Oceania Wine List

cruzluvers

Does anyone have a reasonably current dining room wine list (including prices) from Oceania? Their web site does have a list (sans prices) but, based on past experience, such lists are sometimes a year or more out of date.

Thanks.

John

John

Short of dragging the blasted list to the copier in Oceania@SEA, how would one obtain such a list?

Even if one was abitious and so inclined, I well remember how massive the wine list in Polo was......of course, they had it bound in fine corinthian leather, with those silly gold tassels

The one in the Grand Dining Room was big as well.....

the wine list is extensive and we did not take digital photos.

We carried on many bottles of wine and paid the corkage fee of $20. We also purchased several bottles of white wine in dining room which were a good value. Also on our cruise, on three days there were wine sales in the atrium. A good selection of wines at good prices; they do add the 18 per cent to these purchase just like in the dining room.

Overall we were quite happy with the selection and the pricing. And we were very glad to bring our favorites (Pinot Noirs) on board and pay the corkage fee.

Hope this helps.

If you buy wine at the wine sale in the atrium and pay the 18%, do they still charge a corkage fee in the dinning room?

Hayward2,

That would be at the discretion of the Sommelier.

The directive seems to be that passengers who bring "special bottles" into the dining room will not be charged a corkage fee. This would typically indicate a vintage or cellar that could not be found on the Wine List.

Let us not forget that they are running a business, they naturally want to discourage passengers from bringing in wines (wherever they might have been purchased) simply to avoid buying wine in the dining room.

The corkage fees are used as a means to that end.

The 18% is charged, in our opinion, because there are those passengers who will bring the wine bottle directly from the lobby to a bartender and ask to be served from it.......we've even seen people sit at a TABLE in the bar and have waitresses fetch the wine glasses back and forth.

It takes all kinds to make a world........

-

The 18% is charged, in our opinion, because there are those passengers who will bring the wine bottle directly from the lobby to a bartender and ask to be served from it.......we've even seen people sit at a TABLE in the bar and have waitresses fetch the wine glasses back and forth.

-

Even more blatant, we've noticed some who have taken two glasses from their table, walked from the Dining Room, and obviously went to their room. Sometime later, they came back, with both glasses now filled and returned to their table.

They repeated this "trip" several times throughout dinner and appeared oblivious to the fact that they were being noticed. :rolleyes:

(Yes, it DOES take all kinds!!)

If you buy wine at the wine sale in the atrium and pay the 18%, do they still charge a corkage fee in the dinning room?

I believe if you purchase them on the ship as part of the wine sale you are not charged corkage fees.

I would clarify that when you purchase it.

I believe if you purchase them on the ship as part of the wine sale you are not charged corkage fees.

I would clarify that when you purchase it.

Sorry Lyn, I think you're wrong there, for the reasons outlined above.

The poor clerk selling wine in the Atrium (or whatever they call that area) would have no authority in the dining room, I could not suggest clarifying anything with him or her.

Some Cruise lines do sell wine packages for consumption in the Dining Room, however, in those cases, you prepay for the wine, and it is served at your table, by a wine steward, as normal. You do not take physical posession of the bottles until they are actually served.

Trust me, any time that you carry the bottle in, you run the risk of being charged a corkage fee.

Of course, human nature being what it is, the Wine Stewards are more likely to let "the fee" slide when the customer is a good tipper....... but if you are buying the wine to save money, that negates the purpose

Back to square one!

Sorry Lyn, I think you're wrong there, for the reasons outlined above.

Yes I could be wrong that is why I suggested to clarify if you are charged a fee or not.

We did not purchase wine from the person in the atrium so I do not know for sure.

If you take the free champagne from your cabin to the dining room I do not believe you are charged a corkage fee are you?

Lyn

I was checking some of the copies of the CURRENTS for our O cruise & the person we spoke with in the Upper Hall with the wine was for the silent auction not a sales person.

I do not remember seeing wine for sale in the atrium, perhaps they were just not on any of the cruises we have been on.

Maybe someone who has actually purchased wine on the ship & taken it to the dining room could comment.

Lyn

I posted about the wine sale in the atrium. We purchased the wine with the 18 percent. They marked the label of our bottle with our cabin number and kept the wine. It was served to us in the dining room (both main dining room and specialty) with no extra charge. This was on Spring TA for Regatta, review was posted to review page.

We only drink wine with dinner so did not ask about taking it with us. I did see others take the wine with them.

I'm just trying to answer the OPs question. And I don't care how, when or why people drink their wine; it's their business. Cheers.

Hey John,

When are you and Rhona going on an Oceania cruise?--it's our favorite line, and I hope you like it as much as we do.

On the two Oceania Med cruises we've been on, we bought local wine in Spain and Italy and brought it on board to drink in our cabin as we got ready for dinner.

Andee (Chuck, too)

They have some special reserve vintages of good quality not on the wine list that they sell. If you buy three they hold them for you in the wine cellar and will bring them to you in any of the venues - even the bars. We boarded the ship and found the sommlier and bought enough wine for the cruise from the special list - 3 bottle minimum and the prices were reasonable. I think we paid $55. for Nickel and Nickle Cabernet each....not much more than Costco. Far Niente Chardonnay $55. and Far Niente Cab was $85. If you know these wines, those prices are excellent - plus 18% tip.

John

Short of dragging the blasted list to the copier in Oceania@SEA, how would one obtain such a list?

Even if one was abitious and so inclined, I well remember how massive the wine list in Polo was......of course, they had it bound in fine corinthian leather, with those silly gold tassels

The one in the Grand Dining Room was big as well.....

Thank you all for the feedback. The above query was partially answered by the member who followed in Post # 3 on this thread, i.e. the use of digital photos many of which have been shared on these boards. Most cruise lines we have sailed with have abandoned the somewhat pretentious practice of putting the wine list in a fancy leather album but rather resort to a plain paper cover and list which any passenger who wishes to is welcome to take home as a souvenir. I do recall one occasion where a ship with a leather-bound wine list ALSO had a paperback version to give to pax who asked for it. It's among my collection of cruise ship memorabilia.

The reason for my original post was to determine:

A. Is the list on O's website current? Upon further review it obviously is not. I can't believe they are still serving moderately priced California cabs from the 2000 vintage (e.g. Kendall Jackson, St. Francis, etc.). Wines meeting that description (2000 was a mediocre year for Cal. cabs to begin with) should have been consumed by 2006. From that point forward, they are on a downhill slope. Also, there is not a single Bordeaux from the near-classic 2003 vintage. Many 3rd, 4th and 5th growths (the bulk of O's list), while still having some room for improvement, can be drunk with great pleasure in late 2008. This vintage was been in the market place since 2005-6.

B. Are O's prices reasonable? The feedback has been encouraging, particularly Post # 13 from ChatKat - thank you Kathy!! I agree that the prices you mentioned are indeed outstanding, but are they typical?

C The ultimate goal is to determine whether or not we should schlep wine from our own collection halfway across the world given the weight restrictions, risk of damage in-transit, etc. ? We think we are a little closer to that answer now.

Thanks again.

John

I remember reading in another topic that house wine is also available. Did I read this indeed or it is only my imagination and the aversion of paying 50-60 dollars for a bottle which I have to consume by myself? My wife cannot drink for health reasons so I am usually on my own. In Italy or France or Spain I would order the equivalent of a quartino or, if I don't drive, a mezzo, and that would give me everywhere in these countries about one quarter to a half litre of a decent wine.

Possible on Oceania ships?

They have some special reserve vintages of good quality not on the wine list that they sell. If you buy three they hold them for you in the wine cellar and will bring them to you in any of the venues - even the bars. We boarded the ship and found the sommlier and bought enough wine for the cruise from the special list - 3 bottle minimum and the prices were reasonable. I think we paid $55. for Nickel and Nickle Cabernet each....not much more than Costco. Far Niente Chardonnay $55. and Far Niente Cab was $85. If you know these wines, those prices are excellent - plus 18% tip.

Is the "special list" refered to above include the same wines that are sold in the "wine sales" that have been referred to in earlier posts on this thread? Or is this something completely different? Does anyone have a copy of the above cited special list?

Thanks.

John

If there is wine in your room that was given as a gift and it's from the ship's wine cellar, then there is no corkage fee. My experience has been that sometimes you pay the corkage fee and sometimes you don't, it seems to be at the whim of the sommelier.

There is house wine that you can get by the glass and it's cheaper than the other types.

If you don't finish the bottle then they mark your room number on it and save it for you. A word to the wise, sometimes the wine goes completely missing - however they replaced it for free. Another time, it took them about 30 minutes to find the half-full bottle in their cellar.

• 2 weeks later...

C The ultimate goal is to determine whether or not we should schlep wine from our own collection halfway across the world given the weight restrictions, risk of damage in-transit, etc. ? We think we are a little closer to that answer now.

Thanks again.

John

We always bring along a few bottles from home, not so much to save money but because we like what we have and are familiar with how it pairs with food. Whatever space/weight used to carry it with us is quickly refilled by the souveniers we bring back, which could be new wine or spirits (read spirits as rum :) ) or anything else that suits our fancy.

Has anyone travelled with the new "WineSkins"? They are essentially bottle shaped bubble wrap bags that seal the bottle inside and protect against bumps and leaks. They can be found online.

Archived