Gay Dot Com Article about Atlantis Mexican Riviera

pennstatefan

I have cruised with Atlantis twice and thought the review was great. I was on the Radiance that week and had a blast. While the piece may not be as in depth as some would like it's better than anything I could write.

I especially like the part about how the writer and his boyfriend are not big club people at home but loved the dances on the ship. They are so magically different at sea with 2000+ GL folks!

I have talked up Atlantis to all my friends but many remain skeptical. It's hard to explain but I think everybody should try an Atlantis/RSVP/Olivia cruise at least once. They are the best in my book.

-Chris in DC

• 3 weeks later...

I still cant bring myself to book one of these cruises. I guess the main reason is that I cant get over the feeling that I am being taken advantage of. The prices of these gay cruises is much higher than a regular cruise.

How could it possibly cost more? :confused:

I still cant bring myself to book one of these cruises. I guess the main reason is that I cant get over the feeling that I am being taken advantage of. The prices of these gay cruises is much higher than a regular cruise.

How could it possibly cost more? :confused:

The reason gay and lesbian cruises cost more is because they have to pay upfront for all the cabins and they bring their own staff and entertainment onboard, which costs more. Even with all that I still think that they should cost a bit less than they do.

The reason gay and lesbian cruises cost more is because they have to pay upfront for all the cabins and they bring their own staff and entertainment onboard, which costs more. Even with all that I still think that they should cost a bit less than they do.

Their own staff and entertainement hu?

Personally I am happy with the staff thats already onboard. And as far as the entertainment...how much are these "girls" charging to put on drag shows now? :confused:

We too were on the Atlantis cruise in Oct and I can only say good things about how Team Atlantis handles events. . I also refrain from dancing in my hometown, but feel totally free to do as I please at a Atlantis party. The crew was great and I felt right at home on Radiance. I was quite disappointed in the entertainment onboard and would make some MAJOR changes to the lineup. I also was not to impressed with the "big city DJs" and their ability to play good music, just my humble opionion here. I traveled 3000 miles for that cruise, we were one tired couple leaving that ship. I can honestly say I was meeting great guys even after 8 great nights onboard, thats why we are going back to do it all over again in in Oct 06. A floating bathhouse, I don't think so, its more like one big gay bar with all the lights turned on and plenty of food to eat! Team Atlantis, for all its faults, does a very good job ...I feel great about giving them my vacation dollars! BLS

Their own staff and entertainement hu?

Personally I am happy with the staff thats already onboard. And as far as the entertainment...how much are these "girls" charging to put on drag shows now? :confused:

It's really so much more than that! I would describe a gay cruise as "living at the heart of gay pride 24/7 for a week." The headliners on my RSVP trip were Lorna Luft and Leslie Jordan, and I'm sure they do not come cheap! Plus there are really lavish meet-and-mingle/dance parties pretty much every day. The gay company staff is there to make sure everything goes smoothly with all the planned events (games, contests, parties, entertainers) and make sure everybody is having a good time, and they usually do an excellent job.

I wouldn't sail exclusively on gay cruises, but I agree with Chris: everybody should try one at least once. The atmosphere alone is out of this world.

The atmosphere alone is out of this world.

The above so totally true but so hard to communicate to others. I sailed with Atlantis twice in '05, once as a pre 40th birthday present and the second time as a post 40th birthday present (and because I just had to do it again). To me it was worth every penny. And when I get nostalgic for the experience and the new friends made, I book another! Less than 60 days till the Infinity!

Just my opinion... I'm gay, life is short, and so is vacation time, so I go gay. PTown, SF, FTL and Atlantis.

-Chris in DC

• 2 weeks later...

My partner and I are having a hard time deciding weather or not to go on the Oct 06 Mexico Atlantis cruise on Serenade of the Seas or wait till March 07 to do a Atlantis carribbean cruise. We are in our mid 20's and early 30's. Any thoughts? We've gone on a str8 cruise on Celebrity Summit and really enjoyed it.

I would say wait till March 07 for the Caribbean. Based on history it should be on Celebrity. But I know nothing about you guys except that you live on the west coast and it looks like you have been to Mexico already.

Also, supposedly Atlantis is chartering the new Freedom of the Seas in January to the Caribbean but that hasn't been officially announced yet. You may want to consider that, or not.

3 weeks from now we should start to hear the 2007 details from guys returning form this year's Navigator cruise.

-Chris in DC

I've signed up for the Atlantis Mexican cruise in late October. This is going to be my 2nd gay cruise (previous one was Hawaii, 2005) with Atlantis, and have 3 land vacations with Atlantis as well.

I certainly don't balk at having to pay premium $ for an all gay cruise; I even have to pay double as I choose to travel alone.

I enjoyed my cruise to Mexico last October and all my concerns were washed down the drain very quickly. Mind you I like RSVP and was concerned that there might be too much attitude on an Atlantis cruise. I went out of my way to meet people, say hello and test the degree of Tude on board. Yes there were a few clics..but you have that on any cruise. I must admit the crew was fabulous and seemed totally into then atmosphere, much more so than on HAL with RSVP. The bar tenders in the atrium bar could snap a one liner back as fast as we could throw them out...what fun. Staff and Officers were out watching the dances and parties and could"dish" with the best of them.

As for Chris who posted above...every time I saw him he had the biggest smile on.....and always had a great big hello.

I am not pretty, and somewhere between 35 and the age of the pyramids...I do not live a party life, and usually go out with straight friends. Did I enjoy the cruise.....yes. I am sailing on the Rio cruise in 4 weeks and cant wait. I would have booked the Mexico cruise again for this October, but I must admit I prefer the Caribbean.Instead I booked a transAtlantic on Crystal to see what its all about. I will book a gay cruise for the Feb /March time frame in 2007 with either Atlantis or RSVP depending on ship and itinerary. Does it cost more......depending on the line no. As a single ,Royal caribbean normally charges 200% So I get stuck even on a straight cruise. Now its when sailing on a line like HAL that does not normally charge a 200% surcharge for a single...I get over charged by the gay charter company. I still sail straight mainstream cruises, but a gay cruise is so much more. I total endorse this type of vacation. Believe me, freedom always comes at a price......and you do not get this type of freedom on a mainstream cruise..regardless of whether you are newly out, closeted, flaming from birth or just a run of the mill person with nothing more than a gay sexual orientation.Ask any crew member on a ship the week after a gay cruise...they will tell you they miss the guys, the atmosphere, the smiles, the lack of complaining, the sights, sounds and happiness. nuff said.

Chris enjoy the trip, I will see you next year, but probably not on the Freedom..its too big a ship for me......I prefer something smaller like Celebrity.

To all of the skeptics....try it once, then decide. Neither my opinion nor anyone elses can convince you it is worth it...only first hand knowledge.

Rio bound Tom

I think we've decided to wait for a cruise in March 07, since (based on past atlantis cruises) it will likely be in the Caribbean and on a Celebrity ship. Celebrity ships are quite a bit nicer than RCCL, although, don't have anything bad to say about either. Celebrity just has that one foot ahead.

I think we've decided to wait for a cruise in March 07, since (based on past atlantis cruises) it will likely be in the Caribbean and on a Celebrity ship. Celebrity ships are quite a bit nicer than RCCL, although, don't have anything bad to say about either. Celebrity just has that one foot ahead.

While the 2007 schedule is not posted yet, Hawaii has been done almost every other year, and with the new "Pride of Hawaii" coming on-line soon, that's where I would place my bet for the March 2007 cruise. The Freedom in January is a done deal, if not formally announced. Rich has done March Caribbean cruises 2 years in a row now, and I suspect he might give that one a break. Especially after chartering the 4,000 pax Freedom.

The Pride of Hawaii is the sister to the NCL Jewel, and a complete new-build. It's very similar to the NCL Star, which Atlantis has chartered in Hawaii two times already, with great success.

Dont like NCL...but if there is a Hawaii I cruise...I am there.

At first the idea of the Freedom of the Seas interested me.....but when I thought of how huge the thing is and how many passengers......I think not. So lets hope for Hawaii.

I wish there could be a New Zealnd cruise so I could try some of the extreme sports there...such as bungee jumping.

Will call Atlantis in a bit to see if I can get any advance info.....I sent a query to RSVP to get some general info to see what they are doing.

Archived