Cabana? Cabana? Why should I book a Cabana?

CruzerDeb

HMC is hot. Hot, hot, hot! Unless you are in the water the entire time, you will be hot. The cabana has air conditioning and shade. Also, it costs money to rent floats, the cabanas include them. And the cabana gives you your own personal shower. If I go back to HMC, I will spend the money or just stay on the ship. That is my own personal opinion though, most people love the place. It was just too hot for me. Couldn't sit in the lounge chair for even a few minutes and that was in October.

They are about $200. So if there are 4 of you, that's only about $50 each.

For the money, you get shade, a/c, shower, two loungers, table and 4 chairs, fridge, privacy, chips, salsa, fruit & veggies, dip, snorkel gear, floatie mats...did I leave anything else out?

Worth it to me.

ETA: I left out soda/water.

If you have someone who:

A. Loves the beach, but not the sun

B. Can't take the heat (elderly, sick, young)

C. Wants a place to put things, eat, etc. without getting sand in everything

then rent a Cabana. Even my accountant husband said it was the best money we have spent on an excursion.

I just rented one for my cruise coming up in January. I wouldn't normally consider it because it is alot of money (229.00) but my MIL and FIL are both 71 years old and do not like too much sun. There is nothing else to do on this island - it is a beach and that's it. Of course there is a restaurant area but it's truly just a full day at the beach. I couldn't figure out what we would do with my in laws all day until I came across the cabanas. I purchased them but haven't told my inlaws. We going to surprise them!!

Not sure did anyone mention you don't have to bring towels, there is a shower and a misting fan? A mini fridge is there too.

I've seen tons of threads about booking a cabana at Half Moon Cay. Why? They're pretty expensive, aren't they?

Why should I book a cabana? Sell me, please!:)

Been to Half Moon 5-6 times and never needed any of this. Beach, BBQ, bars, and bathrooms are all right there.

Neither the hubs nor I are beach people. Basically, on any private islands visited we've gotten off the ship, taken a walk, had a drink and lunch and gotten back on the ship. Renting a cabana wouldn't be for us.

However, from the various descriptions, I can definitely appreciate the value if you really want to maximize the day at the beach with more creature comforts than just a beach chair or towel.

It is the best way to maximize your time at HMC which is one of my very favorite places. You get priority tendering with cabanas rental so you can stay on the island for nearly the whole day. The showers are great to rinse off with and the shade can be a great respite if the sun is too much.

Just got back from HMC. Had a Cabana as usual and had a ball. Hubby had skin Cancer so stays out of the sun. Altho this time he got into the water as it was Oct and not as hot as it is in the summer--but it was pleasantly warm! The air conditioning and mister help if you don't like warm temps. We were the first tender over and one of the last to leave. If you look at it like a 7 hour excursion it is not that expensive!

Do you "NEED" the cabana? No, however for us it is a great value and well worth the cost.

First the things that you get that you would otherwise need to pay for:

8 cans of pop @ $2 each = $16.00

2 bottles of water @ $5 each = $10.00

Snorkel set @ $19 each = $76.00

Float Mats @ $15 each = $60.00

total = $162.00

What else you get:

Oranges

Melon plate - watermelon, pineapple, cantaloupe, muskmelon

Veggie tray - carrots, cauliflower, etc

Chips & Dip - salsa, guacamole, etc

Mini Fridge

Cooler w ice

Air Conditioner

Fan w mister

towels

table w 4 padded chairs

2 padded loungers

shower

priority tender to the island

Pick up and delivery! (they will drive you to the back of your cabana when you arrive, and come pick you up if you request it at the end of the day)

Thought about the cabana on our first trip to HMC but didnt get one.

Found plenty of lounge chairs in shaded areas and they give you a very nice lunch.

For us it is not worth it. Also we are platinum so we dont have to wait for a tender.

Do you "NEED" the cabana? No, however for us it is a great value and well worth the cost.

total = $162.00

What else you get:

Oranges

Mini Fridge

Cooler w ice

Air Conditioner

Fan w mister

towels

table w 4 padded chairs

2 padded loungers

shower

Pick up and delivery! (they will drive you to the back of your cabana when you arrive, and come pick you up if you request it at the end of the day)

That is an excellent breakdown and I am sure that I will rent one next time now that I have seen that. Thanks!

Should we ever sail to HMC again, I would definitely get a cabana. Would be nice to have a place to get out of the sun, if necessary. When we finally got to the beach after our excursion, there were very few chairs around - and as others have said, it gets very hot (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

I like the idea of having goodies in the cabana, and the water floats and noodles readily at hand, too.

Not worth renting to me. I spent most of the time in the water tho. It was great. I'd rather spend the money on the ship. You can buy alot of cocktails with 200 bucks. Or have a nice steak dinner in the steakhouse foe 1/3 of that. Ripoff if you ask me. Plenty of shade to put your chair under if needed.

total = $162.00

What else you get:

Oranges

Mini Fridge

Cooler w ice

Air Conditioner

Fan w mister

towels

table w 4 padded chairs

2 padded loungers

shower

Best answer ever!

Welcome! I may have missed a couple of things, if anyone notices anything, please add it! :D

You covered it all and I agree it's definitely worth it. We just rented one last week for the first time and would do so again. I'm not a sun person and we had a little one so it was perfect for us.

Of course I think this is soooo worth it.

Here is a recent map of the Island. You can see the Cabanas (red squares) and they number 1 - 15 from bottom to top.

IMG_0751.JPG

I like #10 the best.

IMG_0753.JPG

This is my favorite port. I actually look for ships going here....

IMG_0754.JPG

I don't understand why more Carnival ships don't stop here.

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

100_5460.JPG

DH and I (and consequently our kids) are of Northern European descent. We burn easily. I have a family history of skin cancer. I love being on the beach and swimming (with lots of sunscreen - DH and the boys also wear sun-protective swim shirts), but we limit our sun exposure. And with 4 or 5 of us in a cabana, it really is as cheap (or cheaper) than the "active" excursions offered on HMC. For us, it's worth every penny.

Archived