Azamara Journey Sept. 16 - 15 2016

cruising Katie

I will be on my 4th Azamara cruise next year, and wondered if anyone had any choice hotels that they have stayed in Venice and Rome. Myself and 4 friends have just booked our flights and plan on going in a few days early and staying a few days later. I would prefer the San Marco area in Venice and City Centre in Rome. Can't believe, some hotels are already booked so far in advance. Also, has anyone taken, taxi/bus from port into Rome. Thanks for any help, looking forward to getting back to Azamara, I have gone on a few other cruise lines in the last few years, and been very disappointed.

cruising Katie

Sorry it has been years since I have stayed in either city. You might have luck posting in your roll call. You also might consider, moving a bit out of your requested regions. I love staying in Trastevere in Rome. It is still an easy walk to everything, less turistico, and generally cheaper. Same with Venice- it is SO EASY to walk everywhere- try Dorsorduro. Also consider a short term Apt stay. The last time (5 years ago) I booked a 3 night apt-stay right on Piazza Navonna, for much cheaper than a hotel.

Enjoy- I am so jealous, as they are two of my favorite cities.

In Rome we stayed at an apartment in the city center. It was very nice and very reasonably priced. We had a group of 6 and walked to many of the sites. http://www.icapocci.it/welcome.asp

We used Rome in Limo to pick us up at the airport and take us to the apartment and again from the apartment to the port. We also used them for a private Vatican tour. Highly recommend them.

In Rome the Albergo del Senato has a great location by the Pantheon and is very friendly. In Venice I've stayed at the Antiche Figure which is a lovely hotel overlooking the Grand Canal, but it's a couple of kms away from San Marco. I'd also post your question on the relevant ports of call board and consult TripAdvisor. You'll get a ton more information than here.

Phil

One of the best positioned hotels in Venice has to be the historic Hotel Danieli, just a few metres away from Piazza San Marco. It's so near to the Vaporetto stops and although expensive, is a genuine Venetian classic grand hotel. Even if you don't stay there it's worth popping in for a drink and some nibbles.

We just stayed here in May 2015 for three nights before a cruise-- I did a TON of research and chose this place after looking at several dozen places on trip advisor. It's an easy walk to both Rialto Bridge and San Marco Piazza and Accademia areas. Very nice staff and our rate included a nice breakfast.

I wound second the Hotel Danieli in Venice. In Rome, we loved the St Regis. Both are beautiful, classically decorated Italian properties. You didn't say what price range you are looking for, but be prepared for the hotel prices. Last summer we stayed at the Westin Europa in Venice and it was almost $1,000/night. But for, us, Italy is worth it.

Michael

This past April in Venice we stayed at the sister hotel of the Daniell, the Gritti Palace, if you have amex starwood points you can use them to stay at either hotel.

Both are incredible hotels, you will never want to leave!

TripAdvisor is your best bet for comparing prices and reading reviews.

Have you thought about looking at Airbnb. I know there are some fabulous apartments right in the heart of Rome that would be amazing to stay in -and I thought really well priced (especially if split 3 ways) and I'm sure you could find something equally awesome in Venice.

Just another way to immerse yourself in your destination.

Whatever you choose to do enjoy your cruise and had a terrific time in Venice & Rome :D

In Venice I can recommend the Hilton Molino Stucky, which although it is on Guidecca Island has a free shuttle to San Marco. The hotel is gorgeous, the views are fantastic, and it's nice and quiet.

I can second that recommendation. This is where Azamara booked us into for the night before we boarded our latest cruise from Venice. The free shuttle took us directly to the Journey berthed opposite the hotel. Looking at prices they start at around 300 euros per room per night for next September. [Or you can pay around 8000 euros per night for the Presidential Suite, spread over two floors, if you wish - it does sleep four though!]

In Rome we stayed at the Albergo Santa Chiara very near the Pantheon. Perfect location. Walking distance to most everything in Rome. If you can get a room that has a terrace...these are on the top floor.

http://www.albergosantachiara.com/

I know you said you wanted to stay close to San Marco, but you will find anything there of any quality to be very expensive. Most of the hotels on Venice are that way...BUT, if you are open to staying on a neighboring island, I can highly recommend the Murano Palace on the "glass blowing" island of Murano.

http://www.muranopalace.com/

We stayed here and it was awesome. The owner, Caeser, was great. Just take a water bus and enjoy the scenery as you come and go to Venice. Also, Murano is the place to shop for and buy the famous Murano Crystal.

I have never taken transport from cruise port into Rome, but have disembarked there for a trip to the airport, and can tell you, it is about 20-30 minutes depending upon traffic.

Enjoy your pre and post cruise visits...we loved both cities

Try this website and look around to see what is still available for your dates http://www.trulyveniceapartments.com/apartments. Beware, most of the apartments rent for several nights to a week or more only. This one in particular http://www.trulyveniceapartments.com/apartments/vendramin is 1,000E for 3 nights in September 2016 for up to 5 people, with 2 baths near San Marco. Actually just found the one we rented http://www.trulyveniceapartments.com/apartments/giorgione . We used this company in 2009 and were very happy with service, location, communication, etc. The apartment we rented was a beautiful place, clean, wonderful in all aspects.

Edited by ginny123
additional info

It's a long journey to the port from Rome. We took the train - much cheaper!

Certainly the train is cheaper, but there is also the cost of a taxi to your hotel in Rome, and an uncertain security risk of transit with luggage through the train station. For five people, a port to hotel limo shutte might be reasonable.

I used the service below several years ago. They quote 145 euros for 5 passengers and luggage (port to Rome). However there are many other similar services.

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/