Galveston Hotels

Sky616

It's been a little slow on the gulf coast departures board so I thought I would ask this here. To your knowledge which hotels can you just have a 1 night minimum stay as compared to some I know are 2 night minimum stays? And while you're at it you can give me any info on any of these hotels? Any info is appreciated as this is a new departure point for us. Thanks.

This is the kind of thing that can vary as the hotel gets (or does not get) booked. I remember around 10 years ago we tried to book the Harbor House for Saturday night and was not able to get a one night stay. Around a month before the cruise, they opened up for a one night stay. So your list of hotels that allow one night stays might be dynamic.

We got a really good rate for Moody Gardens for Saturday night before cruise last week. Our flight was canceled twice that day , and had to cancel hotel and dinner reservations, late that Saturday and reservation said we needed to cancel 48 hours before or pay, called hotel and they told us we would not be charged since flight was canceled, we book them again on next trip to Galveston

Edited by George C
spellling

We stayed at Moody Gardens for one night over Easter weekend. It was not a pre-cruise stay, but we got a really good rate and wanted a weekend getaway. Nice hotel, great pool, decent food. There is a lot of activities for kids, not including the pyramids. Only downside - not near the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We finally opted to stay near Hobby. Stayed at nearby Marriott with shuttle. Scheduled bus from Hobby with Royal Caribbean and took shuttle back to airport the next morning to meet bus to The port. Also took RC's bus back to Hobby after the cruise. Very easy and much less expensive than getting a ride to Galveston, a hotel there, and transportation back to Hobby after the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We stayed at Moody Gardens for one night over Easter weekend. It was not a pre-cruise stay, but we got a really good rate and wanted a weekend getaway. Nice hotel, great pool, decent food. There is a lot of activities for kids, not including the pyramids. Only downside - not near the beach.

Moody Gardens is my favorite Galveston Hotel. For those who are not familar with the pyramids one is a visitors center and tropical rain forrest, one a world class aquarium and the last is the Discover pyramid.

Shearn's Steak & Seafood, which is on the top floor of Moody Garden's Hotels, has a great panoramic view of the area and excellent food.

A lot of times you can get a one night stay on on-line web sites.

Carla

Hi Carla, the ones I like that usually require two night are the Galvez and the St Luis. Once in a great while their web site offers one night.

You can look into the Kemah or Clear Lake area. NASA Houston is right there, not too far from Galveston. Kemal and NASA can be fun.

I did some google search and the area is also known as Webster Texas.

Any hotel on the highway from Hobby to Galveston can work.

Edited by lrn2cruise

A lot of times you can get a one night stay on on-line web sites.

Carla

This. I had trouble finding anything for one night so we went on one of those online travel sites where they have "hot" rates where they tell you the star level and area but not the name. We did that and ended up with Moody Gardens. And it was a 1 night reservation. We will be there on Saturday.

I've stayed at the Hotel Galvez for only 1 night, but I had to book it through the cruiseline and later realized that for the $450 I was charged for that 1 night, I could have booked direct and stayed 2 nights. I did get an extra point on my RC status for the hotel stay though, but I don't think they do that anymore.

This. I had trouble finding anything for one night so we went on one of those online travel sites where they have "hot" rates where they tell you the star level and area but not the name. We did that and ended up with Moody Gardens. And it was a 1 night reservation. We will be there on Saturday.

I'll also be there Saturday and am having dinner with friends at Shearn's. They only have a limited number of reservations for 8:30 and 9:00 left. I forgot it is Mother's Day weekend and Shearn's is quite popular with the locals.

We did one night at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort. It was nice clean place with a pool and a great view of the Gulf, but doesn't sound as fun as Moody Gardens. It is within walking distance of a Kroger (and WalMart if you don't mind walking too much) in case you need to stock up on anything.

I only want the hotel room to sleep so I stick with Holiday Inn Express. There is one in Galveston and there is one in Texas City. You can always look at those rental sites where people rent their homes and condos. We got a place for my entire family for one night in Galveston for 11 people. Very reasonable price and the lady who owns the place has been awesome!

The last 2 years in April, we have stayed at Days Inn & Suites. It is a fairly new place but it is not close to the main attractions on Seawall. Their prices are reasonable and we like it there. We also have it booked for next year.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

I'll also be there Saturday and am having dinner with friends at Shearn's. They only have a limited number of reservations for 8:30 and 9:00 left. I forgot it is Mother's Day weekend and Shearn's is quite popular with the locals.

Hmm that reminds me. If anyone has any recommendations for a restaurant that would be great. Its our anniversary but we will have our 6 year old so it can;t be too fancy. Reasonably priced but not Mcdonalds or anything like that. Ideas?

Hmm that reminds me. If anyone has any recommendations for a restaurant that would be great. Its our anniversary but we will have our 6 year old so it can;t be too fancy. Reasonably priced but not Mcdonalds or anything like that. Ideas?

One of the better seafood restaurants I've enjoyed is Gaidos.

We've stayed one night at Sheraton Four Points on Seawall several times....and are again in Sept! :-)

Restaurants we like that are family friendly (or good for just adults!) - Nick's or Fish Tales for seafood, DiBella's for Italian.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked for 1 night coming up at The Scottish Inn. They allow you to leave your car parked there and provide a shuttle to the port. As I understand it, you have to drop your group off then come back and park and they give you a ride back to the port.