Hose color question

simplelife

This question is NOT about whether to wear hose or not, so please do not weigh in on that.

I want to know opinions of what color hose to wear with a particular outfit.

I have a family wedding this weekend. I am wearing this dress:

http://www.dillards.com/product/Leslie-Fay-Peplum-Lace-Dress_301_-1_301_504758730?df=04302821_zi_navy&categoryId=666715&scrollTop=79

with a navy, closed-toe low heeled pump.

My instinct is to go with sheer stockings. A friend suggested I go with navy for a monochromatic look. Is that just too much navy?

I will probably be the only one to disagree with wearing nude hose. I think you need to wear a sheer NAVY hose with this dress IF you are wearing navy shoes, especially pumps.

I believe the model is wearing sheer hose because she is wearing lighter colored shoes. IF you were to choose to wear lighter colored shoes, say a silver shoe or a nude shoe, then, yes, wear the sheer hose. BUT, if you are wearing a DARK shoe, then the dark shoe will call attention to itself if you wear only sheer hose, especially a more foot covering pump shoe. It's almost like competing focal points. What you really want is for your face and upper body to be the focal point...so you really want what is happening on your lower body to do nothing but offer support to the star above. A dark shoe with flesh colored legs isn't a support role...it's the character actor that steals the show. A dark shoe at the end of nude looking legs is a hiccough to the eye...distracting from the main event upstairs, so to speak.

The dark shoe will make much more sense with darker hose. THEN, the loveliness of the skin seen through the lace near the face becomes the focal point of the dress. The bottom half of your outfit will kind of all blend together...which makes total sense given the use of lace on the dress.

To clarify, I'm not talking about having the look of tights, just some color to the hose.

NOW...all that said...I would vote for nude hose and nude/silver pumps...if that were an option.

I am torn....wearing dark hose was something we did years ago. (I still have a lot of navy hanes ) Then, I saw a celebrity wearing black sheer hose with a black dress, so I started doing that again. I think I would NOT wear navy shoes, but go with silver, like the model...and wear sheer nude. If you are going with the navy shoes, try it both ways---I think you'll be able to tell by looking in a mirror.

I believe the model is wearing sheer hose because she is wearing lighter colored shoes.

Well, the model isn't wearing any hose, but as the OP doesn't want to have that debate, we'll let it go... :D

The problem for me with wearing navy hose is the difficulty in matching the tones of navy. As for most colours, you can have several shades of navy; you don't have to worry too much about an exact match with dress/shoes as they are far enough together, but introduce navy hose in between, and all of a sudden you could have 3 shades of navy clashing with each other...

I vote shear, but not necessarily nude - a nice sheer silvery tone would be nice.

I also vote for sheer...it will look gorgeous with the lace sleeves...Beautiful dress. I am so envious! Have a wonderful time! I hope this dress is also going on your next cruise! :)

Hope to cruise in June - deciding what to book now. Definirlt bringing this dress. It travels very well.