From Nice To Venice? Need Some Help.

Cool Rod

Hi Everyone.

My wife and I sailed on the Stella Maris from Nice to Venice on our honeymoon in 1989. We'd like to do the same thing or something very similar for our 25th anniversary, which is coming up next month. We could travel later though, the exact anniversary date isn't critical, and we could do a reverse route instead.

Can anyone point me to a cruise that does a trip like that? The Stella Maris was a small ship and it could enter small ports and we'd like to do that. Maybe these days there are only large ships though, so Que Sera, Sera.

Thanks for your help. :)

Have not heard of any cruise line starting cruises in Nice. Many start in Venice and may pass through Nice. Many also start in Barcelona or Rome, and may stop at Nice. So I would start looking at cruises that start in one of those three ports.

At this late date, any cheap cruise fares are going to get hit hard by last minute airfares. A later in the summer trip will probably work out better in terms of getting everything arranged.

Do you have access to a travel agent? That would be a good place to start.

Agree with CruiserBruce. I just looked at a couple of very good data bases and there are no cruises (in the near future) that start in Nice and end (or even stop) in Venice. This will probably not change in the future because of the limitations of the Port of Nice which cannot handle large cruise ships. There are only a handful of ships that embark in Nice and they are relatively small vessels like the French Le Ponant and the upscale Sea Dream.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You are not likely to find that itinerary. However there are ferries following routes all over the Mediterranean. With some research (and a willingness to handle some changes) you can get pretty much from anywhere to anywhere else. From my own experience, I know you can get a ferry from Nice to Corsica, another from Corsica to Civita Vecchia (Rome), then train across to Bari on the Adriatic, then a ferry to Patras in Greece, finally another ferry from Patras to Venice.

You could leave from Monte Carlo to Venice with Regent or Silverseas in June or Sept

They are luxury lines

Marseille to Venice in May on Oceania

Edited by LHT28

Wow, thanks for the information. You completely nailed it!

The Azamara cruise is precisely what we wanted, but we can't travel in May, it turns out we're going to have to plan on August or September.

I'll check Regent and Silverseas.

:)

The Azamara cruise is precisely what we wanted, but we can't travel in May, it turns out we're going to have to plan on August or September.

Are you looking for 2014 or 2015 cruises???

I only looked for 2014 cruises so their may be other lines doing the the route in 2015 besides Azamara

Happy 25th Anniversary

Ok, lets talk about ports. The OP specifically asked for the "Nice" and the Azamara cruise does not leave from Nice but rather from nearby Villefranche. One hassle with embarkations in Villefranche is that it is a tender port. If you want to expand your horizons to Villefranche then also consider going a few miles further to Monte Carlo where there are even more options (and you do not have to tender). Many years ago we used to cruise in and out of Nice on the old Regent Spirit, but alas, that cruise line went bankrupt and that particular ship was scrapped in 2010.

If you could somehow change your plans and cruise in June 2015, the Regent Seven Seas Mariner (a very ultra-luxury ship/line) has an amazing 17 night cruise (June 4, 2015) from Monte Carlo to Venice. This particular cruise is quite unique because in 17 days it does not have a single day at sea! It is the perfect cruise for folks that want to see a lot of places....and an absolutely awful cruise for those of us who love our sea days :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Ok, lets talk about ports. The OP specifically asked for the "Nice" and the Azamara cruise does not leave from Nice but rather from nearby Villefranche. One hassle with embarkations in Villefranche is that it is a tender port. If you want to expand your horizons to Villefranche then also consider going a few miles further to Monte Carlo where there are even more options (and you do not have to tender). Many years ago we used to cruise in and out of Nice on the old Regent Spirit, but alas, that cruise line went bankrupt and that particular ship was scrapped in 2010.

If you could somehow change your plans and cruise in June 2015, the Regent Seven Seas Mariner (a very ultra-luxury ship/line) has an amazing 17 night cruise (June 4, 2015) from Monte Carlo to Venice. This particular cruise is quite unique because in 17 days it does not have a single day at sea! It is the perfect cruise for folks that want to see a lot of places....and an absolutely awful cruise for those of us who love our sea days :)

Hank

Where are you seeing Villefranche?

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/view-cruise-itinerary/10-night-monaco-italy-and-adriatic-voyage_JR10M102-1432612800

TUE 26-MAY NICE, FRANCE Embark 5:00 pm