Cruises that start in NYC and end in Miami

WDBGUY

Alot of New York area residents fly to Florida to get on a cruise and then fly back home. I know NCL goes out of NYC to the Bahamas round trip but not everyone wants to keep going to the sames destinations time after time.

Why don't any of the cruise lines have one way sailings so they can depart from NYC, make several stops in the caribbean and then end in Miami or Ft Lauderdale? then leave Miami/Ft Lauderdale and do the reverse and end in NYC. wouldn't there be a market for this kind of sailings? you could have different islands for the northbound and the southbound sailings so someone could do a 14 day back to back cruise from either Miami or NYC. people can spend time in NYC or Miami and then fly one way home. just a thought, I think they should test the waters on this one.

Alot of New York area residents fly to Florida to get on a cruise and then fly back home. I know NCL goes out of NYC to the Bahamas round trip but not everyone wants to keep going to the sames destinations time after time.

Why don't any of the cruise lines have one way sailings so they can depart from NYC, make several stops in the caribbean and then end in Miami or Ft Lauderdale? then leave Miami/Ft Lauderdale and do the reverse and end in NYC. wouldn't there be a market for this kind of sailings? you could have different islands for the northbound and the southbound sailings so someone could do a 14 day back to back cruise from either Miami or NYC. people can spend time in NYC or Miami and then fly one way home. just a thought, I think they should test the waters on this one.

It can't be done. It would be a violation of the law...the Passenger Vessel Services Act. Foreign-flagged ships can not carry passengers between two US ports(meaning you can't embark at one US port and disembark at another) unless they also call at what is known as a distant foreign port.

It can't be done. It would be a violation of the law...the Passenger Vessel Services Act. Foreign-flagged ships can not carry passengers between two US ports(meaning you can't embark at one US port and disembark at another) unless they also call at what is known as a distant foreign port.

Doesn't stopping in the caribbean in between count as an foreign stop, what stops someone from getting on in NYC and getting off at Port Canaveral? which is the next stop.

Doesn't stopping in the caribbean in between count as an foreign stop, what stops someone from getting on in NYC and getting off at Port Canaveral? which is the next stop.

The typical nearby ports like the Bahamas, St. Martin, etc. don't count. Without going back to look up the exact details, I can tell you the distant foreign ports are places like Aruba, etc...that are not considered to be in North America.

Under the law you can not embark in NY and disembark at Port Canaveral.

You can get off but the cruise line (any cruise line, not just NCL) will be required by federal law to impose a penalty on you of $300 (I think) per person. BTW, this isn't pocketed by the cruise line; it goes to the federal government.

P.S. Here's a pretty good article that goes over all the details of the Passenger Services Act, sometimes mistakenly referred to as the Jones Act:

http://www.sealetter.com/Oct-99/alancol.html

It is legally possible to have a one-way cruise from NYC to San Juan or St Thomas (with at least one stop in any other country) under the PVSA.

But unfortunately the higher airfares and hotel rates in these US Territories reduces demand for this type of cruise. Cruise lines typically only offer these cruises as repositioning trips once or twice a year.

It is also legally possible to have a cruise from NYC, ending in one of the non-USA Caribbean Islands.

But small airports, lack of hotel rooms, lack of flights, and prices of flights once again reduce demand and make this idea impractical and unprofitable.

NCL has some cruises that go from Miami to NYC with stops in the Caribbean (maybe distant foreign ports, IDK)

I was looking at one on the Jewell 5/17/11 that is 11 days.

They call them Caribbean Escape or something like that on the website.

Here is a link to them, not sure if it will work

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/destination/itineraries.html?shipCode=&destinationCode=CARIBBEAN&subDestinationCode=CARIBBEAN.WESTERN&duration=11

You can get off but the cruise line (any cruise line, not just NCL) will be required by federal law to impose a penalty on you of $300 (I think) per person. BTW, this isn't pocketed by the cruise line; it goes to the federal government.

P.S. Here's a pretty good article that goes over all the details of the Passenger Services Act, sometimes mistakenly referred to as the Jones Act:

http://www.sealetter.com/Oct-99/alancol.html

It's one thing for a passenger here or there to disembark the ship in violation of the PVSA and incur the fine, but the OP was asking about a cruise line running scheduled itineraries where passengers embark in NY and disembark in FL, or vice versa. If a cruise line actually tried that the government would likely revoke their US port privileges as it would be an intentional and repeated violation of the law.

NCL has some cruises that go from Miami to NYC with stops in the Caribbean (maybe distant foreign ports, IDK)

I was looking at one on the Jewell 5/17/11 that is 11 days.

They call them Caribbean Escape or something like that on the website.

Here is a link to them, not sure if it will work

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/destination/itineraries.html?shipCode=&destinationCode=CARIBBEAN&subDestinationCode=CARIBBEAN.WESTERN&duration=11

Yes...that cruise calls on Aruba and Curaco, and they are distant foreign ports under the law, so the cruise is permitted to start at one US port and end in another.

It is legally possible to have a one-way cruise from NYC to San Juan or St Thomas (with at least one stop in any other country) under the PVSA.

But unfortunately the higher airfares and hotel rates in these US Territories reduces demand for this type of cruise. Cruise lines typically only offer these cruises as repositioning trips once or twice a year.

It is also legally possible to have a cruise from NYC, ending in one of the non-USA Caribbean Islands.

But small airports, lack of hotel rooms, lack of flights, and prices of flights once again reduce demand and make this idea impractical and unprofitable.

And neither of those examples are what the OP asked about. He specifically asked about cruises starting In NY and ending in FL or vice versa.

And neither of those examples are what the OP asked about. He specifically asked about cruises starting In NY and ending in FL or vice versa.

True, the cruises that I was referring to do not repeat weekly so he couldn't do the back to back he was talking about but he still could buy a cheap one way ticket either and go to a variety of places.

The OP specifically asked about NY-MIA and MIA-NY with Island stops. As to which ones, would qualify, somebody can chime in.

I really thing the main reason is the public would not buy enough because of airfares.

Just my two cents.

...why don't any of the cruise lines have one way sailings so they can depart from NYC, make several stops in the caribbean and then end in Miami or Ft Lauderdale? ...

hat are repositioning cruises, leave NYC get off in Miami, that's hat I did in Nov for 14 days on the Dawn...the Spirit, the Jewel and many others on various lines...even go one way to or from Europe. They can't do this on a regular basis because of costs of port charges and guarantees.Barb:D

The OP specifically asked about NY-MIA and MIA-NY with Island stops. As to which ones, would qualify, somebody can chime in.

I really thing the main reason is the public would not buy enough because of airfares.

Just my two cents.

You have to call on Aruba or Curacao.

hat are repositioning cruises, leave NYC get off in Miami, that's hat I did in Nov for 14 days on the Dawn...the Spirit, the Jewel and many others on various lines...even go one way to or from Europe. They can't do this on a regular basis because of costs of port charges and guarantees.Barb:D

It has to do with the time required to sail from NY to Aruba or Curacao, which would be required in order for the cruise to comply with the law. It's not going to work on a 7 day cruise.

The one way cruises from NYC to Miami are the repositioning cruises, and the ship is leaving the NYC area, to be in the Caribbean for the winter months. Many of these ships also do from Florida to Europe for the summer season, or from Florida through the Panama canal and up to Alaska for the summer months.

We did the Dawn repo last Nov too, and loved it. 14 nights, many ports and sea days. The OP should look at these cruises. Then, once they get off the ship in Miami, they could hop on another ship and cruise the Caribbean, or stay on the same ship.

Many years ago there was an American flagged ship that did the NY to Miami run(with cars) but it wasn't profitable and was discontinued.

As others have said to do the NY to Miami run regularly for a foreign flagged ship would require a stop at a distant foreign port any port not in North America(the Caribbean is considered a nearby foreign port), Bermuda is also considered a nearby foreign port. So to do this a stop in the ABC islands, , Columbia or Venezuela would be required as examples.Its at least a 10 day cruise. The US insular possessions(PR, VI etc) are also considered nearby foreign ports...

Archived