St. Petersburg,Russia

cberge

If anyone has done a cruise to St.Petersburg or is doing one this year,I would most appreciate any feedback as to what you did while in port there.Did you do a SS excursion,and if so what and where or did you do your own.Thanking anyone in advance who replies.

I will be doing my second cruise to the baltics this august. the first was on the silver cloud in 1994, three months after silversea first went into business. at that time, just a few years after the fall of the soviet union, things were different and we decided to do all ships tours to the usual highlights of st petersburg. i must say silversea, even then, did an excellent job. this summer i will be on seabourn and we are spending three full days in st. petersburg. for two of those days i have hired a private car and driver through red october and they have custom designed an itinerary for us. of course we will revisit the hermitage and petershof, as well as catherines palace. red october gets you to the head of the line everywhere and allows you to move at your own pace and not that of an entire busload of other people. in addition we will do things that interest us like riding the subway, having lunch in different restaurants, plus visiting residential neighborhoods to get more of a feel for how the population there lives. on the third day we are taking seabourns one day trip to moscow. its a long day but a unique chance to see the kremlin as well as many other parts of the capital. i know these will be an exhausting three days but fillled with so many memories. i have heard nothing but great things about red october btw so i wouldnt hesitate to recommend them to you. have a great cruise!!!

To wripro,

Thank you for your reply and the info re Red October. We are not doing a Baltic cruise this year on SS(doing another SS cruise though) and I am looking into doing the Baltic next year.I have a friend who is doing the Baltic this year,but not on SS and SS is the only way I will go. I do believe she is using RO as well,and seems pleased with the setup so far.Now I have to decide if it is the Cloud or the Whisper.Thank you again.

Fred and I did SP for three days on RSSC Voyager in 2004. We would amen every word wripro offered. It was a magnificent experience. Brace yourselves for CROWDS. No way to escape them. But well worth the trouble. Spend the money for a private guide. We did on one day. Wished we had on two. On our third day, we ventured out on our own since (1) we went to the trouble to get visas and (2) Fred speaks Russian. In my opinion, that independent third day was worth the effort, but only because Fred speaks Russian. I don't think I'd want to venture it on my own.

Pat

cberge, I've also been on the RSSC Navigator in St. Petersburg a few years ago (2001). It is really worth it to get a private guide. I could not believe how many lines we cut. I will not recommend my guide as in later years there was a problem. Red October gets great reviews, and also something called Denrus? Never used either, but have heard many good reports about the former. I too, got my own visa, did it through the Russian consulate, no need to pay extra to a service to get it. I got off the ship for the 3rd day alone, and it was nice to have that freedom. Our ship was berthed right in town (next to a SS ship), and there were private taxi's right outside the little customs office on the Neva

Editing to say that the Cloud and Whisper are different size ships. I am normally a RSSC cruiser, and know what to expect for cabins in the different ships. I think the standard cabins on C & W are different sizes. You might want to check their website for a tour if this is important to you.

cberge, Editing to say that the Cloud and Whisper are different size ships. I am normally a RSSC cruiser, and know what to expect for cabins in the different ships. I think the standard cabins on C & W are different sizes. You might want to check their website for a tour if this is important to you.

Thank you for your input re St.P. As for the cabin size of the C or the W..I know the difference re the ships,and it is no biggie for me..I was just deciding on dates as they both do the same cruise just in reverse. I am a fan of the Cloud.I have met most of my goals as to what I have wanted to see,and St.P will almost complete my list.Thank you again.

Archived