How rough are the seas in the Galapagos??

I'm just wondering how rough the seas are in the Galapagos and whether there is a time of year to go for calmer seas. I would like to travel with a friend and she is very prone to sea-sickness but know that she would love the trip. What would suggest as the "calmest" time? Obviously, I know there are no guarantees! :)

I went in Feb. and the water was calm and relatively warm (still need a wetsuit for snorkeling). It was the rainy season, although it only rained one day out of eight. I have read that the fall may have rougher and colder seas. You might consider booking one of the larger ships. I was on Lindblad/National Geo's Endeavour with a capacity of 90, I believe, and I felt very little motion as we sailed from island to island, usually at night.

Did the Galapagos in May a few years back on the Polaris (an 80 pax ship recently retired and replaced by Endeavour) - the seas presented no problem. Endeavour should be more stable - we did the Antarctic on Endeavour - it dealt with Drake's passage quite well. We are considering doing the Galapagos again on Islander.

The Endeavour might be a better choice for you than the Islander because it has stabilizers and is much larger. I felt very little motion while on the Endeavour in the Galapagos, but the weather was calm that week. As for the time of year, you can call Lindblad or Nat Geo and one of their consultations would probably have some good advice.

• 3 weeks later...

We did the Galapagos several years ago in June on the Polaris. Had a great time and no problem with rough water. And that was an old ship. I would think the newer ships would be even better. Still, I would never go on a cruise without having some motion sickness med with me. John.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got back from a Nov. 4 trip on the Celebrity Expedition. The seas were very calm; only a small amount of movement one evening while we slept. The rest of the time, smooth as glass. The weather was quite good at almost all of the islands; occasionally, a bit humid and sprinkles one morning, but otherwise sunny and pleasant. From what I have read, it is cooler in the Fall and more pleasant; the Spring sounds way too hot for much of the hiking you will want to do. I can't say enough good things about the trip - the wildlife was incredible.

Archived