Swimming With Turtles: Water Depth??

kicker

Checked out some of the threads here but couldn't find an answer to this. Our 6 yr old DGd will be with us; I know she'd love the turtle swim/snorkel, but DW is afraid of the water depth (DGD can swim, but living in Central NY we don't get to swim often enough).

My snorkeling experiences: don't think I ever snorkeled on any excursion where water was more than ten feet or so; I assume it might be like that with the turtles (but it also might be deeper). All answers appreciated. Thanks.

Can't say for sure but it's a lot deeper than 10'. You can google the wreck of the Berwin and see how deep that is, the area for the turtles is very close by.

If you're using an excursion like Calabaza, Silvermoon, etc, they all have floatation devices for the passengers to use, some even require it.

Agree, much deeper than 10 feet, you are quite a ways from shore, in the open ocean

Only you can decide on your and the child's comfort level, but know that if you decide it is too risky for her, there is a very good chance that she can get a look at a turtle or 2 from on the boat when they surface for food.

They are like cats: their interest in you is directly related to what you will feed them☺️.

After the initial rush when everyone jumps in to see them and it's a little hectic, they will swim around, looking for more chum. If you stay in the boat, the wrangler can coax them closer for you to see.

Thank you both for the answers (I love CC for all the help you get on here!). My guess at this point is we won't snorkel. With a lifejacket and me next to her, I wouldn't worry about ten feet, but deeper would definitely scare my wife!:o

We did Grand Cayman two years ago, and our DGD got to hold turtles and see them. Swimming with them would be great, but not worth even the minimal risk. Thanks again.

I think our boat, Elegance, had us in 20 feet of water for the turtles and 30+ feet at the shipwrecks, but the crew was great.

In addition to the captain, there were two mates who took care of the guests, including swimming with us. We had three kids in our group (ages 12, 9 and 5) and one of them was with them constantly, towing them on a float. My mother-in-law was a little timid at first, too, but the second mate spent time with her.

Everyone got to snorkel and had a great time on the trip.

I assume most boats are used to non-swimmers, have life vests/flotation devices and fins.

I can't speak for you specifically, but I am sure they will do whatever it takes to make your trip enjoyable for all.

Can't say for sure but it's a lot deeper than 10'. You can google the wreck of the Berwin and see how deep that is, the area for the turtles is very close by.

If you're using an excursion like Calabaza, Silvermoon, etc, they all have flotation devices for the passengers to use, some even require it.

I wish I could do a better job snorkeling/swimming also. If I wear the vest you are stuck at the top right ?

I always get salt water in my mouth and it doesn't agree with me. Any tips?

I wish I could do a better job snorkeling/swimming also. If I wear the vest you are stuck at the top right ?

I always get salt water in my mouth and it doesn't agree with me. Any tips?

If you are using the floatation vests, you will find it difficult to go underwater. Good news/bad news depending on what you are trying to do. :D

If you get salt water in your mouth, spit it out. It is almost unavoidable unless you are an experienced snorkeler/diver. Keep a little air in your lungs while breathing through the snorkel, that way if you get water in the snorkel, you can blow out forcefully and clear it. Otherwise, lift your head out of the water, drain the snorkel and then get back to watching the fishies.

Best thing to do is just keep spitting the salt water out. Don't swallow it and then rinse your mouth liberally with the rum punch when you get back on the boat (then swallow, don't spit) ;)

ken

If you can't touch the bottom what does it matter if it's 10 feet or 50 feet?

Very true! :D

Happily, to see and interact with the sea turtles just getting into the water with a lifejacket and looking down with a swim mask is fine.

Note: Non-swimmers need to have someone who can swim with them while doing this.

LuLu

• 3 weeks later...

We had a 5 year old with us and he had his life vest on and at first tried the snorkel but settled for holding his breath. He got to see tons of turtles. He is also a huge pirate lover so he absolutely loved seeing the sunken ships. Our excursion (calabaza) also had a ton of noodles to assist with staying afloat.

We had a 5 year old with us and he had his life vest on and at first tried the snorkel but settled for holding his breath. He got to see tons of turtles. He is also a huge pirate lover so he absolutely loved seeing the sunken ships. Our excursion (calabaza) also had a ton of noodles to assist with staying afloat.

Hi AtlantaAlly- I am debating going with Calabaza for a cruise in December. How did you like it? Was the experience worth it? Do you stop at a beach or is there one close by? Thanks!!

It's having the boat as a base that is nice but really the turtles at not far offshore at Piane's bay and lone star and Carlisle bay but the boat cruise and drinks is good but you don't need a fancy boat with a bunch of people you don't know clk out Barbados skipper Vance tours