Currency for Southern Caribbean?????

DONNAKG

Hi-- we are crusin on Caribbean Princess. Nov28 from San Juan to Tortola,Antigua,St Lucia,Barbados etc

What is their currency & did you change it on the ship/or is it even necessary as they may take US$ ????:confused:

thanks Donnakg

Hi-- we are crusin on Caribbean Princess. Nov28 from San Juan to Tortola,Antigua,St Lucia,Barbados etc

What is their currency & did you change it on the ship/or is it even necessary as they may take US$ ????:confused:

thanks Donnakg

DonnaKG - Though the US$ is somewhat devalued -- all of the islands take the dollar. It has been 25 years since we had to exchange currency.

The last time I did that was in Martinique for French Francs..:) Don't worry and have a great time.

Tortola uses US$ as their currency and all other readily access them especially private tour operators and taxi drivers. Also small vendor usually show prices in US$. Larger shops and some tour operators will accept credit card that may have charges in the local currency.

hey-- wow thanks for all your responses, sounds like really easy

this time!!! and I wont have euros left over from the Med cruise this time LOL!!

cant wait to go south-- its gettin cold here in IN:(

donnakg

Most everybody will take US dollars, surprisingly, even in countries where the USD is not the local currency.

But a caveat: Sometimes you may get great deals on using US dollars. In Marigot, at the ferry terminal and at the West Indies Mall, they were taking the USD 1:1 with the Euro. Notwithstanding paying $2 for a can of Coke, that soda, which was 2 Euro, should have cost me $2.75.

And sometimes you may not get great deals. The public bus in Cancun, at the time I went, was 6 pesos - about 60 cents at the time. There were some people who didn't have pesos and only USD, and the bus driver said, OK, OK, one dollar - and don't think he gave them any change. Granted, it was only 40 cents difference, but essentially those people were paying almost twice as much as they should have.

I always try and take some local currency. If they accept USD, that's fine, but if they have both prices listed, I don't want to have to divide (say) Eastern Caribbean dollars by 2.7 in order to figure out whether or not the US equivalent is correct or if they're including a "transaction fee."

Archived