Should I make this cruise change?

Cinedan

I am booked on the Freedom on Jan 25th, 2014. An eight day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. Ports are:

• Ft Lauderdale (Pt Evrglds), FL
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • Grand Turk
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico
  • St. Maarten, NA
  • St. Thomas, USVI
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • Ft Lauderdale (Pt Evrglds)

I am booked in a 4J walkway view cabin.

I'm thinking I may want to change to The Splendor eight day cruise out of New York on Jan 20th, 2014. Ports:

• New York, NY
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL
  • Nassau, the Bahamas
  • Freeport, the Bahamas
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • New York, NY

I have a 24 hour hold on this cruise with a BALCONY room, that is only an amazing $125.00 more than my 4J cabin on the Freedom! I have never had a balcony room before. This cruise also has one more fun day at sea. I know the itinerary is better on the Freedom.

Another reason I may want to make the change is the long, 2 days at sea (each way) in the open Atlantic! I'm hoping that I would have rougher seas at times, which I love!! I know it will be cold for a bit heading out and coming back. I was just wondering about how long after departure from NYC does it start to warm up?

Agree about keeping what you have.

Just recently there was a thread about most hated ports and Bahamas was among them. Not to mention it will be cold, possibly the entire time, on the Splendor cruise. And this is my totally biased opinion, but the Splendor is about the ugliest ship ever. It's as if it was decorated as a prank, but there was no time to fix it, so they just let it sail...And do you really want to fly into New York in January?

We had our first balcony room on Splendor also during a January. It was cold and windy much of the time, not worth the extra money.

Either way you'll have a good cruise, and if a balcony means that much to you, go for it. But personally I think the cruise you've already got seems like the better choice.

I am booked on the Freedom on Jan 25th, 2014. An eight day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. Ports are:

• Ft Lauderdale (Pt Evrglds), FL
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • Grand Turk
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico
  • St. Maarten, NA
  • St. Thomas, USVI
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • Ft Lauderdale (Pt Evrglds)

I am booked in a 4J walkway view cabin.

I'm thinking I may want to change to The Splendor eight day cruise out of New York on Jan 20th, 2014. Ports:

• New York, NY
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL
  • Nassau, the Bahamas
  • Freeport, the Bahamas
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • Fun Day at Sea
  • New York, NY

I have a 24 hour hold on this cruise with a BALCONY room, that is only an amazing $125.00 more than my 4J cabin on the Freedom! I have never had a balcony room before. This cruise also has one more fun day at sea. I know the itinerary is better on the Freedom.

Another reason I may want to make the change is the long, 2 days at sea (each way) in the open Atlantic! I'm hoping that I would have rougher seas at times, which I love!! I know it will be cold for a bit heading out and coming back. I was just wondering about how long after departure from NYC does it start to warm up?

Upgrade to a balcony on the Freedom. ;)

Saling out of NYC at that time will be very cold until you reach florida.... Same on the way back. So 4 of your 8 days would be cold.

Thanks so much, everyone! You guys helped me make up my mind. Screw the Splendor!:D

Being from Michigan, I want all the warm days I can get in Jan! The thought of flying to a freezing and possibly snowy NYC sucks!

The balcony upgrade would be about $700 more on the Freedom:eek:! I'll stick with my 4J with its secret deck just outside my window!

Are you serious? There is no comparison. NY in January would turn me off. You might be dealing with a snow storm coming or going. I've done both itineraries numerous times and Freedom is way better IMO. I have a Splendor booked because I liked the price and I love ship life. But as you already know the prices are much lower on that cruise. Because savy cruisers find other ports more inviting.

Stay with the first choice, the Freedom. It's the difference of being warm in winter for 8 days, or moderately warm for the three that you are in the Bahamas. You will leave in the cold, be cold for the three days that you are cruising, and be cold for the days returning. If it was May or June or July it might be a different story. And your ports are much more interesting on the Freedom cruise.

I would stay with the Freedom. January out of NY would just be cold, and you even run the risk of there being a cold front whenyou get to Florida (we can also reach freezing temperatures here in the winter, plus its too cold to swim in the Ocean in January). I know a balcony would be awesome, but not at the expense of possibly having a cold, vacation where you feel like you're stuck inside anyway.

You state you have already decided, that's great, In my opinion you made the correct choice. Heck, I wouldn't even call those options a choice. ;) You could easily be cold almost the entire cruise with the balcony. We have been below freezing many times in the winter here in FL so no guarantee of warm weather on that trip. What good is a balcony if it's too cold to enjoy it?

Great pick, enjoy the cruise. :)

Stay with what you have and try to change to a balcony. Leaving out of NYC is hit or miss being really cold or mild like in the low 40s as a high. Rough seas are a good chance on a day going or coming or like what happened to us last year not at all, I too like rough seas. Then of course there may or may not be snow. Finally I have to ask why give up those Ports for the Bahamas?

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

On a second thought, with the weather we have been having here maybe, just maybe the ships might have to avoid icebergs while leaving or coming back into the Hudson. There have been before. Shanghai Reds in Weehawken was hit by one and rebuilt as the Chart House. That would make for an interesting cruise. But still not enough to switch from Florida with that itinerary to go to the Bahamas.

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

It really depends on what YOU enjoy. If you're delighted just being on the ship for 8 days, I'd go with the Spendor, since you really want a balcony. BUT, if you enjoy getting off the ship at different ports, you should stick with the Freedom. It has a much better itinerary. Either way, I hope you have a fabulous cruise.

p.s., keep checking fares. It's possible the Freedom balconies may come down in price and you can upgrade for little money. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Archived