Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
- Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals
- Write a Norwegian Cruise Review
- Find Your Norwegian Roll Call
See posts about:
Norwegian Bliss
Norwegian Escape
Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Spirit

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Pearl
Norwegian Star

Norwegian Dawn
Norwegian Getaway
Pride of America
Norwegian Sun

Norwegian Epic
Norwegian Jade
Norwegian Sky

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:34 PM
WDBGUY WDBGUY is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Posts: 482
Default Cruises that start in NYC and end in Miami

Alot of New York area residents fly to Florida to get on a cruise and then fly back home. I know NCL goes out of NYC to the Bahamas round trip but not everyone wants to keep going to the sames destinations time after time.
Why don't any of the cruise lines have one way sailings so they can depart from NYC, make several stops in the caribbean and then end in Miami or Ft Lauderdale? then leave Miami/Ft Lauderdale and do the reverse and end in NYC. wouldn't there be a market for this kind of sailings? you could have different islands for the northbound and the southbound sailings so someone could do a 14 day back to back cruise from either Miami or NYC. people can spend time in NYC or Miami and then fly one way home. just a thought, I think they should test the waters on this one.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:42 PM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDBGUY View Post
Alot of New York area residents fly to Florida to get on a cruise and then fly back home. I know NCL goes out of NYC to the Bahamas round trip but not everyone wants to keep going to the sames destinations time after time.
Why don't any of the cruise lines have one way sailings so they can depart from NYC, make several stops in the caribbean and then end in Miami or Ft Lauderdale? then leave Miami/Ft Lauderdale and do the reverse and end in NYC. wouldn't there be a market for this kind of sailings? you could have different islands for the northbound and the southbound sailings so someone could do a 14 day back to back cruise from either Miami or NYC. people can spend time in NYC or Miami and then fly one way home. just a thought, I think they should test the waters on this one.

It can't be done. It would be a violation of the law...the Passenger Vessel Services Act. Foreign-flagged ships can not carry passengers between two US ports(meaning you can't embark at one US port and disembark at another) unless they also call at what is known as a distant foreign port.

Last edited by njhorseman; March 19th, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM
WDBGUY WDBGUY is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Posts: 482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhorseman View Post
It can't be done. It would be a violation of the law...the Passenger Vessel Services Act. Foreign-flagged ships can not carry passengers between two US ports(meaning you can't embark at one US port and disembark at another) unless they also call at what is known as a distant foreign port.
Doesn't stopping in the caribbean in between count as an foreign stop, what stops someone from getting on in NYC and getting off at Port Canaveral? which is the next stop.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:54 PM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDBGUY View Post
Doesn't stopping in the caribbean in between count as an foreign stop, what stops someone from getting on in NYC and getting off at Port Canaveral? which is the next stop.
The typical nearby ports like the Bahamas, St. Martin, etc. don't count. Without going back to look up the exact details, I can tell you the distant foreign ports are places like Aruba, etc...that are not considered to be in North America.

Under the law you can not embark in NY and disembark at Port Canaveral.

Last edited by njhorseman; March 19th, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:04 PM
johnql johnql is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 11,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDBGUY View Post
Doesn't stopping in the caribbean in between count as an foreign stop, what stops someone from getting on in NYC and getting off at Port Canaveral? which is the next stop.
You can get off but the cruise line (any cruise line, not just NCL) will be required by federal law to impose a penalty on you of $300 (I think) per person. BTW, this isn't pocketed by the cruise line; it goes to the federal government.

P.S. Here's a pretty good article that goes over all the details of the Passenger Services Act, sometimes mistakenly referred to as the Jones Act:

http://www.sealetter.com/Oct-99/alancol.html

Last edited by johnql; March 19th, 2010 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:21 PM
BruceMuzz BruceMuzz is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Shanghai, PRC / Sete, France
Posts: 3,480
Default

It is legally possible to have a one-way cruise from NYC to San Juan or St Thomas (with at least one stop in any other country) under the PVSA.

But unfortunately the higher airfares and hotel rates in these US Territories reduces demand for this type of cruise. Cruise lines typically only offer these cruises as repositioning trips once or twice a year.

It is also legally possible to have a cruise from NYC, ending in one of the non-USA Caribbean Islands.
But small airports, lack of hotel rooms, lack of flights, and prices of flights once again reduce demand and make this idea impractical and unprofitable.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:22 PM
sbt518's Avatar
sbt518 sbt518 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 485
Default

NCL has some cruises that go from Miami to NYC with stops in the Caribbean (maybe distant foreign ports, IDK)
I was looking at one on the Jewell 5/17/11 that is 11 days.
They call them Caribbean Escape or something like that on the website.

Here is a link to them, not sure if it will work
http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/destinatio...RN&duration=11

Last edited by sbt518; March 19th, 2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: link added
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:25 PM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnql View Post
You can get off but the cruise line (any cruise line, not just NCL) will be required by federal law to impose a penalty on you of $300 (I think) per person. BTW, this isn't pocketed by the cruise line; it goes to the federal government.

P.S. Here's a pretty good article that goes over all the details of the Passenger Services Act, sometimes mistakenly referred to as the Jones Act:

http://www.sealetter.com/Oct-99/alancol.html

It's one thing for a passenger here or there to disembark the ship in violation of the PVSA and incur the fine, but the OP was asking about a cruise line running scheduled itineraries where passengers embark in NY and disembark in FL, or vice versa. If a cruise line actually tried that the government would likely revoke their US port privileges as it would be an intentional and repeated violation of the law.

Last edited by njhorseman; March 19th, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt518 View Post
NCL has some cruises that go from Miami to NYC with stops in the Caribbean (maybe distant foreign ports, IDK)
I was looking at one on the Jewell 5/17/11 that is 11 days.
They call them Caribbean Escape or something like that on the website.

Here is a link to them, not sure if it will work
http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/destinatio...RN&duration=11

Yes...that cruise calls on Aruba and Curaco, and they are distant foreign ports under the law, so the cruise is permitted to start at one US port and end in another.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:32 PM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMuzz View Post
It is legally possible to have a one-way cruise from NYC to San Juan or St Thomas (with at least one stop in any other country) under the PVSA.

But unfortunately the higher airfares and hotel rates in these US Territories reduces demand for this type of cruise. Cruise lines typically only offer these cruises as repositioning trips once or twice a year.

It is also legally possible to have a cruise from NYC, ending in one of the non-USA Caribbean Islands.
But small airports, lack of hotel rooms, lack of flights, and prices of flights once again reduce demand and make this idea impractical and unprofitable.

And neither of those examples are what the OP asked about. He specifically asked about cruises starting In NY and ending in FL or vice versa.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:40 PM
sbt518's Avatar
sbt518 sbt518 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhorseman View Post
And neither of those examples are what the OP asked about. He specifically asked about cruises starting In NY and ending in FL or vice versa.
True, the cruises that I was referring to do not repeat weekly so he couldn't do the back to back he was talking about but he still could buy a cheap one way ticket either and go to a variety of places.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:52 PM
garycarla garycarla is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nashville, TN (we moved, again)
Posts: 17,670
Default

The OP specifically asked about NY-MIA and MIA-NY with Island stops. As to which ones, would qualify, somebody can chime in.

I really thing the main reason is the public would not buy enough because of airfares.

Just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDBGUY View Post
...why don't any of the cruise lines have one way sailings so they can depart from NYC, make several stops in the caribbean and then end in Miami or Ft Lauderdale? ...
__________________
NCL Pearl -Seatle-Alaska 6/22/14
NCL Dawn - Tampa to Boston 4/27/14....NCL Dawn-Boston-Bermuda RT 7/26/13 [Celebrity Reflection-Carribean 12/8/12
NCL Spirit New Orleans 3/28/10.................NCL Jade - Med 1/25/09................................NCL Pearl Miami-Panama-Seattle 4/13/08
NCL Spirit New Orleans 11/25/07...............NCL Spirit New England 9/30/07.................NCL Spirit -NYC , 9/29/07
NCL Sun from New Orleans 3/25/07..........NCL Jewel Barcelona-Miami 10/21/06.........QM2 from New York to England 4/15/06
Alaska via Princess Dawn 5/30/05..............Seabourn Pride: NY-FL-Nassau, 10/17/04...Alaska via Carnival Spirit 6/2/04

Last edited by garycarla; March 19th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:29 PM
stegosaurus1's Avatar
stegosaurus1 stegosaurus1 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 392
Talking Am I missing something

hat are repositioning cruises, leave NYC get off in Miami, that's hat I did in Nov for 14 days on the Dawn...the Spirit, the Jewel and many others on various lines...even go one way to or from Europe. They can't do this on a regular basis because of costs of port charges and guarantees.Barb
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:24 AM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarla View Post
The OP specifically asked about NY-MIA and MIA-NY with Island stops. As to which ones, would qualify, somebody can chime in.

I really thing the main reason is the public would not buy enough because of airfares.

Just my two cents.
You have to call on Aruba or Curacao.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:28 AM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegosaurus1 View Post
hat are repositioning cruises, leave NYC get off in Miami, that's hat I did in Nov for 14 days on the Dawn...the Spirit, the Jewel and many others on various lines...even go one way to or from Europe. They can't do this on a regular basis because of costs of port charges and guarantees.Barb

It has to do with the time required to sail from NY to Aruba or Curacao, which would be required in order for the cruise to comply with the law. It's not going to work on a 7 day cruise.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:59 AM
debshomespun debshomespun is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hubbard, OH USA
Posts: 5,352
Default

The one way cruises from NYC to Miami are the repositioning cruises, and the ship is leaving the NYC area, to be in the Caribbean for the winter months. Many of these ships also do from Florida to Europe for the summer season, or from Florida through the Panama canal and up to Alaska for the summer months.

We did the Dawn repo last Nov too, and loved it. 14 nights, many ports and sea days. The OP should look at these cruises. Then, once they get off the ship in Miami, they could hop on another ship and cruise the Caribbean, or stay on the same ship.
__________________
Debbie -- 296 nights of sailing!
Spending my kids inheritance 1 cruise at a time and
Working on my "bucket list" 1 port at a time!

UPCOMING CRUISES
Celebrity Solstice (Sydney to NZ 12 nights) 1-27-15
9 nights on land to explore! (Auckland & Sydney)
RC Rhapsody (Australia Queensland 11 nights) 2-17-15
RC Freedom (Eastern 7 nights) 10-4-15
Celebrity Infinity (SA, Buenos Aires to Brazil, Carnival in Rio!!) 1-31-16
Celebrity Equinox (FLL to New Orleans Mardi Gras) 2-20-17

PAST CRUISE HISTORY: (36 cruises completed!)
Celebrity Millennium (Western) 2-6-12, Eclipse 1-26-13 (Southern 14 nites) (19 nights sailed)

HAL Ryndam (Hawaii & Tahiti 30 day) 1-4-09, Westerdam (Eastern) 10-29-06 (37 nights sailed)

RCCL -Legend (Southern 2-3-14) Legend (Eastern 1-24-14), Independence (Western 2-10-13), Explorer (Bermuda 10-28-12) Serenade (Southern) 1-28-12 Allure (Western) 10-9-11, Oasis (Western) 10-1-11, Liberty (Western) 2-5-,11, Liberty (Western) 2-7-10, Navigator (Western) 1-30-10,Navigator (Western) 1-25-10, Jewel (Panama) 11-7-08, Enchantment (Western) 9-1-08, Radiance (Hawaii) 5-3-08, Enchantment (Western) 1-26-08 B2B, Enchantment (Western) 1-21-08 B2B, Mariner (Eastern) 9-2-07, Freedom (Western) 9-10-06, Empress (Western) 9-3-05, Navigator (Western) 5-14-05, Jewel (Eastern) 1-29-05, Majesty (Bahamas) 3-1-04, Explorer (Western) 5-10-03, (159) nights sailed

Norwegian - Pearl (Southern) 3-2-07 Dawn (Repo) 11-1-09 NCL Pearl (Western) 10-10-10, Jewel (Western) 10-13-13 Dawn (Repo) 11-7-14 (51 nights sailed)

Princess - Grand Princess (Southern) 2-11-12 Caribbean Princess (Eastern) 4-29-06 (14 nights sailed)

Carnival - Sensation (Western) 5-10-04, Holiday (Western) 4-19-04, Destiny (Southern) 4-6-03 (17 nights sailed)
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:45 AM
smeyer418's Avatar
smeyer418 smeyer418 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 20,906
Default

Many years ago there was an American flagged ship that did the NY to Miami run(with cars) but it wasn't profitable and was discontinued.

As others have said to do the NY to Miami run regularly for a foreign flagged ship would require a stop at a distant foreign port any port not in North America(the Caribbean is considered a nearby foreign port), Bermuda is also considered a nearby foreign port. So to do this a stop in the ABC islands, , Columbia or Venezuela would be required as examples.Its at least a 10 day cruise. The US insular possessions(PR, VI etc) are also considered nearby foreign ports...
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.