Denied boarding

shrifk

My son and his family were not allowed to board because they were about two minutes after the close boarding time. This was a 4 day Caribbean cruise leaving Tampa last Saturday, 12/20. The gangway was not removed and the doors were still opened. They were traveling from Orlando to Tampa and had to stop at a clinic because they thought their daughter might be coming down with an illness that turned out to be an alergy.They noticed that several ship's people were milling about.

Pleading with the ship or port people did not do any good.

Alas they did not take out insurance

Most likely they won't get any compensation from RC.

Any suggestions or contacts would be most helpful.

I am posting this on their behalf to see if there is anything or anybody they can contact to rebook this or another cruise and possibly plead their case.

My son and his family were not allowed to board because they were about two minutes after the close boarding time. This was a 4 day Caribbean cruise leaving Tampa last Saturday, 12/20. The gangway was not removed and the doors were still opened. They were traveling from Orlando to Tampa and had to stop at a clinic because they thought their daughter might be coming down with an illness that turned out to be an alergy.They noticed that several ship's people were milling about.

Pleading with the ship or port people did not do any good.

Alas they did not take out insurance

Most likely they won't get any compensation from RC.

Any suggestions or contacts would be most helpful.

I am posting this on their behalf to see if there is anything or anybody they can contact to rebook this or another cruise and possibly plead their case.

A deadline is a deadline. The cruisers' documents clearly state when they must be checked in. Past that, no cruise.

This is always sad when this happens. I hope your son saved the paperwork from the clinic showing they had an emergency stop that could not be avoided.

Maybe with that info rci will let them rebook, someone on here will give you the right # to call. Good luck

The cut off times for initial boarding are based upon giving the list of passengers to the Coast Guard and Homeland Security which must receive the list a certain time ahead of boarding so they had probably initiated the process by the time you turned up. They can be flexible when it comes to their own times if the ramp is still down but not so much with the Government ones.

Did they have their On Line Check in done 3 days prior? If not it moves the deadline time up by 90 minutes because they have to be cleared by Homeland Security/Customs/Coast Guard.

Again as what most others are saying, a deadline is a deadline. The Government bodies invloved are VERY strict and if people are late and they allow them to board it will cause a delay in sailing.

It is too bad they missed their Vacation, but each port has their own rules the ship must abide by. Even though it was health related, without insurance they are in a bit of a pickle. But, it wouldn't hurt for them to call and try to plead their case to RCCL. I mean, what can it hurt?

Edited by Firefighterhoop
Typo

I am sure everybody was disappointed. I feel bad most of all for the kids.

I don't think its fair to just say "hey that's just the way it is", or how can you screw something up like that.

We are all humans and things do happen. I sympathize with your son and family.

Even though contractually your son might might not be in a good position, it is my hope that he can convince RCL to let them sail on another cruise. The excuse if true does seem reasonable.

Maybe call RCL and tell them you were trying to do the right thing, instead of bringing a sick kid on the cruise and possibly infecting everybody else. Spin it.

Hope RCL gives them another cruise. Its not like they arent close by and cant get to another cruise that has openings on short notice.

Edited by DreamingBig1

I am sure everybody was disappointed. I feel bad most of all for the kids.

I don't think its fair to just say "hey that's just the way it is", or how can you screw something up like that.

We are all humans and things do happen. I sympathize with your son and family.

Even though contractually your son might might not be in a good position, it is my hope that he can convince RCL to let them sail on another cruise. The excuse if true does seem reasonable.

Maybe call RCL and tell them you were trying to do the right thing, instead of bringing a sick kid on the cruise and possibly infecting everybody else. Spin it.

Hope RCL gives them another cruise. Its not like they arent close by and cant get to another cruise that has openings on short notice.

OP, I really feel the disappointment especially for the children.

As DreamingBig1 said, I would go for the approach that you wanted to avoid to bring a sick child on board.

I would not go for the "2 minutes after boarding" approach as they might put their walls up and might get very defensive.

You posted such a nice post and only wanted advice, I think writing to customer service or speaking to them on the phone might be the best way to do it.

Whatever happens, I wish you and your family a happy xmas. :)

I would use the sick kids as someone else stated. You could always talk to RCI that you did not want to bring something on the ship that could be contagious and they may like that answer. On another not I always get insurance and recommend everyone does. Perfect example is that I have a cruise in January on Quantum of the seas. Well due to military work I may not be able to go but won't know until the last minute. the nice part of the insurance is if I can't go I only loose the insurance money and do not have to come out of pocket for the entire thing.

How sad.

I feel sorry for the family.

And

I will share this post with my family when they wonder why we leave so early for the airport..................or any timed event.

Anything can and will happen on occasion.

When I am looking forward to a vacation, especially so I will be there very early.

Sea Ya

So, they missed their cruise because they felt their child needed to see a doctor. That is sad. a delay to obtain medical care could happen to any of us.

One can certainly try the sick child card, presenting the clinic record to bolster the discussion. Still, by not buy insurance, they assumed all such risks themselves. maybe the cruise line will decide to do something for them, but they should not expect it.

I hope your grandchild is doing well now.

Would cruise insurance have covered this event? We have never opted in for the insurance but this might make us reconsider. There is always the chance of a last minute illness and we have always just taken our chances. Sorry you missed your cruise.

Depends on the terms and conditions of policy purchased . For example if the policy contained a " Cancel for Any Reason" clause which costs more than the average policy than perhaps yes.

Did they have their On Line Check in done 3 days prior? If not it moves the deadline time up by 90 minutes because they have to be cleared by Homeland Security/Customs/Coast Guard.

Again as what most others are saying, a deadline is a deadline. The Government bodies invloved are VERY strict and if people are late and they allow them to board it will cause a delay in sailing.

Everyone must be on board 90 minutes prior to departure no matter when they do their on-line check in. You can not print your SetSail Pass 3 days prior to departure.

It states on your SetSail Pass under "What to Expect at the Pier".....

NOTICE: Royal Caribbean International requires guests to be checked in no later than 90 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time*. Guests arriving late will not be permitted to sail. This supports government regulations in some ports that require cruise lines to submit a departure manifest 60 minutes prior to sailing. **Some sailings may require an earlier check-in time. Please refer to your Guest Vacation Documents for specific information.

So, they missed their cruise because they felt their child needed to see a doctor. That is sad. a delay to obtain medical care could happen to any of us.

One can certainly try the sick child card, presenting the clinic record to bolster the discussion. Still, by not buy insurance, they assumed all such risks themselves. maybe the cruise line will decide to do something for them, but they should not expect it.

I hope your grandchild is doing well now.

While I sympathize with the family, playing the sick card is not likely to elicit a favorable outcome, given that the cruise line can deny boarding if they put the information that they had just come from a clinic because they thought their child was ill on their health forms.

It is too bad they missed their Vacation, but each port has their own rules the ship must abide by. Even though it was health related, without insurance they are in a bit of a pickle. But, it wouldn't hurt for them to call and try to plead their case to RCCL. I mean, what can it hurt?

Where did you get the information that pier check-in deadline moves up to 90 minutes if the individual did not do the On-Line check in 3 days priors.? RCCL's website clearly states the following and here's the link to check the website http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=2685&faqSubjectId=328&faqSubjectName=Online+Check-In&faqType=faq .

Royal Caribbean International requires guests to be checked in
no later than 60 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time
Guests arriving late will not be permitted to sail.
This supports government regulations in some ports that require cruise lines to submit a departure manifest 60 minutes prior to sailing. Guests are requested to complete Online Check-In no later than 3 days prior to the cruise in order to expedite the pier check-in process.

*Some sailings may require an earlier check-in time. Please refer to your Guest Vacation Documents for specific information.