A question for discerning Seabourn travellers!

salbags

I would really appreciate some help and advice on a couple of cruises on the new Scenic Eclipse. As there is no boards for this ocean cruise line as the ship has yet to be built and as we have only cruised with Seabourn before, thought this might be a good place to ask?!

The following cruise from Cartagena to Guayaquil through Panama Canal really appeals but I am unsure if it might be ruined by weather conditions as November is the wettest time of year for this location. I do not have much knowledge of the ports of call and would welcome any insights into these places.

https://www.scenic.co.uk/ocean-cruise/the-americas/d31c/6161-panama,-colombia-ecuador-discovery

The other cruise which appeals is Miami to Cartagena including Cuba and Belize. Again no knowledge of these ports of call but all look great, especially the Bocos del Toro Archipelago. This would be beginning of November and again not sure about weather conditions being that great?

https://www.scenic.co.uk/ocean-cruise/the-americas/d21c/6160-taste-of-cuba-caribbean

So any advice very welcome and appreciated

My initial thoughts were more of the ship and your overall experience rather than the specific ports of call.

Being an independent, privately owned company they don't have the immense buying power and logistical army of Carnival to follow them around the globe.

The promo video for the ship reminded me more of the film Westworld - the bad one where the robots go on a killing spree amongst the guests.

Return air fares, a 1:1 staff ratio, excursions, electric bikes, free tours, internet, drink dining etc, etc and for about £4,000 a week. My gut feel is that to deliver on the promise you're looking at closer to £10k a week if it is going to be scaled up private charter yacht rather than scaled down cruise ship.

The move from river to ocean is huge.

Henry :)

If the website is to be believed, the prices start at around £5,800 and are both sold out.

No both have availability and I know there is always a risk with a new product, but I have been on their river cruise ships and everything about them was first class so on that basis and yes the glossy advertising I have decided to go. I would really just like some help with the itinerary. Which would be best taking in the ports of call and weather conditions in those areas in early November.

November is the end of the rainy season in the Caribbean and the end of the dry season along the tropical Pacific coast of South America. Take your pick.

And look at historical data in weatherunderground.com for any area in the world.

My vote would be for the canal itinerary. If nothing else, you will travel through an engineering marvel. Belize + Cuba = zero for me. No opinion on weather. Agree that you should look at the climate charts.

• 8 months later...

Viking Cruises has made a very successful transition from river cruising to ocean cruising, based on the reviews of the new ocean ships. Viking is not in the same market as Seabourn, the ships are larger and there are other significant differences, but it seems as though they sell very well to a band of loyal passengers.

It remains to be seen if Scenic can do the same in the luxury market. Always one to give new things a try, I am booked on the Eclipse in September this year, and I will report back on cc. Hopefully the engines will be well tested and we won't require rescuing halfway through the transatlantic! Watch this space............................ (I might come running back to Seabourn!)

It remains to be seen if Scenic can do the same in the luxury market. Always one to give new things a try, I am booked on the Eclipse in September this year, and I will report back on cc. Hopefully the engines will be well tested and we won't require rescuing halfway through the transatlantic! Watch this space............................ (I might come running back to Seabourn!)

Which itinerary did you book?

And, I am looking forward to your review.

Which itinerary did you book?

And, I am looking forward to your review.

I am booked on the Barcelona to Miami transatlantic, departing 22 Sept 18. Lots (and lots!) of sea days but I am very happy with that as we live busy lives and the rest will be welcomed. Will write a comprehensive review on our return, and if internet is good, I will report along the way as well.

The weather statistics for the Caribbean can be somewhat deceptive, especially as you get closer to the equator. Yes, it will probably rain in November but any rain will come in a huge torrential downpour in the mid/late afternoon and probably be over in less than an hour but dropping a huge amount of water. It will be hot and very humid which can make things unpleasant but you really don't have to worry too much about the type of rain you have in Europe or North America. It won't last long but the heat and humidity will !!! No need to go to the sauna, just sit around the pool.

I would go for the Panama Canal trip, it's one of those things you just have to to do.