Upgrade

Arizona

...has anyone upgraded upon checking in or has it always been prior?

It more often happens in advance, mostly because Oceania ships usually sail with high occupancy rates, so there isn't a lot of wiggle room on sailing day.

That said, I'm sure that it HAS been done, it just isn't typical or usual.

What the upgrade is worth to you, no one else can say. Some people do it for the extra legroom (any kind of penthouse is HUGE compared to a veranda cabin). They are not literally twice the size, but they are so much more light and airy that they FEEL that way.

o-room-lg-ph1.jpg

Others do it for the Butler service, or the extended room service options, I even know one woman who insists on a penthouse because of the walk in closet!

223925.jpg On a ten day itinerary, if up-sells to a Penthouse are available, they usually start at around $1500 per passenger (although it may cost more t move up from a B4), and if you think that you are interested, you have to jump on it quickly, because the deals dry up when the empty cabins are gone.

If some suites remain empty, naturally the deals to upgrade become sweeter, but I never have the nerve to wait it out. :p

Decide how much you are willing to pay for the upgrade. . . $1000 person, $750. . . . $500 .

Let your TA know he/she has your permission to accept an offer at $XXX/person.

Our experience is that TAs are contacted as the date gets closer. If your TA has to wait to contact you and get approval before accepting the offer from Oceania you just may miss you chance.

We set the price, when the upsell price hit our mark, our TA grabbed it. We could not be happier.

Next time we will reserve a PH upfront to get exactly the location and cabin we choose.

For my 12 day Riviera cruise, the difference in price from a B4 to a PH3 was just under $4000 for the cabin ($2000 a person). I booked the B4. It it was $500 more a person, I would have taken the PH3. It is a much nicer cabin, but to me, I was not going to spend more than that. Many people disagree, which is why all the PH cabins are waitlisted for this sailing and until recently, you could still get a B4. I am sure there is somebody who booked an outside cabin who made their comparison between that and a B4, which is the least expensive balcony cabin and decided to stay with the outside cabin and save the money. That is why there are so many different cabin choices. Only you can decide your comfort point in spending. Oceania has determined that the $2000 a person is what they think it is worth, it you don't agree, you go with a lesser cabin. Either way, have a great cruise - I would sail by the engine room if it meant going on an Oceania cruise.

"I even know one woman who insists on a penthouse because of the walk in closet!"

LOL - I am glad to know there is another woman out there that thinks like me. The walkin closet ALONE was SOOOO worth the price we paid for our recent upsell on the April 2nd cruise on the Marina.

We're less than 30 days out on the Riviera and we upgraded (ok, everyone, I was upsold (is that a word?)) at what I would think is a great price. We went from a B3 extended balcony to a PH2 for $500 each. I hope that walk-in closet is worth it!

We're less than 30 days out on the Riviera and we upgraded (ok, everyone, I was upsold (is that a word?)) at what I would think is a great price. We went from a B3 extended balcony to a PH2 for $500 each. I hope that walk-in closet is worth it!

I think that's a great move. Congratulations. You'll love the PH.

We originally had an inside cabin and were offered an upgrade to level B1 for a very good price, it would have cost us more if we had booked it in the first place. I guess we got lucky. There are no guarantees you will get offered a good upgrade so to ensure you get what you want, book it in the beginning. This is only my second cruise and am really looking forward to this!

Did you go straight to Oceania to do the upgrade, or through the travel agency you booked with?

Did you go straight to Oceania to do the upgrade, or through the travel agency you booked with?

If you booked through a TA then the offer would come from the TA. It is a good idea to discuss your interest with your TA early on. They can monitor for upgrade offers and if you set some parameters they can even accept it on your behalf. Sometimes the offers go very quickly, sometimes less so but that way you will be less likely to miss out. You might find out you have an upgrade even before you'd otherwise see the offer in your email.

That is a good upsell deal ;)

enjoy

I was offered a VIsta Suite (from a PH3) but we didn't act fast enough. You really have to tell your TA upfront so they can accept right away.

Gail - may i ask how soon before the cruise they made the offer? Thanks...gary

• 9 months later...

I realize this thread is old but I had to search regarding this specific upgrade because I was offered a Vista suite for several European itineraries this spring at no extra charge to me if I forfeit my Oceania suite for Caribbean Hideaways 2/12/13 (next week!!). I'm currently scouring my brochures and trying to figure out if I can make this work. Part of me wants to try for a much desired Med. cruise in a Vista and my more sensible side is steering me toward escaping the cold Boston weather for sun and fun in the islands now. BTW I figure the dollar amount of this to equal upwards of $10k. Please feel free to comment and or suggest...

Archived