Seeking out PescadoAmarillo - Insurance Question

Murphey

If you found this thread, thank you. I think you came across our situation previously and could offer guidance. Here is my situation. We have the Princess Platinum insurance. We had to cancel a cruise 3 days before sail date. (May 12). I do not know whether the insurance company will invoke the pre-existing clause or not (it's complicated). If they do, I know we'll get a credit.

We have another cruise that we need to make final payment for in 2 weeks. If I pay for the cruise prior to receiving the credit, will they let me apply the credit to a paid-for cruise? I hope this makes sense. The cruise we cancelled was quite expensive and we really need to use part of that for the upcoming cruise, otherwise we'll have credit running out of our ears and may not be able to use it.

I hope you find this and I appreciate any insight or experience you can share.

We have another cruise that we need to make final payment for in 2 weeks. If I pay for the cruise prior to receiving the credit, will they let me apply the credit to a paid-for cruise?

Yes they will. And then inform Princess to immediately issue a credit to the credit card you used to pay for the cruise. This will also protect you in the event the cruise in question has to be cancelled also (hope not!).

Yes they will. And then inform Princess to immediately issue a credit to the credit card you used to pay for the cruise. This will also protect you in the event the cruise in question has to be cancelled also (hope not!).

Oh, thank you for this information. Should I inform princess what is going on, or is this SOP?? And yes. The very same situation that made us cancel could come up again. Life gets complicated sometimes! So credits CAN be used for a paid trip. This is the answer I was hoping for!!!!!

Using a TA should make no difference, unless the TA is unfamiliar with this sort of thing and then he/she might initially be resistant. The TA should simply call Princess to have the credit applied to the booking. Princess might state that the booking is already paid in full and the TA should say she understands, but still wants to apply the credit. Then they should immediately ask that the overpay be credited back to the final payment credit card.

This was actually suggested to me by Princess Customer Relations, ao it is an accepted SOP. And credit must be given to CherylandTK here on Cruise Critic, who knows far more about this than I do and has posted about it several times here on CC.

:)

...So credits CAN be used for a paid trip. This is the answer I was hoping for!!!!!

In this case yes, but do be aware there are different reasons for credits being issued and not all of them can be used on prepaid or even prebooked cruises. Goodwill credit, for example, often stipulates it can only be used on a future booking and cannot be applied to an existing booking, paid for or not. Cancelation credit seems to not have this limitation, but doesn't have a typical one year 'book by' expiration.

Many people have reported they only were able to use this credit on one booking, but I just called and discussed this in detail and was told these credits do carry over, previous reports notwithstanding.

Whatever else happens, I hope your medical situation is happily resolved and that the PEC exclusion does not apply. In that case, all this credit discussion becomes moot.

Edited by cherylandtk

But, (why is there always a 'but'?) one other thing you must consider; most cancelation credits must be used on one cruise - they cannot be spread out over multiple bookings (unless perhaps you are booking them B2B as one longer cruise.

Perhaps this practice has changed, as that has not been our experience? The remaining cancellation credit stayed in our Captains Circle account to be used on a different cruise. We have that situation right now.

J- I edited my original response above; called and discussed in detail and was told credits do carry over. Good to know your experience shows the same.

Everyone else--I hate auto fill--my response above was supposed to say Does have a one year 'book by' expiration. Too late to edit now.

Cancelation credit seems to not have this limitation, but doesn't have a typical one year 'book by' expiration.
Edited by cherylandtk
Boy, did I mess up typing....

Thank you both soooo much....Cancelling the cruise in the first place was/is stressful enough. It's nice to know things will work out appropriately. You guys are a wealth of information and I really can't thank you enough for helping me out!!

One last question....I filed online today and faxed appropriate ppwk that they wanted. Could you give me an estimate on how long it takes for AON to act on a claim? Thank you....again!

One last question....I filed online today and faxed appropriate ppwk that they wanted. Could you give me an estimate on how long it takes for AON to act on a claim? Thank you....again!

CFAR claims require an extra step where AON denies because it is not a covered reason (you'll get a letter stating that) and then sends the claim to Princess who issues a Princess Travelcare credit. We have often received an email from Princess with the credit ID numbers before we even have the letter from AON. Since you faxed it in, I'd say three weeks is a good estimate.