Stonehenge/ Salisbury Cathedral / Magna Carta pre- cruise.

We are a group traveling to Southampton from London by private mini bus on a Sunday for a 4 PM sailing. We plan to leave London by 7:30 and have timed tickets for 9:30 at Stonehenge. We also planned to visit Salisbury Cathedral and view the Magna Carta, and then proceed to Southampton for a 2:30 check in.

We just realized that, as our trip is on a Sunday, and the Cathedral does not even open until 12 noon, we may not have ample time to tour the church, see the Magna Carta, and then arrive in Southampton by 2:15 at the latest. It was suggested that, if pressed for time, we could just do a quick photo stop without going into the Cathedral or seeing the Magna Carta.

First, is it feasible to go to Stonehenge, then on to Salisbury, see the Cathedral, leave Salisbury by 1:15 and still arrive in Southampton by 2:15? Second, what is the travel time ( on a Sunday in June) between Stonehenge and Salisbury, then Salisbury and Southampton? Third, is it worth driving out of our way from Stonehenge to Salisbury( if that is the case) for just a drive through Salisbury and a photo op of the Cathedral without going inside?

We are awaiting word from our transfer company but would like an opinion from local folks, or anyone who has visited the Cathedral and seen the Magna Carta.

Thanks for any insight.

Sunday is a good day for road travel - no commuters, few trucks, and you're hopefully ahead of the day-trippers from London.

It might be a little slow close to Stonehenge and inside the Salisbury city ring road, the rest of your journey should be unhindered.

You're likely to be at Stonehenge a little before 9.30, but it's worth going straight to the entrance - at that time of the morning you'll probably be allowed in ahead of your timed ticket.

Stonehenge is worth 90 minutes, but IMHO no more than 2 hours.

From Stonehenge to Southampton by minibus is about an hour - and that's whether you take the divided highway circuit (A303 / A34 / M3) or the more direct route on slower roads through Salisbury.

So via Salisbury isn't "out of your way". Even if you were running late & decided not to stop off.

Stonehenge to Salisbury is about 20 minutes, depending when you leave Stonehenge you might have time to soak up the city centre or you can just meander the cathedral close before noon.

You won't have a worthwhile photo-op from the minibus - you have to walk into the cathedral close.

Your driver will probably drop you / collect you at the Exeter Street / North Walk entrance to the cathedral close, a five minute walk from the cathedral door.

It's then about 40 minutes from Salisbury to Southampton, but allowing an hour makes sense.

So you'll have at least an hour in the cathedral - not ideal but certainly adequate.

Is your minibus operator based in London or Southampton?

JB :)

Thanks John for another detailed and precise reply. I'm on the same mini-coach with Knolmom and have emailed our transfer company asking for their take on the matter. But from what you say we can plan on leaving Salisbury by 12.30-12.45 to arrive the cruise terminal by 1.30, well in time for check-in and boarding. The ship sails at 4pm that afternoon.

I do hope we make it to Salisbury cathedral, even if only for a brief stop, this has been on my wish list for ages!

I agree about Salisbury Cathedral; it beats Stonehenge hands down in my opinion. I would do a quick walk round the stones and skip the souvenirs and tea shop to give as much time as possible for the Cathedral. The is a cafe there so you can grab a quick snack as well as a framed copy of Magna Carta.

The only problem I can see is that your driver might not be familiar with Salisbury, but his satnav should take him straight there and he can drop you off near the entrance. You would do well to have a mobile (cell) phone available, so that you can keep in contact with him.

We did Salisbury, Stonehenge and Avebury one day with a rental car. It was great. Personally, I would save Salisbury for when you can see the interior of the cathedral and the Magna Carta. If you haven't been to Windsor Castle, that could be an option, or perhaps Winchester.

The only problem I can see is that your driver might not be familiar with Salisbury,.

That's kinda why I asked. ;)

Not a big deal, but a local driver knows how to avoid logjams & where to drop / collect their passengers.

A London driver, well ....... mebbe, mebbe not.

If the driver knows Salisbury, fine.

If not ..............

I mentioned Exeter Street, Salisbury.

At the junction with St Ann's Street there's a coach drop-off bay opposite the Chapter House hotel. The arch at the junction is St Ann's gate, a pedestrian gatehouse to the cathedral close.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.065815,-1.7935032,3a,75y,329.53h,88.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s87X6GWgkGkYqBpRWgZEveA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The driver can't park here, he can only drop-off or collect. So he can go park elsewhere & return for you at an agreed time.

I'd have thought back on the bus by 1.15 would be fine.

OP: I do hope you are able to work things out to see the inside of Salisbury Cathedral, which is magnificent, and also to view (the) Magna Carta. When we visited a few years ago, there was a wonderful elderly docent who I think had been at Runnymede for the signing. She was priceless. Have a great trip!

SalisburyCathedral_zpsb23bd6d2.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

OP: I do hope you are able to work things out to see the inside of Salisbury Cathedral, which is magnificent, and also to view (the) Magna Carta. When we visited a few years ago, there was a wonderful elderly docent who I think had been at Runnymede for the signing. She was priceless. Have a great trip!

Hi Turtles,

Yes, she would have been quite elderly.

Something over 900 years old, by my reckoning. ;)

Or have I mis-read your post? ;p

• 1 month later...
We are a group traveling to Southampton from London by private mini bus on a Sunday for a 4 PM sailing. We plan to leave London by 7:30 and have timed tickets for 9:30 at Stonehenge. We also planned to visit Salisbury Cathedral and view the Magna Carta, and then proceed to Southampton for a 2:30 check in.

We just realized that, as our trip is on a Sunday, and the Cathedral does not even open until 12 noon, we may not have ample time to tour the church, see the Magna Carta, and then arrive in Southampton by 2:15 at the latest. It was suggested that, if pressed for time, we could just do a quick photo stop without going into the Cathedral or seeing the Magna Carta.

First, is it feasible to go to Stonehenge, then on to Salisbury, see the Cathedral, leave Salisbury by 1:15 and still arrive in Southampton by 2:15? Second, what is the travel time ( on a Sunday in June) between Stonehenge and Salisbury, then Salisbury and Southampton? Third, is it worth driving out of our way from Stonehenge to Salisbury( if that is the case) for just a drive through Salisbury and a photo op of the Cathedral without going inside?

We are awaiting word from our transfer company but would like an opinion from local folks, or anyone who has visited the Cathedral and seen the Magna Carta.

Thanks for any insight.

Can you tell me what Van Company you are using? We are there in September and looking for something similar.

Thanks

Debbie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums