Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Friends of Cruise Critic > Captain Tony's Cabin

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old May 21st, 2011, 08:15 PM
5,000+ Club

Default My Day..................

Well.......back out to the track again today for Car Club Day...........boring.........not as much fun as last weekend with C 'n B.

The track did not plan this properly and it showed. We locals are use to it but I guided 10 corvettes into the track who are from KC, MO, they were staying not far from the Swaller, and they were disappointed when what we thought was planned had fallen apart. The track did try and rescue the day a little and did.

Tomorrow a work acquaintance from Customs is coming over for dinner - I am going to try my new smoker and smoke some ribs - yummy. This is right on your diet Tom - all protein. No scouse this time! Sorry.

Busy week coming up, USO lounge, quadrennial physical, next Saturday "Night Before the 500" with my niece - we are taking the Camaro............

How was your day?

Eleanor..............

"Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

Babe Ruth

GET INVOLVED - The world is run by those that show up!!!!!!

Stupid is as stupid does....... F.Gump

Growing Old is Mandatory; Growing Up is Optional

No matter where I live - I'll always be from Brooklyn! Gotta a problem wit dat?

154 Days at sea......................

Pink Fedora Cruiser

Last edited by newsier; May 21st, 2011 at 08:17 PM.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:31 AM
5,000+ Club

Sounds like you have a busy week coming up. Good Luck with your physical, those are always fun. Have fun @ the track next weekend I hope the ribs turn out great today...that sounds yummy, might have to smoke something here too. We cheat, we have an electric smoker...just pop in the water and wood chips, toss in the meat and let 'er rip!!

I've been working through "bad back" & sciatica issues this past week,.... and struggling to get through my six day work week (the price we pay for having a three day weekend every 6 weeks)...yesterday it was 9 hrs w/no lunch. The USPS needs to work on their short staffing issues....3 carriers for 5 routes is not good math!! The other 2 carriers each worked 12 hrs (hey, they have less seniority than me, and "you know what" rolls downhill)

We've noticed that two of our Ash trees out front are still bald. We were worried that they died! Come to find out, when we returned to winter-like weather the trees got confused and thought it was winter again...so now that all the other trees are green and lush, these really look out of place!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 248286_10150198358243958_817303957_6893151_4284099_n.jpg (11.3 KB, 10 views)

Celebrating my Birthday/Halloween/Reunion cruise:

Celebrating my retirement from the USPS:

Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We spent the day in Amarillo with the corvette club promoting our show next weekend. .....made the rounds to all the O'Reilly stores for quick promos at each since they are one of our big sponsors...had a great time!

[b]“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”...................Mark Twain

Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sadly, Cap, no ribs allowed on this diet. Too fatty. I'm on a pure protein only day today so all I've eaten is non fat yoghurt, liver and diet coke!! You might laugh, but the mirror is telling me to keep on with it! I'm doing good on the scales, but it's the mirror that's showing me what's really going on. Soon I'll be a fat-free zone!

The big test starts later this week. We fly to Venice on Friday. Does anyone know the Italian for "Just some steamed fish with no sauce please." Then we are on the Voyager OTS on Saturday, but strangely I see the cruise as less of a problem because I can pretty much get protein only any time. And I'm gonna hit that gym and come back ripped!!!

Get in!!!
April 2007 Thomson Calypso Ancient Empires
October 2007 Mariner OTS Eastern Caribbean
April 2008 Ventura Maiden Welcome Party Cruise
July 2008 Carnival Glory Western Caribbean
November 2008 Explorer OTS Southern Caribbean
April 2009 Brilliance OTS Morocco & Canaries
November 2009 Serenade OTS Panama Canal (25th wedding anniversary cruise)
May 2010 Splendour OTS Greek Isles
October 2010 Monarch OTS Bahamas
October 2010 Oasis OTS Western Caribbean
March 2011 Thomson Dream Caribbean
May 2011 Voyager OTS Venice & The Adriatic
November 2011 Celebrity Solstice Greek Islands
November 2012 Celebrity Equinox Greek Islands
March 2013 Freedom OTS Eastern Caribbean
October 2014 Pride of America Hawaiian Islands

GRANDAD'S BAND

Last edited by Towncar T; May 22nd, 2011 at 01:46 PM.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:50 AM
5,000+ Club

Default My day..............

Ribs came out great - first time for my smoker...............

We were going to try one of those protien only diets but Angie has suffered from kidney stones and I guess high protein diets can cause kidney stones to appear - so that diet was out - it was a famous diet here - I forget the name.

I agree about the mirror "never lies" and if you like what you see - good for you, the "change in life-style" is well worth it.

As I think I have mentiioned, we have lost a lot of weight using Weight Watchers. So much so, back in 2008 I lost close to 40 pounds. This young Captain came up to me at work and asked if I was OK? I answered, "sure, why do you ask?" He said he thouhgt I may have been sick as I have lost a lot of weight! I told him it was by design. I took it as a compliment but you know you are getting old when a young person thinks you're sick because you have lost weight..............Yikes!

This morning I have to finish a presentation I am going to give to a local Chevy dealer in the hopes they will sponsor my corvette club - I do that on Wednesday.....................(the presentation)

We may go to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie that just came out, they have matinees, which I am surprised at since schools are still in session for another week here.

Weather is great, breezy, in the 70s - it don't get any better than this.

I now wonder if we'll go to Joplin, MO for the corvette show in August after the terrible tornados there. My heart goes out to these people.

What does your day have planned for you??

Eleanor

"Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

Babe Ruth

Pink Fedora Cruiser

Last edited by newsier; May 23rd, 2011 at 10:54 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

'The mirror never lies' is right. One of the main reasons for me sticking rigidly to this diet is that the mirror was telling me that my once athletic (even into my 40's) body had been invaded by some fat bas**rd with a double chin and a big gut. So I decided to kick old fat arse out of my body and let the fit guy back in!

I'm never going to be Arnie Scwartzenwhatever, but at least I don't have to be Fatty Arbuckle! Now I'm determined to get a six pack, which of course my daughter thinks is gross, and be the fittest 50 something in town. Also, I've got to say, I just feel better and stronger.

Probably going to have to get some sun on my pale white body now.

GRANDAD'S BAND

Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Here's one for ya, Glenn. How many miles to the gallon does your Corvette get? I'm starting to think about my next car and have decided that I'll have to get something smaller and more economical. I like my Yankee cars, but don't know that much about them. Give me some tips. What do you guys have in the way of cars that would stand out here but wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg to run?

GRANDAD'S BAND

Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
5,000+ Club

Glenn, that would be the Atkins diet. I lost about 15 lbs on that diet years back. Gonna try it again. If my back cooperates, I need to get back to working out. I get a lot of cardio already, but I need to be doing weight resistant exercises. I'm only 5 lbs heavier than I was in October, but my clothes don't fit. I'm sure that is from letting my muscles get weak and lazy

I tried holding 3 lb weights in my hands while walking on the treadmill, and wouldn't you know it, it flared up my tendonitis in my elbows, and flared up my rotator cuff problem in my right shoulder (old work injuries)...and the extra walking outside of work, flared up my foot problems

Gonna have to stick with the exercise bike for cardio and get out my pilates reformer machine for some gentle weight resistant exercises and stretching, love that machine It stinks getting old!

If our freakin pool ever warms up, I can get out there and swim laps as that is good cardio and easy on the joints! Bill went out to start up the pool heater yesterday and guess what....it's not working. EVERYTHING around here is breaking. Had to get a new stove because the old one died. Had to get a new carpet shampooer..old one croaked. Trying to get the power washer fixed under warranty 'cause it croaked. Sump pump died a couple months back....had about $1,000 of work on the Expedition for some repairs that needed done, cha-ching, cha-ching!!!

On my day off today, so far, I have got my third load of wash in, I swept out the garage (because I was tired of all the dirt out there getting drug into the house), I'm working on vacuuming now and I get the granddaughters at 1:30 and they'll be here til 10:15. My son called and wanted to know if I could take them so he could go in to work at 10am....um, I said NO. I don't think I could handle them AND do house work....plus that would mean I would have had them for over 12 hours!! I think I would have had an easier day if I had gone in to work!

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakaiz View Post
Glenn, that would be the Atkins diet. I lost about 15 lbs on that diet years back. Gonna try it again.
Before you do Atkins, take a look at 'The Dukan Diet'. It has some similarities to Atkins, but is MUCH healthier. Lots of protein and no carbs, but NO fat to clog up the arteries.

GRANDAD'S BAND

Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

g.....not sure about Joplin corvette thing now....how very sad for those folks. My heart goes out to them......

I can't tell you how many folks asked me if I was sick when I lost my 85 lbs. They even were asking my employees what was up with me. Even had people tell me how sick I looked after they found out that it was on purpose.....funny.

[b]“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”...................Mark Twain

Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
5,000+ Club

My day was fine for a Monday. Lovely day in the Southwest, and slow traffic at the office.

I'm another who once lost a lot of weight, although nobody asked me if I was sick, lol. Athough, a few months after my dd was born someone asked me when I was due. Eventually I lost 70 pounds and got down to 25 pounds less than I am now, but that didn't last once I met Chef Jeff!

I just started leaving out weights and amping up the cardio. I haven't changed up my workout routine in a long time, think I have a pretty good amount of muscle built up, and want to try a 3-6 week stint of super fat-burning. I've been running treadmill for an hour as part of it...hope my knees hold up for 3-6 weeks, lol. I keep toying with the idea of getting my hacker to DL "Insanity" or "P90X", but don't know if I could handle six days a week working out. Especially considering how our weekend nights sometimes go, lol!

I hear ya about the household money spending, C. Our last casualty was also the pool heater...you may recall we tried to use it late last fall for one last weekend float and it was "poof". So Jeff decided we needed a gas one instead, and between the price of the heater, the cost of the gas line and permits, paying a plumber, etc., we could've taken a freakin' cruise! And we've turned on that heater once for 2 hours. *sigh* Before that it was the water heater, the AC, etc. The rest of the biggies were all replaced when we bought the house, so I guess that means they'll all go bad at the same time! Darth should be good for a while, esp. with only 5000 miles, lol.

http://community.webshots.com/user/t...host=community

Past: Holiday 7/95, Enchanted Isle 7/96, Jubilee 7/97, Destiny 7/99, Triumph 7/21/01, Explorer 6/22/02, Conquest 6/22/03, Navigator 1/24/04, Carnival Spirit 2/27/04, Ecstasy 6/28/04, Mariner 10/17/04, Adventure 2/13/05, Mariner 9/4/05, Serenade 10/17/05 http://reg.imageshack.us/setlogin.php?login=b802b9ebda4f839aa97754ad62d52e7 1
Carnival Legend 2/13/06, Mariner 9/3/06, Freedom of the Seas 10/15/06, Monarch 1/26/07, Jewel 2/10/07, Liberty of the Seas 10/20/07, Voyager of the Seas 1/13/08, Explorer of the Seas 4/25/08, Mariner B2B 10/19/08 and 10/26/08, Voyager 1/24/09, Mariner 5/10/09 corner aft, Mariner 8/30/09 corner aft, Jewel 10/27/09 Boston to Miami repo (aft), Independence 1/23/10 corner aft, Mariner 4/18/10 corner aft. Mariner 8/29/10, first Junior Suite AND first hump, Oasis b2b 10/16/10 and 10/23/10 first cruises as D+, Voyager 1/23/11 (double upgrade!), Jewel 4/10/11. Freedom 10/16/11, Navigator 12/10/11, Mariner 1/29/12, Voyager 3/24/12, Jewel repo 10/28/12, Indedendence 12/9/12, Navigator 2/23/13, Mariner 4/7/13, Allure 10/20/13, Freedom 12/15/13 Serenade 2/22/14, Adventure 4/13/14. UPCOMING: Navigator 10/19/14, Allure 12/14/14, Vision 2/7/15, Quantum 4/12/15, Freedom 10/18/15, Navigator 12/12/15, Serenade 2/14/16, Liberty 4/10/16.
+

Old May 24th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriDHair View Post
I keep toying with the idea of getting my hacker to DL "Insanity" or "P90X", but don't know if I could handle six days a week working out. Especially considering how our weekend nights sometimes go, lol!
T...go for it! I thought about P90X for a while...... soooooo, I did Power 90 (with Tony Horton) last year thinking it would prepare for X. Well, hurt shoulder and messed up achilles tendon later made me think better for a broke down 57 year old I laid off for awhile but am now starting back with the Power 90 again.....

Old May 24th, 2011, 08:34 AM
5,000+ Club

Good morning -

Man - you guys are making me hurt with all these excersise programs - -

Yup - there is no better feeling than looking good and being in shape!!!

Back in our day, when Angie and I were in uniform, we HAD to be in shape - we got paid to be in shape. It was great!!!!

Now - "No excuse Sir!"..............I am just lazy and poor Angie just hurts all over all the time - remnants of our active duty days.

A YMCA is about to open close to the house, I have signed up both Angie and myself. I am looking forward to the opening for the pools and the excersise equipment. I have no plans of big muscles, big weight loss, but I know I need to excersise at my stage of life and watch what I eat. And a great by-product of excersise is you can generally eat what you want!

Time will tell..............LOL

Went to see Pirates of the Caribbean, Tides of Change, (I think that's the name). good movie if you like the series- I enjoy watching Johnny Depp in these movies. This is the forth in the series and the way it was left, I felt it could "Be Continued"!!!!

If you go see this movie, forget everything you ever thought you knew about mermaids! Hahahahahaha

Bad storms last night, thank goodness we were spared the brunt of the storm. Altho we had 60mph winds, the heavy winds and hail went south of us.

Not much planned for today, finish my presentation for tomorrow, Angie has her volunteer time at the hospital, we do have a ribbon cutting at the zoo this evening at the new tiger exhibit - but there are suppose to be more storms heading' this way.

Hope your day is great!

Eleanor

Babe Ruth

Pink Fedora Cruiser

Old May 24th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Freakin ash cloud!! Might not get away on Friday. I hate this crap!!

GRANDAD'S BAND

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:05 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towncar T View Post
Freakin ash cloud!! Might not get away on Friday. I hate this crap!!
Leave tomorrow and drive - YOU have that option!!

I wonder if the Texas girls will get home or did they get off last week?

g

Babe Ruth

Pink Fedora Cruiser

Old May 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsier View Post
Leave tomorrow and drive - YOU have that option!!

I wonder if the Texas girls will get home or did they get off last week?

g
They got off last week.

Driving would be such a hassle and we can't go yet. Some of us have work to do!!

They don't know how bad it will get, but not expected to be as bad as last year's debacle.

We'll wait and see.

Once I'm there I don't give a sh** about getting back!

GRANDAD'S BAND

Old May 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Red Flag Warning, high wind warning, blowing dust warning .....all scrolling across the TV screen..... as bad as this drought is (and it is bad), it's not near as bad as what the folks east of us are enduring with the storms and floods. Wow...what a spring

Busy week here, car show this weekend that we are both working. The next week we fly to Austin to see our son and DIL, attend a nieces graduation and the fly out on the 6th for a couple of days in Niagara Falls. I have LOTS of things to take care of this week before all that happens.

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:32 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Here's one for ya, Glenn. How many miles to the gallon does your Corvette get? I'm starting to think about my next car and have decided that I'll have to get something smaller and more economical. I like my Yankee cars, but don't know that much about them. Give me some tips. What do you guys have in the way of cars that would stand out here but wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg to run?
My corvette - 23 to 25 mpg - some people get 30 mpg on the high way.

I drive mine like a corvette, I like to take turns at 70 my other cars I have to slow down to 40 for - - get the picture.

Here are some vettes for sale in my area - just tell 'em Glenn sent ya........

http://www.harechevy.com/searchnew.a...model=Corvette

WOW - yes they are a lot on money!!!! They are all the top of the lne models.

I'd say a "normal" corvette would cost you low 50s for a coupe (pronounced coop as in "Chicken Coop") or as they say in Jolly 'ol "koo-pae".

It might be cheaper to come over here and buy it seeing you like the left hand drive.

I could get you a used one over here like mine a 2004 for about 28K - guaranteed left hand drive.....................

Heck - the vette is the best mpg car I own!! The camaro is on par with a 737 going for rotation..........

Let me know when you'll be over - I'll keep the light on for ya..........

g

Babe Ruth

Pink Fedora Cruiser

Old May 25th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for that Cap'n, and for the toot on the telling-bone this morning.

It's all gone Pete Tong here because the ash cloud is threatening to shut us down on Friday when we are supposed to fly to Venice. So............I changed our flight to tomorrow, changed transport, booked a hotel room at a hotel that had no rooms (Mr Golden Balls still has the charm!!) And now we're good to go with an extra day in Venezia!! A few quid short in the pocket but hopefully on course to make the ship!

See y'all when we get back!!

Ciao!!

GRANDAD'S BAND

Old May 25th, 2011, 08:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Thanks for that Cap'n, and for the toot on the telling-bone this morning.

It's all gone Pete Tong here because the ash cloud is threatening to shut us down on Friday when we are supposed to fly to Venice. So............I changed our flight to tomorrow, changed transport, booked a hotel room at a hotel that had no rooms (Mr Golden Balls still has the charm!!) And now we're good to go with an extra day in Venezia!! A few quid short in the pocket but hopefully on course to make the ship!

See y'all when we get back!!

Ciao!!
Glad you were able to avoid the ash cloud. Have a great trip!!