishing - we want more of a "family can hang at the beach while son fishes off a dock" type deal. If we could find an excursion that would take him and my dad out fishing, that would be great, but the ones I have seen so far are very expensive.

I am looking into either renting a car or just using taxis to get around the island. Marigot looks interesting, maybe there would be some spots to fish around there?

I would appreciate any help and suggestions! We are very open to doing different things!

We have rented a Jeep on past trips there and had a great time exploring the Island on our own. There is a road that basically takes you around the entire island so you can check out the French and Dutch side and stop wherever you feel like exploring a bit. We have found cool local spots to hang out or go to the beach on our excursions. I can't help with the fishing request...sorry.

P.S. You can rent a Jeep at the car rental place right by the terminal. Have Fun!

I think some locals fish on shore around the eastern end of the Salt Pond in Phillipsburg. I've seen fishermen on the jetty near Fishermen's Grill just at the start of the beach/boardwalk in Phillipsburg. They used to let you use fishing rods and give you bait at the Sunset Grill in Maho. Supposedly they'd clean and cook your catch too. But I doubt there's many fish there given the people traffic and the planes. Maybe gtaylor can shed some light.

I don't think that cg_abby has to figure out how to get to the French side or book an excursion to fish.

I think some locals fish on shore around the eastern end of the Salt Pond in Phillipsburg. I've seen fishermen on the jetty near Fishermen's Grill just at the start of the beach/boardwalk in Phillipsburg. They used to let you use fishing rods and give you bait at the Sunset Grill in Maho. Supposedly they'd clean and cook your catch too. But I doubt there's many fish there given the people traffic and the planes. Maybe gtaylor can shed some light.

I don't remember Sunset ever offering rod and reel to allow patrons to fish, and we've been going there since the Neil Rooney days, but other than that, I agree.

We see locals fishing in the Great Salt Pond regularly, usually in the south-east corner that you refer to. I believe that they are fishing for Tilapia, but I know that there are Tarpon there, as well, but I have a problem with that. The pond often suffers from low oxygenation, and the fish don't fare well.

I think the spot you're referring to near Fisherman's Grill (never been there) is at the eastern end of Great Bay Beach. I've noticed locals and tourists fishing there on several occasions. I hope that they are doing catch and release, as I have serious concerns about pollution in Great Bay, especially right there, as it is where the Rolandus Canal dumps into the bay.

th_P4230016.jpg

(click)

I'd feel a lot more comfortable with fishing at the Dutch Side Bridge, where I've noticed locals many times, or on the rocks at Mullet Bay Beach (to the left facing the water), where I've seen them fishing with both rod and reel and just lines. I do know that from time to time there have been problems with Ciguatera, so be aware.

That said, I'll assume that cg_abby's party isn't looking to keep the catch to take onboard, should be able to choose any site.

I'd go with Mullet Bay Beach, with fishing from the rocks and enjoying Mullet.

gary