Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Military Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 14th, 2010, 05:32 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Form DD215

Hello all: good to see this site is available.

Question: We are sailing on Celebrity on one of the Military Rates. It says on the web site that we will need form DD215, which we have. Do we need to take the form with the imprint or will a copy do?
Another place, in our docs, it says to bring a blue ID card. We do not have such a card. I hope all we need is this form DD215?

If anyone here has used the Military Rate on Celebrity, please advise as to what type of procedure they use when checking in.

Right now, Celebrity has some fantastic rates on our 9-12-10 Canada and New England.

58 cruises on 13 lines....RCL (4), Sun (1), Costa (1), NCL(4), Epirotiki (1), Princess (10), Regency(1),HAL(4), Cunard(1), Celebrity(23), KD(1), Grand Circle(3) MSC (2)

532 days at sea......

Grace

Old August 14th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

DD215? I know DD214 is what we were told. I have not heard of the 215. I called NCL just the other day because I wondered about the card. All we have is the DD214 document 8 1/2 x 11 form. I used to have a certificate, but can not find it and they told me what I had was fine and to just have it when we checked in at the pier. Hope this helps.

Old August 14th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Dd 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracecarmo View Post

Question: We are sailing on Celebrity on one of the Military Rates. It says on the web site that we will need form DD215, which we have. Do we need to take the form with the imprint or will a copy do?
Another place, in our docs, it says to bring a blue ID card. We do not have such a card. I hope all we need is this form DD215?

If anyone here has used the Military Rate on Celebrity, please advise as to what type of procedure they use when checking in.

Right now, Celebrity has some fantastic rates on our 9-12-10 Canada and New England.
Scan and send a copy of your DD214 to Celebrity..they will then have it on file..I also carry a copy with me..the original stays at home. The blue ID card is for active duty - gray card for retired/

[COLOR=#002060]A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the "United States of America" for an amount of “up to and including my life". [/color]

Old August 14th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Hi, we sailed Celebrity Summit in June with a Military Rate and went from an OV to Conciegre Balcony, which was terrific. Anyway, brought the DD214 (copy since the US government holds the original) and they didn't even ask to see it when we checked in. Enjoy your cruise!

Zenith to Bermuda 5/05
Norwegian Spirit to FL & Nassau 3/06
Zenith - 4/13/07
Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda 7/1/07
Vision of the Seas to the Mexican Riviera 11/4/07
Explorer of the Seas to Caribbean 5/9/08
Vision of the Seas to the Mexican Riviera 11/2/08
Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda & Caribbean 5/28/09
We are now Platinum
Radiance of the Seas to Ensenada & Cabo 11/7/09 Met some great, new friends!
Summit to Newport & Bermuda 6/20/10
Serenade of the Seas to Caribbean 11/6/10 Surprise visit from Brad & Nancy!
Silhouette to S. Caribbean 11/6/11
Voyager of the Seas 3/24/12 out of NOLA
We are now Emerald
Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda 9/23/12
Explorer of the Seas to The Bahamas 2/10/13
We are now Diamond & Elite! La Dee Da!!
Summit Repo to San Juan 10/19/13
Century Pacific Coastal 4/26/14

Quantum of the Seas to The Bahamas
and then...........

Old August 14th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Militaey Documents

I have cruised Celebrity, Disney, RCL, Carnival, Costa and NCl all on military rates. Carnival is the only one who asked for documentation, and I sent a copy of my Retired (Blue) ID card via e-mail. No line has ever asked for documentation at the pier, but I always have my ID with me.

They want to fill the boats, and I am not sure how much they check, but I would carry ID or DD 214 just in case.

Ken S

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 14th, 2010, 10:25 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Dd214

I guess I made a typo, it is 214. Thanks to all that responded.

58 cruises on 13 lines....RCL (4), Sun (1), Costa (1), NCL(4), Epirotiki (1), Princess (10), Regency(1),HAL(4), Cunard(1), Celebrity(23), KD(1), Grand Circle(3) MSC (2)

532 days at sea......

Grace

Old August 15th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Does anyone know if you can combine a military discount with the Captain's Club upgrade (oceanview cabin)? For example, could you get the category 8 military rate on a category 7 cabin, instead of paying the category 7 military rate?
Memories: Freedom OTS 9/14; Celebrity Constellation 4/14; Liberty OTS 2/14, Independence OTS Eastern Cariibbean 12/13, Enchantment OTS 11/13, Freedom OTS Western Caribbean 9/13, Enchantment OTS Bahamas 4/13, Monarch OTS Bahamas 8/12, Monarch OTS Bahamas 4/12, Millennium W. Caribbean 10/11, Sensation Bahamas, 9/11, Radiance OTS W Caribbean 2/11, Constellation S Caribbean 11/10, Solstice E Caribbean 10/10, Century Caribbean 4/10; Solstice Caribbean 1/10, Century B2B 12/09; Century Caribbean B2B 4/09, Constellation S Caribbean 12/08; Century W Caribbean 1/08;
Constellation TransAtlantic 9/07; Radiance OTS Pacific Coastal 9/06; Radiance OTS W. Caribbean 3/06; Summit Alaska 9/02; Zenith Caribbean New Years Eve 01

Old August 15th, 2010, 08:39 PM
5,000+ Club

That could be tricky....in reading the fine print re the rules of the discount some say no, others say yes. Probably best to ask the Captain's Club, and call more than once!
I applied for the RCCL shareholder benefit to be applied to my cruise using the Military rate and at first they said no. Then I got an email and they said it was applied. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

532 days at sea......

Grace

Old September 10th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just emailed them a copy of my husband's active duty card, and my father-in-law just faxed them in a copy of his DD214. Both of them always carry their IDs, as well as his mother and me, so we have more than enough proof that we are a military family.

Past Cruises
Carnival Spirit - May 2006 to Alaska (Ketchican, Juneau, the College Fijords, Skagway and Sitka) - First ever cruise

Carnival Glory - January 2011 to the Eastern Caribean (Nassau, Bahamas; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk and St. Thomas) - Farewell cruise to my husband, who was deployed shortly after to Afghanistan

Carnival Imagination - April 2013 to Nassau, Bahamas - Girls weekend cruise

Carnival Splendor - January 2013 to Hawaii (Hilo, Kona, Maui and Honolulu, Hawaii and Ensenada, Mexico) - Kruzin' Kahunas, Better leied than never! - Welcome home cruise for my husband returning from his deployment to Afghanistan / Our Fifth wedding anniversay cruise

Furture Cruises

??? Looking at a few to the Southern Caribbean and Alaska, but nothing is set in stone yet

Old September 17th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default DD 215 is a corrected DD 214

Quote:
I guess I made a typo, it is 214. Thanks to all that responded.
DD 215 is issued to update/correct a DD 214 that is missing or has incorrect record of duty, medals, dates of service, etc.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM
5,000+ Club

We just returned from the Summit, and they just glanced at the DD214 form.

Another question: on this forum is anyone keeping track of any military rates on the various cruises when they become available?
A good friend (20 year vet) is interested in a cruise and I told him about this forum on CC.

We had to cancel our next voyage on the Constellation, but will rebook on another cruise later, in April.

Edit: I just read posts in this forum, and see that there is indeed a web site that lists all military rates currently available. Just google (be creative, as it is not legal to mention TA sites here) "go vacationing military" and you will see many sites.
There are a lot of last minute cruises listed....that seems to be the norm for discounts to the military.

532 days at sea......

Grace

Last edited by gracecarmo; October 2nd, 2010 at 11:41 AM.

Old December 10th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarae View Post
Scan and send a copy of your DD214 to Celebrity..they will then have it on file..I also carry a copy with me..the original stays at home. The blue ID card is for active duty - gray card for retired/
Blue = Retired (I'm looking at mine right now)
Green = Active Duty
Red = Reserve

Last edited by Orlando Vic; December 10th, 2010 at 10:55 AM.

Old December 16th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink Boats vs Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunapets View Post
I have cruised Celebrity, Disney, RCL, Carnival, Costa and NCl all on military rates. Carnival is the only one who asked for documentation, and I sent a copy of my Retired (Blue) ID card via e-mail. No line has ever asked for documentation at the pier, but I always have my ID with me.

They want to fill the boats, and I am not sure how much they check, but I would carry ID or DD 214 just in case.

Ken S
We sure hope they never have to fill "the boats". we would rather be safe aboard ship.
Retired Coast Guard
Maasdam,1960, HAL, to Holland
Noordam,1999, HAL, to Alaska
Golden Princess,2007, PCL, To Mexico
Rijndam, 2008, HAL, to Mexico
Golden Princess, 2009, PCL to Hawaii
Coral Princess, 2009, PCL to Panama
Island Princess, 2009, PCL to Alaska
Island Princess, 2009, PCL to Canada
Island Princess, 2009, PCL to San Francisco
Sapphire Princess, 2009, PCL, to Mexico
Island Princess,2010, PCL, to Alaska