Wonder how the oil spill will affect cruises?

Not sure what you mean. The area where the leakage is occurring is not an area where the cruise ships sail as part of their normal operations. Are you concerned about fuel surcharges being added to current bookings?

To the OP - want to know what the oil spill will affect? Probably cruises leaving from New Orleans, Mobile and Galveston will be affected once this oil makes it to the shore line.

But how about all the families who depend on the Shrimping Industry for a livelyhood. Then we have our wildlife that will be affected. Redfish, pelicans, sea gulls, otters, to name a few.

Then we have the impact of what will happen when our government suspends the future of offshore drilling. Lets not mention the impact of what the lost of millions of oil will do to the price of gas as the gas pumps or crude oil to heat the homes of people to the north of us.

And lets not forget the loss of lives. Lots of people were affected by lossing eleven men; these men were husbands, fathers and sons.

Just say a prayer that this will be the worst of it but from our local news it will be worst then this.

It is a very serious situation. Thank you for reminding all of us of what a horrible thing this spill is and how it affects many of us in one way or another.

My prayers go out to them.

Karon

I am orginally from Connecticut and now live in Louisiana and I can tell you that this is not funny.

To the OP - want to know what the oil spill will affect? Probably cruises leaving from New Orleans, Mobile and Galveston will be affected once this oil makes it to the shore line.

But how about all the families who depend on the Shrimping Industry for a livelyhood. Then we have our wildlife that will be affected. Redfish, pelicans, sea gulls, otters, to name a few.

Then we have the impact of what will happen when our government suspends the future of offshore drilling. Lets not mention the impact of what the lost of millions of oil will do to the price of gas as the gas pumps or crude oil to heat the homes of people to the north of us.

And lets not forget the loss of lives. Lots of people were affected by lossing eleven men; these men were husbands, fathers and sons.

Just say a prayer that this will be the worst of it but from our local news it will be worst then this.

Amen. I'm sickened by what this is going to do the wildlife. Praying for our Gulf and all the states affected.

???? Anyone know ????

The prevailing winds are currently from the south; it would appear inevitable that the LA, AL, MS, and possibly NW FL coastlines are in serious peril. Doubtful that TX would be impacted. Unless ship traffic is interrupted into the Mississippi River delta, or the Port of Mobile, I wouldn't think that this will impact the cruise ships.

<editorial>

The irony here is inescapable, and so tragic...even the Obama administration got caught up in this "Drill, Baby Drill" nonsense...funny how circumstances can change on a dime, bringing us all back down to Earth.

</editorial>

I too heard that it was expected to be a bigger mess than the Exxon Valdez..i just saw on the news that an oil covered bird was found..the first of many I am sure.

Someone on CNN or weather channel also said that the slick is expected to spread to Florida....and that the Coast Guard (i think..didn't hear very well) was considering setting fire to it??

It's a very sad situation for all involved...those that lost their lives, the survivors and the people in the areas that will be affected for a very long time....

I am sick about it. Looking at the poor wildlife on the news makes me so sad. I live in Central Florida and they're saying even our Brevard beaches may be affected as the spill makes its way around the Florida peninsula.

Someone just posted that it's expected to hit the alabama and louisiana shores (which it is).

There are cruise boats that leave out of both Mobile and New Orleans.

Just adding to the conversation.

My uncle works on an oil rig, and I'm thankful that he wasn't on this one, but he did lose friends.

The first pictures of oil soaked birds are starting to show up. Quite tragic.

Original poster here .... I think that some of you feel that I was not concerned about beaches, animals, jobs, etc only cruises. ALL of that concerns me but since this is a cruise message board I thought I'd focus on the affect it may have on the cruise industry. I mean, there are ships out of the gulf.

Original poster here .... I think that some of you feel that I was not concerned about beaches, animals, jobs, etc only cruises. ALL of that concerns me but since this is a cruise message board I thought I'd focus on the affect it may have on the cruise industry. I mean, there are ships out of the gulf.

------------------------------------------------------------

Off th Gulf Coast Departures Board

4/29/10 - Mississippi River Ship Traffic Not Affected by Oil Spill The U.S. Coast Guard has confirmed to the Port of New Orleans that Southwest Pass, the main deepwater channel from the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico, is open and that they don’t anticipate any restrictions to the shipping channel due to the oil spill at the present time.

“The shipping community in New Orleans is closely monitoring the situation with the oil spill in the Gulf,” said Gary LaGrange, President and CEO of the Port of New Orleans. “While ship traffic is not affected, we believe it is important to take a pro-active stance to protect the flow of commerce on the Mississippi River. While there is no indication that the spill currently threatens shipping traffic, out of an abundance of caution, we will stay in contact with spill recovery officials and keep our customers and contacts informed.”

“The Port and the maritime community urge the Coast Guard to take all necessary precautions to ensure the continuous access to the Mississippi River ship channel for all oceangoing vessels,” LaGrange said.

Also see off the Gulf Coast Departures Board

I live in the Mobile, AL area and this is the latest from a local news channel. The Gulf Shores area will also be effected in this spill and we are preparing for worst case scenario.

http://www.wkrg.com/gulf_oil_spill/a...2010_11-48-pm/

• 1 month later...

The oil that is leaking was from an exploratory well, and was never priced into the market. So, this leak will not affect prices.

I agree with the original poster....I live in Alabama and am very concerned about the impact of the oil spill on every aspect. It is horribly tragic on many levels. However, I came to this specific board to see if anyone knew the impact on the cruise industry specifically.

Archived