What are the chances that the cruise ship can't make it to the Falklands?

Gary K

snips I said earlier in this thread, some ships never have trouble, others are prone to cancel.

Is it particular shipping lines, specific cruise ships or Captains? Would be great if you could name names

Sandy in Spain

I feel it tends to be bigger ships with names ending in ...daam......

I'm not sure these huge ships with high sides are wholly suitable for such windy waters.

But people sailing round the Horn want to see penguins, and they are guaranteed in the Falklands. However, if the weather impacts on the overall schedule, then its "up anchors" and off to the next port.

Weather conditions can scuttle any port stop.

When you disembark at Ushuaia you should see kiosks for various tours, including boat tours to the main penguin island; the tour boats dock offshore and you view the birds from onboard. The only tour involving walking on the island (bus ride then Zodiac) too long for most cruise ship stops.

Edited by Fattony

• 3 weeks later...
Excellent thanks, I'll go ahead and get me some backup penguins then!

Since Penguins are one of the reasons we are doing a SA Cruise in February, we have 3 Tours booked, different ports, that include Penguins. Last summer we did a tour that included the Shetlands Islands, for some Puffins viewing, but it was rainy and really foggy, so our Puffin viewing was limited. Not going to take that kind of chance on this tour. Need some Penguin Pictures!

• 1 month later...
I feel it tends to be bigger ships with names ending in ...daam......

I'm not sure these huge ships with high sides are wholly suitable for such windy waters.

But people sailing round the Horn want to see penguins, and they are guaranteed in the Falklands. However, if the weather impacts on the overall schedule, then its "up anchors" and off to the next port.

That's interesting, because the HAL ship(s) that go to SA are smaller than the Princess and Celebrity ships that sail there.

• Like 1

So far, no ships have cancelled. However a few have had to curtail visits due to passengers injuring themselves during storms.

This involves detours to mainland SA or Stanley to drop off the injured.

Another aspect I've noticed is whether the ship makes an effort to book excursion for pax. Some do, and others don't. So a varying degree of interest on whether to hang around in bad weather.

Enjoy your trip, and hold on to that handrail!