How early is too early to start packing?

Jo and Rob

We have 25 days until we sail and I'm itching to start packing but the cases are still in the loft waiting for Rob to get them down. Is it just me or is this the right time to start gathering bits and get those luggage labels on the cases!!

I start putting some things aside about 1 month prior..trying to get my head wrapped around what we need, medications, and things that we need but have extras on hand.

I have it all together now in a closet and on the spare bed and we leave in 3 days to drive to LA for our Panama Canal cruise on Monday! so it 's not too early as far as I am concerned! LOL

I start putting things aside as soon as I've booked a cruise, even if it's months away. I like seeing that "packing shelf" in my closet. Right now it has a insulated mug and my spare sports bottle. Oh, and a couple of shampoo and conditioner samples due to the change of Princess products.

Jackie

We have 25 days until we sail and I'm itching to start packing but the cases are still in the loft waiting for Rob to get them down. Is it just me or is this the right time to start gathering bits and get those luggage labels on the cases!!

It is never too early to start packing ! I start at least 1 month before. I take out my list and start gathering. I lay out everything and even do a trial run and weigh the luggage. I always find other events come up right before a trip and last minute packing is not something I want to do.

Sali

Oh my, you are a patient person! I start putting things in the guest room about 2 months out. My husband just smiles and shakes his head ( He thinks the night before is good ). Planning and packing is half the fun. So start throwing things in that spare room and have a great cruise! :D

Always partially packed - it is never too early. We have the "travel section" with items that always go with us, sometimes go with us, and then there is the walk-in closet that has primarily cruise wear in it, so I can sort through and figure out what is going. DH as least has 2 different travel lists he keeps in Word to print out and assist his last-day packing.

If it's a really long trip, I have been known to go day by day, activity by activity, and ensemble by ensemble to plan the packing. Then I cut down on stuff, but it is fun!

If you start early, as I do, it's wise to keep a list of what you have already packed, so when you get to the last couple of days before you will leave, and you don't remember if you packed "this or that item", you can just check you list instead of tearing into the suitcases looking to see if that item is in there!

I mentioned this because I HAVE had to dig thru my packed bags at the last moment to see if something I just thought of is in there!! LOL! Now, I have a permanent packing list stored on my computer, and I print it off when I start putting things in suitcases so I can check things off as they get packed.

My carry on with toiletries, first aid kit, some electronics are packed all the time. This is stuff that is taken on every trip, land or sea and for any length of time.

My clothes/shoes/accessories, I usually decide what to pack the Sunday prior to leaving, then hang it/fold it underneath a rolling garment rack. I pack away from the closet to avoid packing extra.

The day prior to leaving, I check off everything to make sure nothing is missing. I do that before packing anything into suitcases as I have packed so early in the past that I find I have 2 of some things when we arrive and unpack. I hate it when I overpack.

If you start early, as I do, it's wise to keep a list of what you have already packed, so when you get to the last couple of days before you will leave, and you don't remember if you packed "this or that item", you can just check you list instead of tearing into the suitcases looking to see if that item is in there!

I mentioned this because I HAVE had to dig thru my packed bags at the last moment to see if something I just thought of is in there!! LOL! Now, I have a permanent packing list stored on my computer, and I print it off when I start putting things in suitcases so I can check things off as they get packed.

Great advise! With that said, Hell! My Royal Princess cruise is just under a year away and already thinking about starting what I call the staging area to pack:D It's never too early to start packing!

We sail in a little over two weeks. The DW started getting things ready last week. I went to the attic on Monday to get down the luggage. In the garage I start to vacuum the bags before bringing them into the house. Looked at the bottom and one of the wheels is broken. We love that bag, it a big red Samsonite, we have had it for twenty or more years. They don't make them like that anyone. So I order a new bag from Overstock and it will be here tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can put new wheels on BIG RED when we get back. He is like an Old Friend. So folks, check your bags before you need them.

Edited by danielsumner

I usually pack the week before, but this time (a little less than 3 months out) I have "Europe Headquarters" created to put all travel items as I think of them. Soon the spreadsheet will be updated and printed for use. It's all so exciting!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We usually start about 3 weeks out. The dog would absolutely hate it! He knew what suitcases were for & knew he was getting left behind.

Almost time to start packing...flying to FLL April 26.

I usually start throwing stuff in my bag a few weeks before the cruise. I have my paking list and I cross them off as they get packed, this way I know I've packed everything I need! I love packing for a cruise! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be (and to some extent still am) an overpacker. There are loads of websites around that have helped me to see some sense in how to cut down. The number one tip that changed my life was "stick with one colour palette". So that would mean blacks, whites, greys and one colour (or two if they are complementary like blue and purple). This tip allowed me to shed 6kgs on my last winter trip and I was still overpacked!! But I was proud of myself :) And in some ways it's changed the way I look at my whole wardrobe and potential purchases.

Also look into "capsule wardrobes" if you're REALLY serious about packing light - a little overboard for me but the principles are a good help and I find quite motivating.

My other organisational tip is to use a spreadsheet - I use Google Drive and have a spreadsheet in there that I can access from anywhere I have internet so it's perfect for when I think of something at work or when I'm out and can add it from my phone. Within this spreadsheet I'll plan my entire holiday on one sheet and then when the next trip is planned it becomes a new tab. This includes links to potential websites for activities and sightseeing recommendations, notes from guide books etc - it's great for planning any trip (especially if you're a DIY/independent traveller doing overland sectors alongside cruising in the one vacation). So here I will list activities (and any special clothing items needed for that) and booking refs if hotels and flights are also involved, and start my packing list - and I am specific by telling myself exactly which tops I want to take, how many sets of underwear, socks etc. Then I can cheat by looking at what I had on the packing list for the last trip and copying over/comparing what is needed. Upon return from a trip I will make notes against the packing list what worked and what didn't so I now have notes on what to do or avoid next trip.

I've been doing this now for about 3 years and it's made me far less stressed about packing. I also think that once things are booked it's fair game to start getting organised. This became a life saver for me last year when I went from Summer at home to winter destination a week after I moved house - I started packing when the season at home started changing - My intital pack had WAAY too much but I was able to do a final packing cull 2 days before I left as I had everything already sorted into one moving carton to choose from.

For same climate trips I think it's important to start a few weeks ahead as I find it's inevitable that if I leave it to last minute packing that something will need washing that I really wanted to take and then it's a rush to get it washed and dried in time! Or I'll struggle to find the things I "put away safely for next time" or didn't get put in it's right place after the last trip and end up turning the house upside down before I leave which is exactly NOT what you want to come home from vacation to!

I'm currently itching to start packing for June but I can't as all my winter stuff is still in storage as the season here hasn't changed yet (and usually doesn't until about May), but my spreadsheet plan is well advanced!

I know it sounds like a lot of work but I'm sure the payoffs are worth it. Good luck!

Our next cruise is 7 months away, but I'm always thinking of things I can either add or delete from my packing list. Just today DH brought home a pocket translator for our time in Spain to add to the "things" he needs. Of course, that will go in his backpack, not mine! LOL

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)