Formal nights

jacketwatch

No there are no formal nights on Azamara, evening dress code is "Resort Casual" on the whole most men wear open necked shirts or polos and trousers, ladies in dresses (long or short) or trousers and tops. Smart casual would be a better description however there is nothing stopping you dressing up and many men will wear jackets and ties, with ladies in cocktail dresses but this may be for a special occasion or just what they prefer to wear.

Thank you. I would like to try them someday too though we once were on that class of ship from the former Renaissance line and my wife felt the motion of that ship quite a bit. They are small ships though at the time we booked a forward facing cabin. Big mistake. We were able to shift to an amidships cabin a few days into the cruise and that was much better. If we go an Azamara we need just such a cabin again.

Timely topic since I'm packing for my upcoming cruise. Since I'm traveling a long way to get to it, can I get away with khaki's and a dressy shirt or do I need to have a jacket of some sort? What do most wear?

No need for a jacket. Khakis are fine. Some wear dressier slacks but that's their choice. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

No jeans in the dining room. Which is a bit crazy really seeing some of the things people do wear.

Apparently it was changed to no formal nights in response to passenger requests. Some people do choose Azamara because of it.

I would have thought people would have dressed up a little for the Azamara Evening though (particularly that it was a piano and violin recital). Some people dressed VERY casually.

No jeans in the dining room. Which is a bit crazy really seeing some of the things people do wear.

Apparently it was changed to no formal nights in response to passenger requests. Some people do choose Azamara because of it.

I would have thought people would have dressed up a little for the Azamara Evening though (particularly that it was a piano and violin recital). Some people dressed VERY casually.

Not sure they ever had formal nights, certainly not had one since 2008

Azamazing evening dress varies, always a mixture so if you have no jacket, no issue, if you have a jacket no issue

The lovely thing about Azamara is the atmosphere of the ship is such that everyone leaves their judgemental of others genes shoreside

Edited by uktog

Not sure they ever had formal nights, certainly not had one since 2008

Azamazing evening dress varies, always a mixture so if you have no jacket, no issue, if you have a jacket no issue

The lovely thing about Azamara is the atmosphere of the ship is such that everyone leaves their judgemental of others genes shoreside

I am one who dislikes the stuffiness of formal nights so Azamara's dress code is perfect for me.

If having dinner in one of the speciality restaurants or if my Azamazing evening is a concert I do like to dress up a bit but as others have said it's not necessary

Thank you. I would like to try them someday too though we once were on that class of ship from the former Renaissance line and my wife felt the motion of that ship quite a bit. They are small ships though at the time we booked a forward facing cabin. Big mistake. We were able to shift to an amidships cabin a few days into the cruise and that was much better. If we go an Azamara we need just such a cabin again.

I also suffer from these issues and always make sure that I am mid-ships, somewhere in the middle third of the vessel. It indeed really makes a difference.

One other thing is that I have found that the Med is much smoother in mid-May to mid-June than in September, particularly due to the meltemi winds that start up in July. (I do not sail in the heat of July or August.) We have had wonderful late May cruises, the best weather IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

some men where a jackrt to the Wine dinners or in speciality places.. other look like they are going to a movie or mowing the lawn.

women- some who go to the buffet look liked they helped mowed the lawn -others dress in dresses or dressy tops..

We saw SEVERAL different people on "white nights" wearing the ROBES we had in our rooms this past January! I would say people are far more casual then dressy. At least on our 12 day Sea of Cortez cruise. Often wearing a sundress or capri's and a blouse I felt perfectly comfortable.

Enjoy your trip!

• 1 month later...

I hear what everyone is saying about no jackets/ties for men. Since we booked our first Azamara cruise, we were looking at one of their catalogs. There seems to be 4 pictures of men at a dining setting. Two of the pictures have the men in a coat and tie and the other two pictures have the men in a jacket. Confusing. I will take what I read here as fact and leave my jackets and ties home.

I hear what everyone is saying about no jackets/ties for men. Since we booked our first Azamara cruise, we were looking at one of their catalogs. There seems to be 4 pictures of men at a dining setting. Two of the pictures have the men in a coat and tie and the other two pictures have the men in a jacket. Confusing. I will take what I read here as fact and leave my jackets and ties home.

wine dinners and dinner with the captain people dress up more. some do over the holidays.. i have seen it all. others walk around at nigt and i think they came from mowign their lawn..

Leave your jackets at home. There's no need to take them. I've eaten several times with the captain, and with the staff captain and chief engineer, and often with the hotel director, and never wore a jacket.

Don't let others intimidate you..and certainly don't let a marketing brochure with posed pictures and models influence you. You don't have to please anyone but yourself.

That's called advertizing!! It's that magic land where all women are statuesque and size 2 and all men sport buff six packs and drive Ferraris. ;) In reality, all Azamara asks of you is this (and it's easy):

Dining: What (And What Not) to Wear

In all of our dining rooms, we encourage guests to follow a “resort casual” dress code, following good taste and common sense.

• Bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, bathing suits, shorts, and jeans are not allowed in the main dining room or two specialty restaurants. (Khakis and other trousers are fine.)
  • When dining at Windows Café, guests must wear footwear and a cover-up or shirt.
  • In Prime C, Aqualina and Discoveries Restaurant, many guests enjoying dressing up. Formal evening wear (tuxedos and gowns) is not expected. We recommend that men bring a sport coat or suit; this attire comes in handy for evenings onshore as well. For women, dining attire includes dresses, skirts, blouses with pants and capris, and other appropriate attire.

That's called advertizing!! It's that magic land where all women are statuesque and size 2 and all men sport buff six packs and drive Ferraris. ;) In reality, all Azamara asks of you is this (and it's easy):

Ferraris...did someone mention Ferraris? You have to have a Ferrari when you're in Sorrento. :D ;) :p

1022.jpg

Leave your jackets at home. There's no need to take them. I've eaten several times with the captain, and with the staff captain and chief engineer, and often with the hotel director, and never wore a jacket.

Don't let others intimidate you..and certainly don't let a marketing brochure with posed pictures and models influence you. You don't have to please anyone but yourself.

At the present time I am sailing on Journey.

A couple of days ago we had our Azamazing evening at the Yacht Club of Monaco. If passengers wished to attend, they were asked to 'dress to impress'. 95% of the men wore jackets and many ladies wore long dresses, cocktail dresses or long skirts and tops. It was lovely to see everyone dressed up.

I love sailing with Azamara, but I also enjoy dressing formally on other cruise lines.

At the present time I am sailing on Journey.

A couple of days ago we had our Azamazing evening at the Yacht Club of Monaco. If passengers wished to attend, they were asked to 'dress to impress'. 95% of the men wore jackets and many ladies wore long dresses, cocktail dresses or long skirts and tops. It was lovely to see everyone dressed up.

I love sailing with Azamara, but I also enjoy dressing formally on other cruise lines.

Tigernut, did you know beforehand that an extra level of dressing was requested? I'd have been caught out otherwise!

Tigernut, did you know beforehand that an extra level of dressing was requested? I'd have been caught out otherwise!

It's worth bearing in mind that all good European restaurants demand a level of formality which goes way beyond the Azamara dress code, so if you want to dine out, be prepared.

As for the Monaco Yacht Club, I recently came back from a Star Flyer cruise based in Monaco, and two of my fellow passengers whom I got to know are members of Monaco Yacht Club; as members they were able to visit it during the day, before we left for the airport, wearing very smart resort casual. Evenings gear it up considerably...

Hi, I personally knew, as I had read something on line and I packed a cocktail dress. Other passengers I spoke to, had checked with Azamara before boarding and were told that 'smart casual' was acceptable. Conflicting advice!

The Azamazing evening was split between two groups; I was in the earlier group. I have no idea how many males in the later group wore jackets. Overall, the standard of dress on that evening, was far more formal than you usually see on Azamara.

I agree that I don't want to be underdressed or embarrassed. However, I would not be happy if the Azamazing evening required formal wear when we don't need it for the rest of the trip. We enjoy formal nights on our short Caribbean cruises but prefer Azamara's no formal nights for longer cruises.

I believe a sport coat or jacket is not formal wear and my friend belongs to MCYC and I am surprised they allowed men to not wear one. It is a lovely club and I would hate for anyone to miss the opportunity due to no jacket.