Cheers Now has a 15 Drink Limit

MrPete

So after all the back and forth, it has been announced there is an official limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per 24 hour period.

Carry on. Literally.

Is it a 15 a day limit or is it 15 drinks a day is what is included with the program? In other words if someone had 15 drinks could they then buy number 16 if they were still in shape do to so? From a profit stand point it would make sense to have an upper limit of how many drinks are included per day.

Is it a 15 a day limit or is it 15 drinks a day is what is included with the program? In other words if someone had 15 drinks could they then buy number 16 if they were still in shape do to so? From a profit stand point it would make sense to have an upper limit of how many drinks are included per day.

The answer will either be YES, or NO. Then it wil be changed. Then it will be challenged, and reinforced, then changed. Then the term DRINKS will be redefined. Then it will either be YES, or NO. Then profits will be analysed, and it will be changed. Then the whole program will be taken out of print. And then will be discontinued due to lack of interest.

Ridiculous.

I have a hard time understanding how someone could drink that many drinks in a day (as I'm mainly a nondrinker, especially during cruises), but as someone pointed out, you could have one drink an hour and probably never get drunk, so that's at least 24. Okay, so you're sleeping during some of that time, so we'll cut this back down to 16. Then double that to two drinks during a waking hour, so you're up to 32.

I think Carnival is realizing that the only people buying this are the ones who could easily push up against 15 or more a day, and they are losing money on it. Because they'd be losing money, Carnival may decide to cancel it because there is little interest in it (little interest meaning little interest with the board/stock holders in losing money, not little interest with the cruisers).

Ridiculous.

I have a hard time understanding how someone could drink that many drinks in a day (as I'm mainly a nondrinker, especially during cruises), but as someone pointed out, you could have one drink an hour and probably never get drunk, so that's at least 24. Okay, so you're sleeping during some of that time, so we'll cut this back down to 16. Then double that to two drinks during a waking hour, so you're up to 32.

I think Carnival is realizing that the only people buying this are the ones who could easily push up against 15 or more a day, and they are losing money on it. Because they'd be losing money, Carnival may decide to cancel it because there is little interest in it (little interest meaning little interest with the board/stock holders in losing money, not little interest with the cruisers).

Or the forcing of all members of the room to purchase, although I'm sure there are couples that could outdrink each other.

And yet, there's a way around that now as well, by just booking the drinkers together in one room, and the non drinkers in the other(s).

I would love to know how many people per cruise buy this plan when it is offered. CCL has probably already realized that it isn't as profitable as they first thought - therefore putting in a hard limit on drinks.

Or the forcing of all members of the room to purchase, although I'm sure there are couples that could outdrink each other.

And yet, there's a way around that now as well, by just booking the drinkers together in one room, and the non drinkers in the other(s).

I thought that was the rule now, that everyone over 21 in the same cabin had to buy the program?

I thought that was always part of the rules, that everyone in the cabin had to buy the program to ensure no drink sharing.

As I said, I'm mostly a nondrinker, but I would have been willing to buy this program for one day if they would have allowed it (which they don't), but again, my wife is even less of a drinker than I am, so it would make no sense to buy this for even one day because I'd essentially be charged double.

As a result, I will stick to my general drinking--which is to say, MAYBE one paid drink for the cruise. So sorry Carnival, your policy with this has obviously cost you money when it comes to me.

The 15 drink rule makes sense to me. I can see these little spring breakers buying their friends drinks with this program, so they had to make a cut off point for that reason and so people don't go overboard (no pun intended lol). I am going to purchase Cheers on my up coming cruise not because I intend to get wasted but simply I want to enjoy having a few cocktails and not to worry about cost. I probably wont ever make it to 15.

That would never be a problem for us- DW and I are always in the same cabin:D.

LOL. No one is saying you have to stay in those cabins. I guess you're unfamiliar with the switcheroo when people would try to book their kids in their own cabins.

The 15 drink rule makes sense to me. I can see these little spring breakers buying their friends drinks with this program, so they had to make a cut off point for that reason and so people don't go overboard (no pun intended lol). I am going to purchase Cheers on my up coming cruise not because I intend to get wasted but simply I want to enjoy having a few cocktails and not to worry about cost. I probably wont ever make it to 15.

That's why that ficticious 15 limit never made sense when they said they would cut you off with sobriety in mind. I always thought the opposite. It was like they said they would give you #16 if you could "walk the straight line".

BS

I figured if you hit 15 and were still standing, it was the indicator to them that you were "buying" others drinks.

Not just spring breakers. There are a few on this board that bragged about it , sharing it with the spouse. Goes to show you Carnvial reads these boards.

I was wondering if it would work if I went with another couple in different rooms, they buy I don't, we split the cost and split the drinks, they would have to be the one going up to the bar each time. Think it would work?? I know you can't always watch where people go with their drinks once they leave the bar. That's how my husband bought my 20 yr old son some beer.

I was wondering if it would work if I went with another couple in different rooms, they buy I don't, we split the cost and split the drinks, they would have to be the one going up to the bar each time. Think it would work?? I know you can't always watch where people go with their drinks once they leave the bar. That's how my husband bought my 20 yr old son some beer.

Posts like these are one of the reasons the program has been changed.

Not to mention Spring Break and Dad and Moms credit cards .

Fun For All is gonna be a expensive Free for All .

The Party Ship image has returned!

NCL will suspend their drink program during Spring Break (they probably figure they wouldn't make a profit on it then), I wonder if CCL will follow suit?

LOL. No one is saying you have to stay in those cabins. I guess you're unfamiliar with the switcheroo when people would try to book their kids in their own cabins.

Oh, I am familiar with it but don't anticipate having to use it again.

I'm guessing that they figured out that after 15 drinks there is no profit, thus the cut-off!

Back of the envelope math would seem to support this. Assume that it takes 6 mixed drinks a day to break even (not top self stuff) justifying your cost for the Cheers sticker on your S&S; or 8 bottom shelf beers. Skip gratutities for the moment. Assume a 20% profit margin (could be lower or higher). Buying without cheers, CCL gets $1.39 per drink (99cents per beer). So at 15 drinks CCL's margin drops to 55 cents (53 cents for beers). That's a drop from 20% to around 8%. Now look at the waitstaff. Buy 6 drinks with or without the card and the waitstaff gets $6.44 in gratuities ($5.94 on the beer). 15 drinks at reg prices would yield $15.64 in tips ($11.14 for beers) so the waitstaff loses 2.4X the $ in tips. Big hit for those folks.

Thus cheers participants should at least Tip more to waitstaff/bartenders, especially if they're mostly the same persons.

Archived