Worst part of flying to your cruise port?

What's the worst part of flying to your cruise port?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What's the worst part of flying to your cruise port?

• TSA screening
    • Waiting in the terminal
    • Flight itself
    • Baggage claim

Hmm, it seems like "baggage claim" got the lowest number of votes for "worst part of flying". I guess I consider the anxiety factor of my bag not showing up to be worse than the hassle/boredom/discomfort of the other three. Just knowing that I'm going on a cruise make those things feel like no big deal, plus a beer on the plane (which has a much stronger effect at high altitudes) makes the flight feel kind of relaxing. Although, the app Delta provides is supposed to reduce the anxiety factor of baggage claim (credit to FlyerTalker for sharing it). That's great thing to keep in mind, especially if other airlines have the equivalent.

By the way, there's a reason I hate baggage claim. One time, my bag not only came out last, but also damaged. The airline that did this was American Airlines.

8673354175_28e8e7e8f0.jpg

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

There is nothing I like about flying.

The security (although I do understand the need for it) keeps me in line too long with a bunch of rude people.

Then they cram you in to the plane like you are a bunch of sardines.

Most of the time, the flight attendants are rude.

The service (cokes, peanuts, meals) are non-existent.

After the flight, you are herded to the mob scene known as baggage claim.

I gave up flying years ago whenever possible. I'd rather drive several days than take a flight.

(The above is only my opinion of US carriers. I did fly to Korea a few years ago. The US flagged portion was horrible. The Korean flagged portion was what flying was like in the early 80's - good service, snacks, meals, comfort, etc.)

We also hate flying.

First we have to drive to a hotel near our airport for the first flight the next morning. Then we have to hope that the plane doesn't have any mechanical issues (we have had that happen and everything was a mess after that). We grab a bite of breakfast. Onto the first flight. Land and wait anywhere from 2 - 3 hours for the second flight and hope all goes weel (again we have encountered problems). Land and wait for luggage. Spends a couple of days in the pre-cruise hotel.

Com,ing home is no different. At the end of the cruise have to nstay in a hotel for an early flight the next morning. Two flights later we are at our home airport. Have to stay at a hotel before driving home the next day.

Don't assume that just because people live in Florida, they don't have to fly to embarkation ports!!

The majority of my cruises begin far from FL, whether it be the west coast of the US, somewhere in Europe, or South America. Even if it starts in FLL, flying is involved because I am not interested in driving to So FL and leaving my vehicle sitting there while I'm off cruising. I'd much rather hop a SWA flight and be there in an hour!!

My biggest issue with flying is worrying about all the what-ifs ...... about flights being on time, that weather might interfere, that my connections will take place without a hitch, and the biggie ..... did my checked bag make the connection with me?.

I guess I have little faith in the airlines to perform as they should .

While the pre-cruise day may be simply boring in the worst case, flying is almost always unpleasant. But what's the worst part of flying? Respond to the poll and post your comments. (Assume, for the purpose of this thread, that you do have checked bags.)

I'll start with my own. I say it's the baggage claim. When you're standing there waiting for your bag, there's always that possibility that your bag won't show up. And you're left worrying until it actually does show up.

I disagree with the first premise. Flying isn't unpleasant, it's just boring. The worst part of it (not featured in your poll) is crashing.

As for worrying about luggage, why? If you're going to worry about things that probably aren't going to happen, why not spend your holiday worrying that you might be burgled? Surely that's a more satisfying worry.

At 5'11" with long legs, it is the flight itself that is an issue for me. Entirely too uncomfortable. We have never had luggage lost and waiting is just a fact of life. At least while waiting in line for TSA or at the terminal, I can move.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Forums mobile app

TSA eh, some more pleasant experiences than others, well, truly none are what I'd call pleasant, but unavoidable at this time. Waiting in the terminal is usually boring for the most part, boarding is a pain, the flight itself I don't mind.

What I don't care for is the wasted day traveling home from a cruise. Can't get a plane till late morning, not home till late in the day. vs cruising from NYC where I am home by 10am the latest.

I'm 6-2 so seating is one of my pet peeves. If you want to sit in an emergency exit seat you have to pay extra for that. Another thing is people and their carry on's which are getting bigger & bigger and more of them. If you get on at the end of the line by the time you get to your seat there is no more space left in the over head. They should enforce the number & seize of peoples carry on bags.

Allan

1)TSA: wait in line with clueless people to get groped by someone with poor sanitary awareness who was hired because they got fired from Mickey Ds. Does NOTHING for safety - just a dog and pony show to appease the mindless "anything for safety" sheeple.

2)Boarding flight: everyone thinks they deserve pre-boarding because a)they have a 16 year old with them b)they need "extra" time so they can board early to miraculously be cured in-flight c)mom, dad and their 6 kids need to grab seats together because they didn't get them reserved together d)ladies with their 22.5" carryon AND their equally large "tote bag" that is their "personal item", e)clueless people who don't understand that their bags should be carried IN FRONT of them down the aisle, not on their shoulders or to their side, f)people who insist on putting their roller bag in the overhead SIDEWAYS, g) people who insist on putting EVERYTHING they brought on-board into the overhead instead of putting some under the seat in front of them.

3)In flight: a)the inevitable fight for the armrest, b)the obese person whose fat flows over into your seat, leaving you with half a seat, c) the unruly child whose parents have drunk themselves into a stupor and do nothing, d)the toddler flying next to you in the parent's lap because the parents were too cheap to buy a seat for the child and prefer him to be a human missile in case of turbulence, d) the parents who ask you to move from the aisle seat you reserved months in advance so their family can sit together AND offer your their middle seat in the middle row in the last row of the plane.

I don't sweat the baggage - I usually carry on. If I do check, I just patiently wait. The times I've had my bags delayed over the decades can be counted on one hand.

Edited by slidergirl

Unlike the lucky ones who live in Florida, as well as other cruise port locations, most of us have to fly to our cruise destination, and stay in a hotel the night before. While the pre-cruise day may be simply boring in the worst case, flying is almost always unpleasant. But what's the worst part of flying? Respond to the poll and post your comments. (Assume, for the purpose of this thread, that you do have checked bags.)

I'll start with my own. I say it's the baggage claim. When you're standing there waiting for your bag, there's always that possibility that your bag won't show up. And you're left worrying until it actually does show up. If not, you have no good outfits for your cruise, or at least your pre-cruise day and some port days are filled with clothes shopping, and not the fun kind, either. Not saying other poll options are nice; heck, TSA can be very surly in some airports, although ORD tends to be middle-of-the-road. But I find the baggage claim the most unpleasant of all.

Oh lord yes!! The baggage claim is the most god awful part!!!

I've been the person with my head held low about to cry because my luggage didn't show up.

Now I do my best to fly direct if I can on pre cruise flights. I feel like that's all I can do to help the airlines get my luggage there. I also get there in plenty of time and do not rush. I never cut it close with checking in for my flight. That way something would have had to of gone horribly wrong for my luggage to have not made it.

In the airlines defense, the time my luggage didn't make it, I only had about 30 minutes of a layover in detroit. Probably not enough. I think it just didn't make it because it didn't have time. It's really not their fault.

OP- you should try flying direct with Southwest out of Midway. I saw you were from the Chicago area. They have made me enjoy flying again!!

All of the above, plus getting up at 3am to get to the airport -- and tossing and turning for those few hours, fearing that the alarm clocks won't ring.

Actually, packing under 50 pounds has never been a problem, as we don't take any electronics. Even with 12 pairs of shoes, 14 dresses, etc. etc., I usually weigh in with about 32 pounds.

I agree that they need to start enforcing the number of carry-ons one and the size.

Sort of off topic, but I also get so annoyed at people who ignore the fasten seat belt signs and/or don't keep them on while seated. I swear if anyone ever falls on me because of their arrogance I am going to sue them for every cent they have.

I agree that they need to start enforcing the number of carry-ons one and the size.

Sort of off topic, but I also get so annoyed at people who ignore the fasten seat belt signs and/or don't keep them on while seated. I swear if anyone ever falls on me because of their arrogance I am going to sue them for every cent they have.

In my experience if the fasten seat belt signs come on during a flight, usually the flight attendants go through the plane and check it. :confused:

I always wear the seat belt anyway but I think if the fasten seat belt sign is not switched on, it is one's personal choice?

It's just so much easier to drive. You drive. . .viola you're there. You disembark; you get in the car & viola were were always home at least 1/2 hour before the earliest flight we would have booked was even taking off.

We're flying to our next cruise. Afterwards I imagine I'll be annoyed again & we'll sail from NYC some more until I get bored of the itinerary again.

In my experience if the fasten seat belt signs come on during a flight, usually the flight attendants go through the plane and check it. :confused:

I always wear the seat belt anyway but I think if the fasten seat belt sign is not switched on, it is one's personal choice?

What I have been seeing are people ignoring the sign, going to the restroom, standing in the aisle, getting things out of their stowed carry-ons. The flight attendants come on the PA, make a comment about the sign being on, but then not doing anything about it. This is on Southwest. We haven't flown any other airline recently.

Wearing your seatbelt while seated is the only way to prevent yourself from being thrown around or even hitting the ceiling in the event of unexpected turbulence or an air pocket.

You forgot something, which would be my choice: The Cost.

I'm a Trusted Traveler, so security isn't a big deal. Waiting in the airport is easy - I've got enough things to keep myself entertained for hours, if need be. Luggage? I don't worry about it - just a little more waiting (see previous answer about waiting). The flight itself? Flying is fine, but I choose my flights carefully. Again, I've got entertainment options to keep myself occupied if I'm not sleeping. But the cost? Ouch - getting to the vacation (i.e. the cruise) can cost more than the vacation itself.

I agree. I can put up with all the rest but the cost is what stops me from travelling more than I do.

tigercat

It is amazing how the airline industry has taken what use to be a reasonably enjoyable experience some 25+ years ago and made it a miserable experience and is only tolerable, if you have a flight that is not more than 5 hours in length. I can remember looking forward to flying at one time, haven't felt like that for sometimes.

I said baggage claim because we've had a few lost bags. I've had several back surgeries and end up in a lot of pain if I lug around a carryon, so I check everything. The others don't bother me much.

What would be number one for me for worst part would be cancelled and delayed flights. Our last cruise, our flight was cancelled and there were no alternatives as it was a major holiday. We ended up driving (definitely speeding) to San Francisco and barely made our connecting flight. If we'd lived any further away, we would have missed our cruise...and we did fly the day before.

Then when we arrived, our luggage didn't make it. The cruise was awesome though, so definitely worth it!

Edited by NoobCruise

What I have been seeing are people ignoring the sign, going to the restroom, standing in the aisle, getting things out of their stowed carry-ons. The flight attendants come on the PA, make a comment about the sign being on, but then not doing anything about it. This is on Southwest. We haven't flown any other airline recently.

Wearing your seatbelt while seated is the only way to prevent yourself from being thrown around or even hitting the ceiling in the event of unexpected turbulence or an air pocket.

I remember last year flying back from Gran Canaria into London Gatwick. We landed and as you know the fast seat belt signs remain on until the gate.

So the plane was still driving towards the gate when suddenly the pilot had to use the breaks for an emergency stop. We all were thrown forward and it was such a shock how quickly such a massive plane can come to a standstill.

You could hear a needle drop in the plane.

The captain announced after a couple of minutes that one of those cars who transport luggage drove straight across the plane.

This just shows how important it is to leave the seat belt on until it arrives at the gate and as you said unfortunately too many people ignore this warning.

:eek:

My vote was for baggage claim: I'd like to have baggage to claim upon arrival (not MIA); I'd like to claim dry bags on the ship (not those that went into the drink); and I'd like to claim bags in the cavernous port building when luggage valet isn't offered (others have claimed our heavily decorated bag). We've only experienced 2 out of 3, so I guess we're ahead of the game.

I voted for TSA and all that security stuff. It's just so unpleasant, and never the same way twice. Take your shoes off (or don't). Put your i-devices in plain sight in the plastic bin, or don't. Most recently we got called out loudly by the security people because we failed to understand that a tiny check-mark on the top of the ticket we printed out ourselves entitled us to bypass the security line up. Excuse me - we printed the ticket out ourselves - you don't think some whack-job could paste in a little check mark? And we got the royal doo-dah for standing in the wrong (more secure) line?

None of this makes sense to me. I recently had to throw out a cigarette lighter I had in my purse because I also had one in my pocket. One lighter good, two lighters bad?

Of course you can't ask about anything. If you do, you won't get on your flight. Punishment for daring to question authority.

I'm gonna go with the flight itself... since we live in New Zealand, it's a bazillion hours and another bazillion dollars to get anywhere. Our first cruise was this year from Rome, took 36 hours of travelling time. Each way. And cost $2500 each (return) - which was GOOD!

The part I hate worst is the TSA screening - not what the TSA does, what the other passengers do. Apparently a lot of folks come to the airport with no clue as to what is and is not allowed in carryon luggage and security screening procedures. They also don't think ahead - wear slip on shoes, don't wear a belt, don't have any liquids on your person, don't wear chunky metal jewelry, limit your carryons - just basic stuff that should be obvious and would speed their processing through security.