Passports or birth certificates?

jdragr

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

A birth certificate is not enough, government issued photo id is also required for those older than 16.

Make sure any birth certificate is one that is acceptable to CBP.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-program-background

Edited by broberts

Hi jdragr, I don't think you can. If you are travelling to another country, you need to have a passport. Different rules apply for domestic (in which case you only need a drivers licence etc, or at least that's how it works in Australia), but I'm positive you will need to get a passport unfortunately. Hope all goes well and I'm wrong!

This topic has been done to death.

If you are planning on any future travel outside of the United States, you should get a passport. Each govt. agency, company, etc. may have different requirements, which can change without notice. A passport is the bottom line, great equalizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This topic has been done to death.

If you are planning on any future travel outside of the United States, you should get a passport. Each govt. agency, company, etc. may have different requirements, which can change without notice. A passport is the bottom line, great equalizer.

This is my first cruise and first time to travel outside of the us since I was a teen. I truly didn't know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For US citizens...an official government issued (not hospital issued) Birth Certificate and a VALID Govt issued photo ID is what is needed for a closed loop cruise. Which is a cruise that begins and ends at the same port in the US. The names on these documents need to match, so if your name has changed due to marriage, divorce, etc, you need to bring the bridging documents reflecting those name changes.

There are exceptions to the above and if you are a US citizen but possibly not born in the US or there is anything else unusual then you will need additional documentation.

If in doubt spend the money and get a passport, they last 10 yrs and then you will not run the risk of trouble on your cruise or being denied boarding due to paperwork.

Use the links provided above to make sure you are able to comply and if your circumstances are unusual at all....check it out and just get a passport!

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Due to a government program US CITIZENS can travel out of country on a cruise AS LONG AS you embark and disembark in the same US PORT. All you need is government issued photo ID and birth certificate

Due to a government program US CITIZENS can travel out of country on a cruise AS LONG AS you embark and disembark in the same US PORT. All you need is government issued photo ID and birth certificate

Yes that's all you need until you run into some official (govt or otherwise) who asks you for your passport. Don't be "penny wise and pound foolish" when it comes to:

Passport

AND

Travel Insurance

Pre/post cruise buffer travel days

Etc.

The first few times you travel internationally or via unfamiliar carriers like a cruise line (in your case), you will encounter all sorts of new challenges. This is part of the reason why I suggested you get a trusted TA.

That said, most of this is common sense. If you try to cut too many corners, you will trip over one of them.

I talked to more than one TA including one suggested by a forum member. I'm not stupid. I am a professional and own my own business. I thought the first time cruiser forum was just that a place for new cruisers to ask questions. If you think my questions are foolish you don't have to comment on them.

I talked to more than one TA including one suggested by a forum member. I'm not stupid. I am a professional and own my own business. I thought the first time cruiser forum was just that a place for new cruisers to ask questions. If you think my questions are foolish you don't have to comment on them.

Just keep asking, your just fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Again, sorry if I sounded less than supportive. It's just that, compared to the many great suggestions you'll get here, you'll also get a lot of misinformation (a given on the internet). Primary sources (I.e., whoever controls whatever you're talking about) is the best way to get correct answers.

Flatbush, I think the boards are a great place to start because sometimes a new cruiser does not even know there is a question that needs asking.

These boards at least give you somewhere to start and say "OMG I did not know that", need to check this out and get more info. That's certainly how I came to this board... It was very scary that for such a smart gal, I was clueless about how all this cruising stuff worked!

Edited by nana541

Flatbush, I think the boards are a great place to start because sometimes a new cruiser does not even know there is a question that needs asking.

These boards at least give you somewhere to start and say "OMG I did not know that", need to check this out and get more info. That's certainly how I came to this board... It was very scary that for such a smart gal, I was clueless about how all this cruising stuff worked!

Yes, I agree. But, lately, I've seen a lot of misinformation being cast about and, sadly, some new cruisers may take the advice as "gospel." My other concern is the "cheapest price syndrome," which we know how that will turn out.

Thanks fit reminding me that this area us for "new" cruisers.

OP, of course a passport is the best form of travel documentation but do you need it for your trip? A lot of factors play into that decision. How likely is it that you would need to interrupt your trip and return home for a family emergency? If you have loved ones at home that could need you immediately then having a passport would ensure that you could get home faster. There are provisions in the regulations that allow DHS and State to waive the passport requirement for emergencies but if you have to get home in a hurry you don't need the delay that would cause. Are you doing any type of excursion with a higher risk of being left behind by the ship? If you are traveling a good distance from the port on a private excursion this could increase your chances of being left, and of course you would need to wait until you obtained travel documentation to return to the States by air.

BUT traveling with birth certificate/government issued photo ID is generally a low risk proposition. The vast majority of people that leave on a cruise ship end up coming back on the same cruise ship. Bottom line is that it is acceptable to travel with those documents for a US citizen on a closed loop cruise and that is not likely to change any time soon. The other options that are available are Passport Cards and if you live in one of the state's that issue them an Enhanced Drivers License. Do your research and choose the form of documentation that meets your individual needs.

OP, continue to post here and ask all the questions you want. I think what Flatbush says about incorrect info is right, and primary sources are best: CBP (Customs and Border Protection) website covers the actual legal requirements.

You will get some false info, like the poster who claimed that a passport was definitely required. I would suggest that you use the search feature of the boards to look for previous threads covering the topic you want. While the feature is not real user friendly, and not totally useful, it will point you to some previous posts on your topic, and keep you from getting comments about how a subject has been beaten to death, as vast quantities of information, opinion, myth and truth are stored on these boards.

While nana's definition of a closed loop cruise is nearly correct, you must add that all ports must be in the western hemisphere , and while I know that doesn't apply to your upcoming cruise, it is an important distinction, because the regulation allowing cruising on your BC and ID is the WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative).

If you are a natural born US citizen, you can travel with an original copy of your birth certificte (usually has a raised seal) and a government issued photo ID (most use DL). This will be fine for a closed loop cruise (that is one starting and ending in the same US port and only visiting places like the Caribbean, Bahamas, Mexico, etc.

Problems would arise if you had to take an international flight. If you miss the ship in a port, someone in your party is sick or has an accident requiring a stay in a port for a while, serious illness or death of someone at home. In these cases, you would have to go to a US consulate and apply for a passport. It takes several days to a week or more to get a passport issued like this. You would be responsible for all expenses (lodging, food, transport, passport fees, etc)

If you are a natural born US citizen, you can travel with an original copy of your birth certificte (usually has a raised seal) and a government issued photo ID (most use DL). This will be fine for a closed loop cruise (that is one starting and ending in the same US port and only visiting places like the Caribbean, Bahamas, Mexico, etc.

Problems would arise if you had to take an international flight. If you miss the ship in a port, someone in your party is sick or has an accident requiring a stay in a port for a while, serious illness or death of someone at home. In these cases, you would have to go to a US consulate and apply for a passport. It takes several days to a week or more to get a passport issued like this. You would be responsible for all expenses (lodging, food, transport, passport fees, etc)

It is my understanding that the passenger would need to go to the Consulate and they would issue a temporary travel document allowing the passenger to fly without a passport, at least in most cases. There are provisions in the DHS regulations for a waiver of the passport requirement for a medical emergency or for humanitarian reasons.

Hi jdragr, I don't think you can. If you are travelling to another country, you need to have a passport. Different rules apply for domestic (in which case you only need a drivers licence etc, or at least that's how it works in Australia), but I'm positive you will need to get a passport unfortunately. Hope all goes well and I'm wrong!

OP, continue to post here and ask all the questions you want. I think what Flatbush says about incorrect info is right, and primary sources are best: CBP (Customs and Border Protection) website covers the actual legal requirements.

You will get some false info, like the poster who claimed that a passport was definitely required. I would suggest that you use the search feature of the boards to look for previous threads covering the topic you want. While the feature is not real user friendly, and not totally useful, it will point you to some previous posts on your topic, and keep you from getting comments about how a subject has been beaten to death, as vast quantities of information, opinion, myth and truth are stored on these boards.

While nana's definition of a closed loop cruise is nearly correct, you must add that all ports must be in the western hemisphere , and while I know that doesn't apply to your upcoming cruise, it is an important distinction, because the regulation allowing cruising on your BC and ID is the WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative).

Hi chengkp75. I usually think that your responses are well done and correct, however I believe the highlighted portion of your response is overly harsh. The poster you are referring to is Australian and for him, and all non US citizens, the information is correct.

The OP does not mention where he is from, so the information may be correct for him as well.

Apologies to ab2010.

However, they should have qualified their answer, with "it may be different where you live" or similar.

Because the OP mentioned the birth certificate, that was my clue that they were in the US, since all the cruise lines' sites, all travel agents, and all government sites will state that this is true only for US citizens.

Along those lines, I do think the First Time Cruisers forum is one place it's a little harsh to just reply with a version of "Do a search; it's already been covered." They're often totally new to messageboards too.

Along those lines, I do think the First Time Cruisers forum is one place it's a little harsh to just reply with a version of "Do a search; it's already been covered." They're often totally new to messageboards too.

Gosh I don't think I said that....I agree I hate that one liner, newbies don't know how to search....

And certainly don't know that a subject has been beat to death on a weekly basis :)

So OP, ASK YOU QUESTIONS, but keep researching the answers given. Your fellow cruisers are full of good info and advice ...... But

Don't believe all we tell you, check the important things out yourself. Cruise Critic is a great place to start as I think you are finding out!

Edited by nana541