Indian food on NCL?

LMaxwell

Is Indian food offered anywhere on NCL ships? Buffet? Select options in MDR?

While I haven't confirmed personally (first cruise sails tomorrow), I've heard from numerous sources that the Norwegian buffets have an Indian section.

Also, when I called to tell Norwegian I preferred a vegetarian diet, they asked if I was an "Indian vegetarian." So the fact that they are calling it that rather than, say, a Hindu diet (lacto vegetarian) implies to me that they commonly offer Indian vegetarian options.

On the Spirit this time they generally had a meat, seafood, veg "curry", and the odd side (bombay pots etc) at lunch and dinner. The chicken curry should have been called bone curry though - if you are used to good proper Indian food you might not be that impressed. On the Epic they generally had a few Indian options. Sadly I don't know of any ship that has an actual Indian restaurant - now that's a dining option I would have paid for :D

Indian food was always offered in the buffet on the Jewel. I eat the various dishes every night as I love the spices and taste.

Did not see Indian food in MDR. That is one reason why I only eat in the buffet.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by thescot123

Buffet has vegie Indian and it is actually quite good.

As mentioned they also have the Indian lunch which has a broad range of dishes

They can do decent Indian as they have Indian chefs but getting it is harder in the MDR, you could try a special request.

For Cloudyrain that asked about cruise line with Indian speciality

P&O have Indian celebrity chef restaurant by Atul Kochhar

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-experience/dining/

http://cdn.images.pocruises.com/Global/menus/1/1/sindhu_example_1.pdf

http://cdn.images.pocruises.com/Global/menus/1/1/sindhu_example_2.pdf

As I recall..the Jewel showcased Indian fare with the Chinese food..in the center floor area of the buffet --it was VERY good..(ps..not strictly vegetarian..some days with meat)

On the Gem...I could not find it..but was directed to a small space next to the Chinese food..along the wall next to grill area....(it was not as good as on the Jewel)...

When I was on the Pearl 3 yrs ago, I had an Indian waiter in MDR and he saw my bottles of hot sauce that I bring to every meal. I said I really like spicy food especially Indian or Thai and was disappointed at lack of options on Menu. He went away and came back and asked if I would like some special made for dinner tomorrow...I said sure...it was delicious

Twice on the Star they featured an Indian Buffet Special Lunch on a Sea Day. It was delicious! I think it was called A Taste of India!

The Taste of India went away a few years ago. I was really sad when it happened. We did manage to get our very own "special" Taste of India meal on our Star cruise thanks to our cc m&g with the staff. :D

On another note, I didn't realize that they had any Indian food at the buffets. I will definitely be looking for some next week. Is it only on a certain day? Will it say something in the dailies? How will you know when they are having it?

The Taste of India went away a few years ago. I was really sad when it happened. We did manage to get our very own "special" Taste of India meal on our Star cruise thanks to our cc m&g with the staff. :D

On another note, I didn't realize that they had any Indian food at the buffets. I will definitely be looking for some next week. Is it only on a certain day? Will it say something in the dailies? How will you know when they are having it?

There is Indian food every night in the buffer on the Jewel. It is setup on one of the buffet islands. It is very tasty and something I enjoyed every night.

Enjoy the Jewel, I will back on her the week after you get off. Will be taking my first Xmas cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by thescot123

On the Epic, it was every day at lunch.

• 2 months later...

I've been on Epic twice and Pearl once. In BOTH lunch & dinner buffet's a small section always has Indian food. They almost always had one veggie lentils item(my personal favorite), one veggie curry, one meat curry (Chicken, beef), basmati rice, papad, pickle, and yogurt sauce. I usually try to get creative and pick something like fish and chips and go to Indian station and put the sauce from meat curry on my fish.

But the best india food is to ask for it in MDR. You can ask them whatever you want and they make it. We Specified the dinner times and we asked for Hyderabadi chicken biryani, lentils soup, and few veggies dishes and they always had it ready and even reserved the tables for us. They timed it so perfect that our food almost came within minutes. Surprisingly. the food special ordered was better than what we got in many Indian restaurants in DC Metro area. (In case the images don't load, link to my Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitsva/sets/72157640793502003/with/12441886185/ )

At buffet

12442361824_d3370d22ec_b.jpg

12441886885_b9917c6ed5_b.jpg

12442027203_835388d2f9_b.jpg

MDR - Hyderabadi chicken Biryani

12441886185_036d3e1863_b.jpg

Edited by kitsVA

I've been on Epic twice and Pearl once. In BOTH lunch & dinner buffet's a small section always has Indian food. They almost always had one veggie lentils item(my personal favorite), one veggie curry, one meat curry (Chicken, beef), basmati rice, papad, pickle, and yogurt sauce. I usually try to get creative and pick something like fish and chips and go to Indian station and put the sauce from meat curry on my fish.

But the best india food is to ask for it in MDR. You can ask them whatever you want and they make it. We Specified the dinner times and we asked for Hyderabadi chicken biryani, lentils soup, and few veggies dishes and they always had it ready and even reserved the tables for us. They timed it so perfect that our food almost came within minutes. Surprisingly. the food special ordered was better than what we got in many Indian restaurants in DC Metro area. (In case the images don't load, link to my Flicker

The Epic never had any meat dishes at lunch on the buffet. Maybe for dinner (which i did not try) but not for lunch.

The Jewel really does a nice job..showcasing the Indian food...at one of the "islands"---at the buffet.....the quality was great..I enjoyed in very much....Not as happy with it on the Gem...just not as good at all....

and thanks to the poster who mentioned ordering it in the MDR..I never would have thought of that...;)

In the buffet on the Star I'd skip the first section which was mostly meat, potatoes and American comfort food and I'd go to the next section which had Indian and Oriental food.

There was an Indian and Asian station in the buffet on the Gem and the Jewel. While there was a curry shrimp selection in the MDR one evening, I would not say that was typical Indian cuisine.

We had the curry shrimp last year on the Star. It was completely lacking in flavor of any kind. I could not believe they called it curry.