Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > St. Thomas/St. John

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 5th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Most economical way to St. John

Hopefully this will answer questions for many others. I'm hoping Islander will help as he/she has the best info. I've found scattered around in other threads, various ways of getting to St. John's. We'd sure like to spend some time at Cinnamon Bay but want to do this on the cheap. We can't bring ourselves to spending $10/pp on a taxi when $2/pp open safari bus will do just as well.

From other posts, I have compiled the following information.

Ferry leaving Red Hook to Cruz bay:
Ship docks in Havensight.
Go outside pier area, turn right, go up about 2 blocks to K-Mart about 6 minute walk.
Catch the local bus ($2/pp), about 17 - 20 minute ride to Red Hook.
Walk to ferry boarding area. Take ferry to St. John ($5/pp - Adult OW) about 15 - 20 minutes.

Total travel time: approx. 45 minutes
Total cost pp: $7 adult

Ferry leaving Charlotte Amile to Cruz bay:
Go outside pier area, turn left & walk about 30 minutes to CA ferry.
Take ferry to St. John ($10/pp - Adult OW) about 45 minutes,

Total travel time: approx. 1 hour 15 minutes
Total cost pp: $10 adult

Once on St. John, what is best way to get to Cinnamon Bay? Take the bus? The taxi's are just as expensive as on St. Thomas.
4/17/15 - Carnival Liberty

Old June 5th, 2006, 07:06 PM
5,000+ Club

Don't you turn left when you get out of the pier area, and go past the tram? That is the way we returned on the bus. Or, is there another stop to the right?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Celebrity Silhouette (Eastern) 3/29/14, Carnival Valor (Southern girls' cruise) 7/21/13, Celebrity Summit (Southern) 3/30/13, Vision of the Seas (Southern 11 day) 12/24/12, Ruby Princess (Eastern) 4/3/11, Serenade of the Seas 4/3/10 (Southern), Carnival Valor (Western) 2/14/10, Adventure OTS 6/28/09 (Southern to the West), Mariner 3/30/08 (Eastern), Serenade 4/7/07 & 4/8/06 (Southern to the east), RCI Splendour (Western) 3/25/05, Celebrity Century (Eastern) 3/20/04, Celebrity Horizon (Eastern) 4/03, Golden Princess (Eastern) 3/30/02, RCI Grandeur (Southern to the west) 4/14/01, Carnival Holiday (Western) 3/28/92

Old June 5th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Michelle: I don't know. I'm trying to to put together what I found on other threads. That's why I am hoping Islander will post and help clear up some lose ends.
4/17/15 - Carnival Liberty

Old June 5th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default We are looking for the same info!!!

Last year we took the "excursion" which set us back nearly $200 for 4 to Trunk Bay; would love to do in "on the cheap" this year. We've got plenty of time in port, but not extra cash (saving that for St. Maarten ). Love to get the answer of the best way to get to either Cinnamon or Trunk Bay in St. John once you get over on the ferry. THANKS.

Old June 5th, 2006, 10:58 PM
5,000+ Club

Unless you rent a car, the taxis are the only way to get to those beaches. $6 pp. to Trunk and $7 pp. to Cinnamon.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Celebrity Silhouette (Eastern) 3/29/14, Carnival Valor (Southern girls' cruise) 7/21/13, Celebrity Summit (Southern) 3/30/13, Vision of the Seas (Southern 11 day) 12/24/12, Ruby Princess (Eastern) 4/3/11, Serenade of the Seas 4/3/10 (Southern), Carnival Valor (Western) 2/14/10, Adventure OTS 6/28/09 (Southern to the West), Mariner 3/30/08 (Eastern), Serenade 4/7/07 & 4/8/06 (Southern to the east), RCI Splendour (Western) 3/25/05, Celebrity Century (Eastern) 3/20/04, Celebrity Horizon (Eastern) 4/03, Golden Princess (Eastern) 3/30/02, RCI Grandeur (Southern to the west) 4/14/01, Carnival Holiday (Western) 3/28/92

Old June 6th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys2Heaven
Hopefully this will answer questions for many others. I'm hoping Islander will help as he/she has the best info. I've found scattered around in other threads, various ways of getting to St. John's. We'd sure like to spend some time at Cinnamon Bay but want to do this on the cheap. We can't bring ourselves to spending $10/pp on a taxi when $2/pp open safari bus will do just as well.

From other posts, I have compiled the following information.

Ferry leaving Red Hook to Cruz bay:
Go outside pier area, turn right, go up about 2 blocks to K-Mart about 6 minute walk.
Catch the local bus ($2/pp), about 17 - 20 minute ride to Red Hook.
Walk to ferry boarding area. Take ferry to St. John ($5/pp - Adult OW) about 15 - 20 minutes.

Total travel time: approx. 45 minutes
Total cost pp: $7 adult

Ferry leaving Charlotte Amile to Cruz bay:
Go outside pier area, turn left & walk about 30 minutes to CA ferry.
Take ferry to St. John ($10/pp - Adult OW) about 45 minutes,

Total travel time: approx. 1 hour 15 minutes
Total cost pp: $10 adult

Once on St. John, what is best way to get to Cinnamon Bay? Take the bus? The taxi's are just as expensive as on St. Thomas.
This is good research, and is what we found when we were there. $10 taxi a bit steep for us. On St. Johns we could not find a better solution except the taxis. Kudos for gathering this info. Brian
Caribbean Princess 11-2005
Carnival Paradise 11-2005
Carnival Miracle 11-2004
Disney Wonder
Grand Princess
Carnival Jubilee
Crown Princess
Vision of the Seas
NCL Something
Azure Seas
Emerald Seas

Old June 6th, 2006, 02:34 AM
10,000+ Club

I noticed that everyone has payed a different amount for the ferry, we payed $6 per adult round trip and $4 per child.
I wish the open air safari bus was $2, we payed $6pp.
we turned right and caught the bus.

Inspiration X2
Imagination
Paradise
Conquest
Destiny
Valor X2
Elation X3
Liberty
Splendor
Spirit
Victory
Legend
Triumph
Glory
Magic

Old June 6th, 2006, 10:17 AM
5,000+ Club

I think the confusion on turning right or left when exiting where the ship docks might be based on where you exit the Havensight Shopping Center when getting off the cruise ship. The main entrances/exits are across the shopping area, basically parallel to how the ships dock, you walk through the shopping area to the street. It you exit here you need to turn left toward Wendy's but at Wendy's there is a fork in the road, one road on the left continues to town the other on the right goes toward K-mart.

Now if you were to walk along the cruise ship dock and continue until you came out sort of next to/on the left of Wendys then you need to walk just a little to your right in order to turn left toward K-mart.

On St. John to get to Cinnamon Bay you need to take a taxi or rent a vechicle. Dollar rides don't exist on St. John and the public Vitran buses run along Centerline Road (Cinnamon Bay is off Northshore Road).

Caribbean Dreams - In the last 6-8 months the ferry prices have changed a couple times; the taxi rates changed back in October 05. The $2 open air safari being mentioned are the 'dollar rides' rather than a taxi.

--Islander

Last edited by The Islander; June 6th, 2006 at 10:25 AM.

Old June 6th, 2006, 10:31 AM
5,000+ Club

Also, don't forget the $4 pp admission fee to Trunk Bay beach. All together, between taxi's and ferry fare, I believe it's about $50 pp round trip to get the Trunk Bay from the cruise ship port. The upside from taking a ship's excursion is you can stay longer when you are on your own.

kitty

Link to all my photos on Photobucket:
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b276/alphakitty/

Carnival Fascination 09/2001
Carnival Sensation 10/2003
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 02/2004
Carnival Victory 09/2005
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 01/2006
Carnival Triumph 02/2007
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 10/2007
Carnival Spirit 02/2008
RCCL Independence of the Seas Pre-Inaugural 04/2008