Best way to do the Klondike Highway

travgurl

We will be in Skagway next summer. We are considering doing the Klondike highway, this seems like a good way to see a lot of the area. What are your recommendations to do this? Rent a car or book with a company, if so which one? Thanks!

We will be in Skagway next summer. We are considering doing the Klondike highway, this seems like a good way to see a lot of the area. What are your recommendations to do this? Rent a car or book with a company, if so which one? Thanks!

I would personally do it with tour company. The tout guide will explain and stop at good view points. You can do it by car , make sure you have a good guide to explain what your seeing. Also check your tolerance slow traffic and narrow mountainous roads You could combine a train ride with a bus tour to complete the circle. No matter which you do you'll require a passport to cross the Canada -US borders.

Edited by Kamloops50

I went with Dyea Dave, three times this year, and can highly recommend this company. The transportation is very comfortable, and the commentary excellent.

Driving yourself, can also be an excellent choice, with a first timer, I find it "necessary" to purchase Murray's Guide to enhance the trip. The mileposts are skimpy, so I suggest you set your trip milage when you start out to be able to match up with what you are seeing and where you are.

I think all options are good but the best one depends on you. for me, renting a car is the way to go because I am a "do it yourself" sort and it's also much cheaper. for many people a tour is best because they can just enjoy and not have to think about it too hard. I think both experiences give you similar sights and places to stop but the car lets you stop off more often.

We just retuned and rented a car. Rented through Avis. The roads were not bad at all. Very easy to drive and plenty of places to pull off so that the driver gets to see things as well. We bought Murray's Guide and I read it to the entire car and we learned a lot. We had done the train from Anchorage to Seward so really didn't think we needed to do it again.

We drove. Get Murray's Guide and enjoy. It iwas easy since we had great weather. We started out by 9:30 after the rush and had a great drive. The plan was to turn around at Emerald Lake, but we had time, so we drove right into Whitehorse.

Scenery was wonderful! .... and the price is right.

We drove. Get Murray's Guide and enjoy. It iwas easy since we had great weather. We started out by 9:30 after the rush and had a great drive. The plan was to turn around at Emerald Lake, but we had time, so we drove right into Whitehorse.

Scenery was wonderful! .... and the price is right.

Was it difficult to drive through Canadian border? Is there a line or anything that we should plan for that could cause any delays?

Thanks so much! I just decided on doing the drive down Klondike highway .. but a little worried about crossing the border :o

Was it difficult to drive through Canadian border? Is there a line or anything that we should plan for that could cause any delays?

Thanks so much! I just decided on doing the drive down Klondike highway .. but a little worried about crossing the border :o

Never cut your time so tight you can't be delayed. If you get behind a few buses, sure you will be delayed. You only need to have 5/6 hours for the drive, and port times, most always are way more than that.

The other issue is to have a clean passport. There was a recent denial of entry with someone having a DUI in 1968, happening this year.

Never cut your time so tight you can't be delayed. If you get behind a few buses, sure you will be delayed. You only need to have 5/6 hours for the drive, and port times, most always are way more than that.

The other issue is to have a clean passport. There was a recent denial of entry with someone having a DUI in 1968, happening this year.

Oh okay thanks! Do you happen to know if the DUI charges were dropped to wreckless driving, does that still mean my bf will be denied entry?

Thanks so much

Oh okay thanks! Do you happen to know if the DUI charges were dropped to wreckless driving' date=' does that still mean my bf will be denied entry?

Thanks so much[/quote']

I suggest you look at their web site for the specific information.

Personally I would go with a tour company. They know where to look for certain things, including wildlife, that you may not otherwise see. They can also fill you in on history items.

Edited by Hikini

We have decided to go with TNT tours (Trails of 98). They seem to be highly rated and have great reviews. We will just have to take the fast ferry from Haines to Skagway. I look at as an added bonus--additional excursion being on the ferry. I talked with the Skagway visitors center, they were very helpful with sharing information about the area. Actually, I have ordered a travel guide from each of the towns and ports we will be in while in Alaska. Thanks for your comments.