For those with CCL stock

caribill

CCL stock has been a very good purchase for me. It has essentially paid itself back in the 3 odd years I have had it :) and it's now worth almost twice what I paid for it :) .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wished I had bought some before. I scheduled our 2017 Alaskan cruise about a year ago. I didn't fully understand the whole program. Now I do. I will probably hold off for now, but if we do Princess again I will definitely be keeping my eye on the price.

I purchased the stock back when it was in the high $20's range. With one 7 night cruise and a second much longer one each year, the OBC's make this an excellent investment - at least those perks don't result in a 1099-DIV!!! It's nice to see that our investment in the product both as stock and cruise passengers results in solid and growing profits.

Now how about a cocktail hour for shareholders on every cruise!

Darcy

I have mine in a Roth IRA account. It is the only stock in the account. Rather than cash dividends, I do dividend reinvestment, so the dividends buy me added shares of Carnival stock. When I am no longer around, my kids can take the RMDs from the Roth account.

I waited till what I thought was too late to buy in, and still, in the last few years, have seen the value of my investment go up by nearly 50%. But that's just paper profits and I doubt anyone thinks this aging bull will last forever. In any case, I have no intention of selling, or being in such financial straits I'd have to.

The real benefit - particularly since we go on medium-to-longer cruises a couple times a year - is the tax-free OBCs. We get something like an annual 10% average return on investment tax free. Not bad at all, and even if we'd paid a higher purchase price, it would still be a nice chunk of change.

I wished I had bought some before. I scheduled our 2017 Alaskan cruise about a year ago. I didn't fully understand the whole program. Now I do. I will probably hold off for now, but if we do Princess again I will definitely be keeping my eye on the price.

Unless your cruise is really soon (like in the 2 next weeks), just go ahead and buy it. The price could go up even higher than it is now. Ours has more than doubled since we bought it in 2013.

100 shares is required. You'll get dividends starting in the first quarter after purchase and OBC as soon as you send in your purchase information to Carnival. Just make sure you don't send the info before the final payment date.

And don't forget, you'll get the OBC benefit on ALL the ships that Carnival owns.

The dividend on CCL stock is being increased from $.35/share to $.40/share this quarter.

So the new rate is $1.60 a year per share.

Cool. I just got my notice for the quarter that just ended and it was still at the old rate of $0.35. Good to know it will be more next time. Heck, I was actually pleased when it was $0.25. With any luck the expansion into the Chinese market will drive it up to $0.50 per share next year. Sadly, I only own the requisite 100 shares to get the OBC. I had no idea it would go up so much when I bought the stock. I didn't get it a long time ago for peanuts like many here on CC did but I bought at $36.99 and it shows at $58.66 today so that's not too bad.

Note: In 1987 CCL stock was selling for $3.94. clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

Edited by Thrak

For those who think they can't afford the stock, we got ours through our 401K. We had wiggle room to move our investments around within it and got our shares that way. Still were able to get the OBC each time we cruised. Great investment!

I guess I'm just posting to gloat. I bought at $32.30 per share back in 2009. I am a happy cruiser. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It truly is a great investment when you Cruise a fair bit - we bought our shares @ £18 and are extremely happy to keep hold of them and reap the benefits :cool:

I have shares rather than dividends. Can other countries have this option?

I assume that you mean that your quarterly dividends are automatically reinvested into shares rather than staying as cash in your account. They just take the dividends and buy you more Carnival Corp shares with the cash. Sometimes this is an option with the Corporation and sometimes you get a discount of up to 5% on the purchase price of the shares bought with reinvested dividends. The account that you hold the shares in can likely be set up to purchase more shares with your cash dividends even if the Corporation doesn't offer that.

Note: In 1987 CCL stock was selling for $3.94. :eek:

The last major low was at the worst of the market meltdown in January 2009 when CCL bottomed out at $18. I bought my first 200 shares a year and a half later at $30.40. There was another recent low of $35 something at the October 2014 market crash related to the collapse of crude oil. I grabbed another 200 shares then. Thus I can play the market with some of my shares selling if they get relatively high and watching for an opportunity to get back in relatively low. By always keeping 100 shares I don't have to worry about missing out on my Shareholder Benefit.

I could never figure why a collapse in crude would cause cruise line shares to drop! Should have been the exact opposite but people panic and do the opposite of what the logically should do.

AE_Collector

Edited by AE_Collector
added more

I have mine in a Roth IRA account. It is the only stock in the account. Rather than cash dividends, I do dividend reinvestment, so the dividends buy me added shares of Carnival stock. When I am no longer around, my kids can take the RMDs from the Roth account.

There are no RMD's for a ROTH IRA :)