Apps & Maps

DanL

I see there are quite a few city guide apps for my upcoming Baltic cruise (4 or 5 for CPH alone). Are there any that are favorites of yours?

There are also app maps but probably others online. Any favorites for maps or GPS apps?

I am using Android (Nexus 7) but could also include Apple to make of more interest to more people. The cities are Copenhagen, Tallinin, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Helsinki, Kiel & Warnemunde.

Appears for the smaller cities, maps will have to suffice.

I have found Shipmate app helpful on a previous HAL cruise.

Hopefully this sparks a good inf flow.

I see there are quite a few city guide apps for my upcoming Baltic cruise (4 or 5 for CPH alone). Are there any that are favorites of yours?

There are also app maps but probably others online. Any favorites for maps or GPS apps?

I am using Android (Nexus 7) but could also include Apple to make of more interest to more people. The cities are Copenhagen, Tallinin, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Helsinki, Kiel & Warnemunde.

Hi Dan

Interesting thread you have started. Should be helpful to those planning DIY itineraries in these specific ports of call! What I have found useful in mapping out my sites is the Tripomatic app. It is free for IPhone/IPad (possibly for Android devices as well) and I was able to put together all my DIYitineraries!:). I also found the Trip Advisor City Guides app and the In My Pocket app useful in providing info on specific sites. Both of these apps were free as well. For the overall organization of my trip (air/hotel/cruise/ground transportation) information/confirmation numbers I used the free app Tripit which I found very user friendly and useful as well. Thanks for starting this thread and hopefully others will provide great tips that will assist others as well! Enjoy your cruise! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Our newspaper had an article about e-books. It listed several websites for free or inexpensive books to download. One of the sites, Bookboon.com http://bookboon.com/, has free downloadable travel guides for many cities through out the world. We are going on the Crown in July and I found books for almost all the ports we will be visiting. They appear to be well written, reasonably current and are geared towards sightseeing rather then hotels and restaurants. For example the one for Gothenburg, Sweden offers 4 or 5 walking tours with the various sights explained.

Hope this helps you plan for your cruise.:D

<<<Karen>>>

If you plan on seeing Vasa, you can download their audio-tour guide in advance.

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/visit/mp3-guide/

Hi Dan

Interesting thread you have started. Should be helpful to those planning DIY itineraries in these specific ports of call! What I have found useful in mapping out my sites is the Tripomatic app. It is free for IPhone/IPad (possibly for Android devices as well) and I was able to put together all my DIYitineraries!:). I also found the Trip Advisor City Guides app and the In My Pocket app useful in providing info on specific sites. Both of these apps were free as well. For the overall organization of my trip (air/hotel/cruise/ground transportation) information/confirmation numbers I used the free app Tripit which I found very user friendly and useful as well. Thanks for starting this thread and hopefully others will provide great tips that will assist others as well! Enjoy your cruise! :)

Dolfans from Miami

I'm trying Tripit and it accepted hotel and flights easily. However when I forwarded Princess email it didn't input info. Do you have to include all confirmation and port info manually for cruises?

I'm trying Tripit and it accepted hotel and flights easily. However when I forwarded Princess email it didn't input info. Do you have to include all confirmation and port info manually for cruises?

If I recall correctly, my confirmation from Royal Caribbean was automatically uploaded into my itinerary. Maybe the upload feature is not compatible with Princess Cruises information. Anyway, the manual feature is easy enough to complete. This is how I inputed my ground transportation details. I like the convenience of having all my information in one area and the itinerary prints out very nice. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Another tip is I manually inputed each port of call/docking port/time in port and in the "notes" area I put any special instructions/confirmation info for lunches etc so it was all included on my itinerary. I am an "organizational fanatic" what can I say-lol! ;).

Dolfans from Miami

Evernote is wonderful for pasting in pages of advice from cruisecritic.om, maps, walking tours you may find on the Internet, etc. the possibilities are endless. You can then organize folders of info by port. You can even take pictures of things like your passport and store it...in case.

Some great tips, keep them coming.

It looks like citymaps2go is a winner especially with wiki. Thanks ncgolferette.

Tripit is ornery (Beta?) & I have to manually redo some things but great to have info all in one place.

Archived