1st timer: Packing everything but the kitchen sink!

bamacruiser16

Hello! I am a first time cruiser looking for any tips or tricks on what to pack/do. We will be sailing on the MSC Divina in about a week!

We are also looking for other friendly folks to hang with! If you are cruising on the Divina on October 25, let's make a party! :)

Bamacruiser.....you might want to check the Roll Calls for MSC Divina as there probably is one for your cruise, given that it is so close.... You should find many other folks there as well, and likely info on a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet on board....

Tips....be prepared to wear some things more than once. Enjoy your cruise! Cruising is wonderful!! :)

Welcome to CC Bama!! Here is a link to the October 25th roll call. Lots of info and people to talk with about shore excursions,,meet and greets,,,etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1989936

There's a lot of folks who have sailed Divina so if you have any questions,,someone here will definitely be able to help you!!! Have a great trip!!!:)

Hello! I am a first time cruiser looking for any tips or tricks on what to pack/do. We will be sailing on the MSC Divina in about a week!

We are also looking for other friendly folks to hang with! If you are cruising on the Divina on October 25, let's make a party! :)

We're on that sailing, too...go to the Roll Call section for the sailing if you haven't already checked in...

DON'T OVER PACK!!! :)

Hello! I am a first time cruiser looking for any tips or tricks on what to pack/do.

I often travel hand luggage only (5Kg or 11lb) so my approach to packing may be a little extreme for you but there are still snippets which may be of some help. Most people I know take far too many clothes 'just in case' without thinking about their purpose or how well they go together.

• Leave your everyday life behind. Plan for precisely each cruise scenario: breakfast/lunch, sunbathing/swimming, going ashore and dinner in each of the three dress codes: smart casual, smart and formal. Take nothing else.
  • Ensure everything goes together. This way you have many more outfits than garments.
  • Accessorise. Accessories weigh little, take up little space and add so much.
  • Don't pack anything unless it has several purposes.
  • On a longer cruise make use of the excellent value laundry offer.
  • Remember other non everyday essentials: sunglasses, hat, sunscreen and insect repellant.

Welcome Bama - the two things I wish I had on my first cruise and didn't have - a power board to plug in more than one thing at a time and a face cloth (flannel) there is liquid soap in the shower and it is hard to use without putting it onto something.

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. Hopeful for smooth and safe sailing!

The Divina is a beautiful, smooth sailing ship, so have no fears, only anticipation of a great cruise!:D

Don't forget to join the loyalty club when you get home from your cruise for deals on future cruises!:D

I called the cruiseline and asked how much luggage I could bring. The lady said....oh, you can bring as much as you like !

She then laughed and said...just remeber, your room is very small.

Things I do like to pack....a travel clock for the nightstand. It does not seem to matter which cruise line you are on, that is not provided.

A shawl for when I am on the balcony or sometimes you get under the air conditioner in the dining room or show.

Small plastic glasses where we put our toothbrushes & paste in the bathroom.

Highlighter for marking what I am interested in on the daily planner.

On one cruise, the had a travel thermometer that stuck on the outside of the window. I loved it so got on off Amazon for $7.

I usually get from the Dollar Store a plastic over the door shoe rack to keep all my bathroom supplies in order. I also bring an electrical strip to plug in my cell, camera, ipad, etc. I also like to get a small travel clock so I can quickly see what time it is. It gets so dark with the curtains closed and have no idea what time it is.

Enjoy!

Some things we do and don't pack:

We don't pack alarm clocks as we have phones and usually just schedule room service coffee to wake us up. (Also, being in the yacht club, we can schedule a wake up call).

We don't over pack clothing because the laundry deal is awesome and the fold better than me! But pack planty of swimsuits because nobody likes putting on a wet suit!

Shoes take up the most space so we each pick 1 pair of flip flops, 1 pair of dress shoes and 1 pair of athletic shoes(we use Keens because they go from street to water perfectly).

Do pack:

Walkie-talkies if you tend to split from your family a lot, it helps to get back together. Or post-it notes to leave notes in your cabin as to your whereabouts).

Electric strip (there are only a couple of outlets so if you need to flat iron and blow-dry while charging a camera this will come in handy).

A cheap shoe hanger bag for holding cosmetics and accessories since counter space is short.

Sunblock AND Aloe lotion for the inevitable sunburn. (lip balm is great too.)

Instead of perfume and cologne bottles I usually pack a few sample vials (free from macy's or other makeup counters). This is also a great time to use those sample size makeups and toiletries you have sitting in the drawer.

We always pack a swimsuit and flip flops in a tote bag for the first day, this way you can still enjoy the pool even if your suitcase has not made it to your room yet.

We don't over pack clothing because the laundry deal is awesome and the fold better than me! But pack planty of swimsuits because nobody likes putting on a wet suit!

Electric strip (there are only a couple of outlets so if you need to flat iron and blow-dry while charging a camera this will come in handy).

A cheap shoe hanger bag for holding cosmetics and accessories since counter space is short.

We always pack a swimsuit and flip flops in a tote bag for the first day, this way you can still enjoy the pool even if your suitcase has not made it to your room yet.

Great tps! We do the same.

I have a hanging toiletry bag (3 main section with clear plastic so you can see what is where, the middle section has smaller pockets to keep the bits organized. It folds up like a normal bag for in the suitcase, and makes unpacking a snap as you just hang it opened up in the bathroom (often from a magnifying mirror, towel rack, or hook on the wall/door)

Definitely don't need an alarm clock. You can use the phone in the cabin to programme it to ring at whatever time you want. There are instructions on the card but think it is * time#. It's 24 hour. So if you want 7am you'd key *0700# and for 7pm *1900#

There is an automated voice that repeats back to you the time the alarm is set for. Then you hang up. Simple. Always works. I've been using it for years on MSC ships. Even for when I just want to nap,for an hour and am concerned I may sleep longer than that.

Welcome Bama - the two things I wish I had on my first cruise and didn't have - a power board to plug in more than one thing at a time and a face cloth (flannel) there is liquid soap in the shower and it is hard to use without putting it onto something.

On the Divina, I just had to ask for a wash cloth, and two fresh ones were provided every day, sometimes they were still warm from the laundry. :)

Pack then take half of what you packed out and double the money you are bringing. :D

My 1st cruise I packed everything on all the cruise packing list I could get my hands on. I Didn't use any of it. So now it all stays home and I pack simple and efficient.

Shoes - flip flops, sneakers, dress shoes

3 Swimsuits and two cover ups

6 comfy outfits - maxi dresses, shorts and tanks, etc.

3 smart casual outfits w/ 2 extra tops.

LBD - change your accessories for each formal night i.e. - gold, silver, pearls, turquoise, etc.

Meds

Toiletries - travel size

Shades

Big beachy hat/baseball cap

Sunscreen

Aloe gel

Camera w/ backup battery and card

More than two people in your cabin - over the door shoe organizer

Don't stress about packing. You will forget something and half of your clothes you will not wear. It's OK. We have all done it.

I am on the same sailing, I think I have really overpacked. But if I have an outfit during the day and then change of clothes for dinner, it ends up being quite a bit of clothes to pack. My dresses/skirts don't take up a lot of room but pants, etc. do. I have capri pants packed and a few pair of jeans, no shorts. 2 bathing suits, coverup, 1 have 3 pair heels, 1 pair slip on shoes, 1 pair sandals, 1 pair water shoes, 1 pair tennis shoes, 1 workout outfit for fitness center. Along with a small power strip, camera, charger, we have for this trip a Halloween costume and also Halloween decorations for our door and cabin (though small so don't really take up room). Then I have small bag for bathroom supplies, etc. Though when I weighed suit cases they were at 36 and 42 pounds for myself and my husband. So I guess overall not too bad.