Men's evening attire: inspiration

CambsCruiser82

Hi all,

We're lucky on here to get lots of lovely pictures of women in their lovely outfits but I'd love some inspiration for us men.

I've got the formal outfit - easy- but I'd love to see what others have worn for the 'tie optional' evenings. I'm a matching business suit guy so I've never done different colour trousers to blazers so I'd like to see what others do.

Note: this is a 'let's see your outfit choices' I'm in no way wanting to not wear my suits; I'm really excited to dress up every night but I need some inspiration as I don't want to just be in my work suits. I want some new outfits. [emoji846].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Apart from the 2 - and 3 piece suits I like the navy blazer, single or double breasted, with metal buttons, with grey or beige suit trousers.

That's my husband's go-to outfit for "less than" a suit. For a TA he takes the tux and the suit. For a longer cruise, he adds the blazer and trouser option. Even with that he usually wears a tie, just because he likes to.

Hi all,

We're lucky on here to get lots of lovely pictures of women in their lovely outfits but I'd love some inspiration for us men.

I've got the formal outfit - easy- but I'd love to see what others have worn for the 'tie optional' evenings. I'm a matching business suit guy so I've never done different colour trousers to blazers so I'd like to see what others do.

Note: this is a 'let's see your outfit choices' I'm in no way wanting to not wear my suits; I'm really excited to dress up every night but I need some inspiration as I don't want to just be in my work suits. I want some new outfits. [emoji846].

Well I'm a fully paid up member of the prefer formal nights club but after that I like to see a bit of colour on a man. So hopefully a bit of inspiration for you, my starters for ten...

33866983133_161010a1bd_z.jpg

34515070082_a43758e063_z.jpg

Well I'm a fully paid up member of the prefer formal nights club but after that I like to see a bit of colour on a man. So hopefully a bit of inspiration for you, my starters for ten...

33866983133_161010a1bd_z.jpg

I'd be quite happy for every night to be formal night [emoji846]. I love it!

Thanks for the pics.

I'd be quite happy for every night to be formal night [emoji846]. I love it!

Thanks for the pics.

We would like more formal days, too. I don't see why every sea day can't be formal. Except the last, since your maid and valet will have packed away your posh frocks. ;p

Apart from the 2 - and 3 piece suits I like the navy blazer, single or double breasted, with metal buttons, with grey or beige suit trousers.

Yes, I can do that as well...

33834661794_d75e59771c_z.jpg

...but always careful to add the colour with the shirt and tie.

Otherwise one would look a bit Fred Olsenish.

I think a nice tweed jacket is useful on transatlantic crossings. You can step out on the promenade deck and not feel quite as cold.

Regards John

Very smart. Unfortunately it's going to be Greek islands in July so I might need a personal AC unit attached lol.

I do recall a cruise where a guy wore a kilt every night. This was done with formal jacket and attire with which we are familiar with but then on non-formal nights less formal jackets etc. were worn with the kilt.

Regards John

If you want to mix things up a little try a burgundy blazer, black slacks, and a burgundy or black tie. I personally always go with a tie as it "completes the look".

Brolin+in+burgundy+LFOLOPRQBngl.jpg

This one is great I love it

- my lovely wife would be super pleased when I walk out looking like this!

[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Forums mobile app

This one is great I love it

- my lovely wife would be super pleased when I walk out looking like this!

Let's face it, gentlemen, virtually all our lovely wives would be super pleased if their husband looked like that! :)

I've never seen a man wearing spats in real life, so please forgive my curiosity - but are you wearing spats in this photo? Are spats seeing a revival in your part of the World?

Thanks,

Salacia

Please don't shoot me down for asking this question, but my husband likes wearing a fine knit (no collar) under a suit or jacket/pants combo - a bit like the old Miami Vice TV show. He sees this as casual - for an evening BBQ party.

Would that be appropriate for an informal night or would we be banned to the buffet? Yikes!!!!!

Let's not forget bow ties especially when they are tied by hand...I like seeing my DH this way. Also, the small fabric lapel buttonhole pins available in some of the better men's shops are a nice accent that jazzes things up (and they are easy to pack).

We too would favour more formal nights particularly with the interesting themes Cunard does. For our September QE cruise my DH now has a summer weight wool double-breasted suit and fedora for the 1920s ball and tails for the Starlight ball but whether the top hat can come will depend on space in our suitcases. These themes give the gentlemen lots of range for different looks on the formal nights.

Hope you have fun pulling together your evening attire!

Please don't shoot me down for asking this question, but my husband likes wearing a fine knit (no collar) under a suit or jacket/pants combo - a bit like the old Miami Vice TV show. He sees this as casual - for an evening BBQ party.

Would that be appropriate for an informal night or would we be banned to the buffet? Yikes!!!!!

I think a fine knit is fine under a jacket. He could up gun with a waistcoat instead, the traditional yellow or tattersall check. I have assumed for jacket you do not mean Harrington etc.

Regards John

I've never seen a man wearing spats in real life, so please forgive my curiosity - but are you wearing spats in this photo? Are spats seeing a revival in your part of the World?

Thanks,

Salacia

Good morning Salacia.

When I published that photograph I just knew who'd be first to comment and you didn't disappoint.

I'm always happy to impart knowledge and you'll be pleased to hear that they aren't actually 'spats' though they do give that effect.

They are in fact a pair of dance shoes and were purchased, as most of my dance shoes are, in New York.

Indeed, on the subject of New York, two of my favourite jackets also came from there, Bergdorf Goodman.

Have a nice day.

Let's not forget bow ties especially when they are tied by hand...I like seeing my DH this way. Also, the small fabric lapel buttonhole pins available in some of the better men's shops are a nice accent that jazzes things up (and they are easy to pack).

We too would favour more formal nights particularly with the interesting themes Cunard does. For our September QE cruise my DH now has a summer weight wool double-breasted suit and fedora for the 1920s ball and tails for the Starlight ball but whether the top hat can come will depend on space in our suitcases. These themes give the gentlemen lots of range for different looks on the formal nights.

Hope you have fun pulling together your evening attire!

Good morning Carnevale.

Wouldn't have a bow tie any other way.

The Royal Navy went to considerable expense to teach me to tie one.