Blue Kay or Maya Chan

morebeaches

I am sure others will respond but I can only comment on Maya Chan. We just booked our 6th visit to this resort for December.

We have always had excellent service that is personalized. The food is great and it is one of the most relaxing days of the cruise.

Once you arrive, you are served a drink of your choice, salsa and chips-tasty!

You can snorkel, use their paddle boats or float around in tubes with a drink holder.

Lunch is buffet style and all offerings are excellent.

I would love to try another resort, but whenever we are in Costa Maya, we cannot resist returning.

I will check back to read what others have to say about another resort but we will stay with Maya Chan.

My only hope is that the Mexican government fixes their roadways!

Is there a cost to Maya Chan? If so do you know what it is?

Maya Chan is $59/pp for adults (all inclusive) and less for kids. They also have group pricing.

If you do a search for Mitsugirly's reviews, she has links in her signature line to reviews by port. I believe she has been to both Maya Chan and Blue Kay, so if you find her reviews you will have a ton of information, including great pictures.

ETA: Found the reviews for you:

Maya Chan: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30654861&postcount=12

Blue Kay: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2130767&page=24

Edited by garnet115

How far is Maya Chan from Fernandos? Can you take a cab back to Fernandos if you wanted? I was stuck b/t Maya Chan and Yaya beach because I know Yaya is close to Fernandos.

Maya Chan is no more than a kilometer past the very southern end of the malecon, so it's a bit short for a taxi ride back up to Fernando's new spot (less than a mile). If you're spending the $$ to go to Maya Chan, you might as well stay there. They do have good food and service, and then just stop by Fernando's on the way back to the ship (have the taxi wait) and say hi. If you want to enjoy the beach and then eat at Fernando's Ya Ya's would be a better choice. You might also investigate if Fernando has loungers too.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to both, and will be returning to Costa Maya next February. I plan to return to Blue Kay. Why? The water is clear, though barely more than knee deep. At Maya Chan, at least when I was there, the water was very murky. Also, at Blue Kay, the two of us had all we wanted to drink and eat (which we picked from a menu), and the total cost was about $60. At Maya Chan, it was about that much per person, and they were ready to send us back to the port pretty early. Although the food was good at Maya Chan, you eat what they have laid out for you, not what you choose. I actually preferred the food at Blue Kay. Finally, it took quite a long time to travel to and from Maya Chan on very bumpy roads, and once there you are stuck. At Blue Kay, you get off at the first stop, and it is probably only about 5 minutes from port. Once there, if you want to walk around and see what else is going on, you are right on the Malecon, so just pay up and leave. When you are ready to head back to port, taxis are readily available for $2 return.

The things that are better about Maya Chan are that it is more secluded, and has better lounging areas. Most will have their own completely covered areas, with chairs, a bed and a hammock. At Blue Kay, you have those wooden chairs or loungers. On the whole though, I choose Blue Kay.

I've been to both, and will be returning to Costa Maya next February. I plan to return to Blue Kay. Why? The water is clear, though barely more than knee deep. At Maya Chan, at least when I was there, the water was very murky. Also, at Blue Kay, the two of us had all we wanted to drink and eat (which we picked from a menu), and the total cost was about $60. At Maya Chan, it was about that much per person, and they were ready to send us back to the port pretty early. Although the food was good at Maya Chan, you eat what they have laid out for you, not what you choose. I actually preferred the food at Blue Kay. Finally, it took quite a long time to travel to and from Maya Chan on very bumpy roads, and once there you are stuck. At Blue Kay, you get off at the first stop, and it is probably only about 5 minutes from port. Once there, if you want to walk around and see what else is going on, you are right on the Malecon, so just pay up and leave. When you are ready to head back to port, taxis are readily available for $2 return.

The things that are better about Maya Chan are that it is more secluded, and has better lounging areas. Most will have their own completely covered areas, with chairs, a bed and a hammock. At Blue Kay, you have those wooden chairs or loungers. On the whole though, I choose Blue Kay.

Hi Travelicious, Have you been to Tropicante before? I'm trying to decide between there or Blue Kay. I'm wondering how the food compares between these two places. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We went to Maya Chan with a group of about 25 last February and were very impressed. The staff were very accommodating and incredibly nice. The food was delicious and drinks plentiful. A few people in our group were disappointed because the water isn't a brilliant blue color which seemed a little silly to me.

We had a blast sitting in floating chairs while the staff waded out with more drinks. They knew exactly what time we should leave to make it back to the ship and kept an eye on the time for us so we could relax completely. I would book again in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 1cruisinggal. I have seen Tropicante, but have not eaten there or sat in their portion of the beach. If you have not been to the area before, you probably are not aware that there are a number of restaurants along the malecon that are very close together, and they each have chairs on the beach for their customers to sit in. Tropicante is in the midst of all the others, so it is not like you have a secluded area to lounge on the beach. Blue Kay is at the end, toward the lighthouse, and is more spread out and a little further away from all of the others. I can't speak for the food at Tropicante, although people who have been there do rave about it on here.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Travelicious, Have you been to Tropicante before? I'm trying to decide between there or Blue Kay. I'm wondering how the food compares between these two places. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Although I have not been to Tropicante before, I have been to Nohoch, which is right down from it. It's all located along the same beach/area/Malecon. I highly suggest checking out Blue Kay. My review is in my signature line and there's TONS of pictures in it. :)

Does anyone know how to contact Blue Kay too make a reservation, or whether you need to make one at all? I sent an email a few days ago and did not get a response. We are a party of six adults, four or whom really don't drink so prefer a pay as you go place rather than all inclusive, and from the varies reviews this place sounds ideal.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Does anyone know how to contact Blue Kay too make a reservation, or whether you need to make one at all? I sent an email a few days ago and did not get a response. We are a party of six adults, four or whom really don't drink so prefer a pay as you go place rather than all inclusive, and from the varies reviews this place sounds ideal.

I always talk to Juan juanortega dot com @ icloud dot com

He has always answered me pretty quickly. There should be an email on the website as well.

You do not need to make a reservation. They accept walk ups. Packages are optional (which you can also buy/decide on once you get there as well). :)