LeHavre to Honfleur & Rouen

helpmesailaway

Is there a way to visit Honfleur and Rouen from LeHarve by train or taxi? I thought I saw a thread with this info but after searching, I am unable to find it.

We have a long day in port. Should be just visit one place or can we visit both in one day?

Thank you.

We rented a car from LeHavre and saw drove to Honfleur which is a delightful little french town. You can also do the drive to Rouen, or get a taxi at the dock. They are readily available both at the dock and in the cities. If you rent a car, be sure they give you a decent map. The rental car agency at the dock in LeHavre wasn't really helpful (could have just been the day or the person there); we were given the wrong directions and got lost trying to find our way back to the ship.

Have you done the D-Day Landing beaches from LeHavre?

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

You can take the train to Rouen. Trains run quite frequently. The station is rather far away from the port. You can walk yet better options would be a taxi or to walk just from the drop-off point of the shuttle in the major square (if your ship does offer a free one as mine did).

There is a bus connection to Honfleur but the times might not not be suitable for a cruise guest.

Anyway I would suggest to see just one of the far away cities and to spend some time in Le Havre itself to see both the famous new part and the few remains of the old town.

As others have said, you can use the train to get to Rouen. But Honfleur can only be accessed by road so you will need a car or you could use the public bus. Personally, we prefer to simply rent a car in this port since that gives us total freedom and unlimited options on where we spend the day. Driving in France is quite easy (the roads are good) and with a GPS it even makes navigation easy.

Hank

Is there a way to visit Honfleur and

We have a long day in port. Should be just visit one place or can we visit both in one day?

Thank you.

Define a "long day in port." I agree with Hank that the best way is by rental car. We did a two week driving trip in Normandy and it is very easy to get around. Per mappy.com (a good resource), the drive from Le Havre to Rouen is a little over 1 hour. We enjoyed Rouen very much - stayed there an overnight on our driving trip. Honfleur was a cute town and it's not that far from Le Havre. I think you could do both depending on your "long day."

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Le Havre on April 23, and the four of us plan to rent a car..! One of us is a 'local' living in Manchester UK! He is driving... ;)

We aren't interested in the Normandy stuff, but would like to see a little 'local' flair... Would Honfleur and Rouen be our best choices?? :)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.. Le Havre is the 14th day of our 15 day Transatlantic!! :p

We will be in Le Havre on April 23, and the four of us plan to rent a car..! One of us is a 'local' living in Manchester UK! He is driving... ;)

We aren't interested in the Normandy stuff, but would like to see a little 'local' flair... Would Honfleur and Rouen be our best choices?? :)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.. Le Havre is the 14th day of our 15 day Transatlantic!! :p

Now you've kinda confused me with "not interested in the Normandy stuff" but want "local" flair. Normandy is a big departement (county), everywhere for miles is Normandy. I'm guessing that by "Normandy stuff" you mean "D-Day".

The road to Rouen, like most motorways, is pretty featureless - it’s just a means of getting there.

So since you have a car, head west over the Seine estuary using the Pont De Normandie. Skip Honfleur, save it for the return journey.

Head along the small coast road to Trouville/Deauville, and further if you wish to Ouistreham. The PegasusBridge is interesting, but avoid going into the centre of Caen, which is complicated & often jammed. You might like to consider going further on the fast N13 Cherbourg road to Bayeux - depends on your interests and time available.

The fast A13 will get you a big chunk of the way back - for Le Havre you jump off onto the pretty but slow A29. Somewhere along that road is a quaint little Calvados distillery which can be visited.

If you've been sensible you'll have allowed plenty of time for delays - use that time in hand to drop into Honfleur, which is about 30 mins from the ship - the road into Le Havre is much simpler & better signed than the roads out & you'll have driven it earlier that day.

Dial these places into Google & Googlemaps & see what you think.

John Bull

Ps. if your Mancunian driver is puzzled by the shiny things in the middle of the wheels, these are hubcaps. Fitted at the factory to most cars, but rarely seen in Manchester.:D

Now you've kinda confused me with "not interested in the Normandy stuff" but want "local" flair. Normandy is a big departement (county), everywhere for miles is Normandy. I'm guessing that by "Normandy stuff" you mean "D-Day".
You are absolutely right..! The D-Day sites are probably of interest to many, but being a Veteran of Vietnam, I really don't need to replay memories in my mind..!! :eek: ;) Many thanks for the detailed information!!! :p

Ps. if your Mancunian driver is puzzled by the shiny things in the middle of the wheels, these are hubcaps. Fitted at the factory to most cars, but rarely seen in Manchester.:D
I'll have to ask Derek if he knows that..! :) Hubcaps .. Hmmm.m.m.m.m..... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi :) we are also in Le Havre April 23. Have you booked a car yet???I wondered what price you have got quoted for a car. Avis quotes us Euros 60 and Eurocar Euro146!!

Hi :) we are also in Le Havre April 23. Have you booked a car yet???I wondered what price you have got quoted for a car. Avis quotes us Euros 60 and Eurocar Euro146!!
My friend who lives in the UK got a price (at the pier) for 95 Euros.. 5 passenger !! :)

I'll have her check this thread and reply back, as she investigates everything!! :D

My friend who lives in the UK got a price (at the pier) for 95 Euros.. 5 passenger !! :)

I'll have her check this thread and reply back, as she investigates everything!! :D

Thank you for your reply:)

I am still searching for car rental prices to pre-book.

I had another thought to wait to book either a car or a private tour at the pier but not sure if its such a good idea as I prefer to be organized:D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived