How formal is formal?

xcell

Hey, a dress code thread, cool! So if I wear my tux/dinner jacket/sport coat/blazer and I get hot during dinner can I remove my tux/dinner jacket/sport coat/blazer and place it on my chair back or will it make everyone uncomfortable and get me thrown out?

Hey, a dress code thread, cool! So if I wear my tux/dinner jacket/sport coat/blazer and I get hot during dinner can I remove my tux/dinner jacket/sport coat/blazer and place it on my chair back or will it make everyone uncomfortable and get me thrown out?
Hey, welcome back, you've been missed! Don't be removing that jacket now!!:) Edited by NLH Arizona

LOL...that's what I was thinking.

Hell strip it all off and see the faces of your table mates...

I used to wear suit/tie; then shirt/tie - since this might be the first time i am going on celebrity, that's the only reason I asked the question.

BTW I have seen on RCCL shorts and t-shirt on formal night but they sat them in a corner...didnt really bother me....he look comfortable after a big meal...

Ian! Where ya been? It was gettin kind lonely round here. ;)

Hope everyone north of 49 are well.

I would rather have dinner with someone who is comfortable, funny and a nice person....what they are wearing doesn't define the person.

I'm sure everyone feels that way. It doesn't have to be one way or the other. The thing is most nice people have consideration for others and don't do things they know they're not supposed to.

Edited by Ma Bell

Fine, as long as you stop there.

Removing an additional layer or two may get you thrown out. ;)

If you plan to go that route, please post here to let the other passengers know in advance so we can have our cameras ready. :D

Not me. I am going to say flat out my patience and tolerance for people bucking the system and/or avoiding, deviating or ignoring the rules is problematic.

If the IRS says file your taxes by April 15th, if your landlord says the rent is due on the 1st, if your lender says your mortgage payment is due not later than the 10th, I'm going with the boxed in rules.

Ive been easy going in the past, open minded, tolerant and non-judgmental. I've done it all to try it on for size and give others the benefit of the doubt.

I've decided…I'm going back to old fashioned values.

Follow the rules.

No it is not. You receive a personal invitation to attend the wedding, based on a relationship with the family. They know your lifestyle, and would probably not send the invitation knowing you would do this

(and bring down the atmosphere they are trying hard to create at gosh knows how much a cost per head )

Ya need a different comparison.

Hysterical.

Thanks for my chuckle of the day. :D

The Mother of the Bride in me... Provided the bit in the brackets / bold to your original Quote

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

To be honest I can afford to rent a different tux every night if I choose to but it's not a matter of expense is a matter of comfort!!

The dress code doesn't say you have to wear a tux anyway!

:cool: Which brings us way back to the original post----NO YOU CANNOT WEAR JUST A SHIRT AND TIE. lOSE THE TIE AND ADD A JACKET, SUIT OR tUX. And Mr. T--If that is what you do, then you are dressing as your host has requested.:cool:

Edited by sailawayjack

On the very recent New England/Canada cruise on Summit there were very few tuxedos/dinner jackets in sight on "formal" nights. Most men were in suits or sports jackets.

Two of the 3 nights we dined at Normandie and most men wore jackets but were a few in more casual attire. One formal night we dined with Hotel Director, and all of the male passengers at table were in suits. When the invitation arrived I advised that tux was not packed and was told that tuxedo was not necessary at all. It was quite a congenial group and I don't believe anyone felt ill at ease.

When you pass someone in the elevator etc on formal night casually dressed don't let them ruin your formal experience/tradition as they may not be going to MDR or dining later than you. On this cruise there were passengers in their "formal" wear at 4pm while I was still on my way to have afternoon coffee. And I guess I don't consider it disrespectful to me if others choose to dress casual even if I am a rule follower.

Remember Get Smart. Maybe Celebrity could rent out a "cone of formal" so people would not have their dinner spoiled by what someone else, who has passed muster from the host because they have been admitted to the dinning room, is wearing.

Honestly with all the problems in the world that are basically caused by intolerance from both sides what future do we have if someone can't be tolerant of what a person chooses to wear because they are comfortable.

I follow the code (just) but don't sweat for one second because someone else is having a good time and wearing what they like. I love that others are having a ball in their formal gear. I don't joke or think anything other than they look like they are enjoying themselves even though my choice is that I never have and never would wear a tux. If a table mate was rude to the staff or us or had poor personal hygiene etc that is a different story.

My outlook is that it's Celebrity's ship so let them make the call if a person fits their guidelines.

Edited by woodyren

Cruise lines started relaxing the dress codes after the airlines started charging hefty fees for checked bags. Formal wear takes room in the luggage. We travel in carry-on only bags - have for years.

We do still manage to pack a nice jacket for DH and a couple of nice shirts. One staple for DH's wardrobe is the banded collar shirt - he has several - some very dressy - the best part - NO TIE.

I have to agree - shirt & tie without a jacket is NEVER a good look - unless you are going for the "harried, underpaid, middle manager" look!

Someone here posted that the formal nights get less formal throughout the cruise - we have always found that to be true. The first formal night more folks are dressed up and in dressier clothes, the second a little less dressy an so on. We tend to follow that as well. Jacket for the first night and just banded collar shirt - no jacket for 2nd.

Cruise lines started relaxing the dress codes after the airlines started charging hefty fees for checked bags. Formal wear takes room in the luggage.

Actually that isn't true. It has nothing to do with airline baggage fees. Tux's are always available for rental. The cruises started to "dumb down" or "Walmart" because that is what the passengers want. They flux with the clientele. You can blame anyone you want, but the reality is that we have just simply stopped following the Dress Code until it became a "Suggested Dress Code."

People who ask "can I not wear formal on formal night" simply don't want to abide by the "suggested dress." That's fine, but for some reason they need validation and excuses. "I only bring carry-on luggage to save a $25 baggage fee, so I can't wear my beloved Tux" is simply justifying your decision to ignore the suggested dress code. Truth is, for a $3000 cruise, $25 baggage fee is pretty petty.

I wear a Tux because my wife and I like to dress up on Formal Night. I don't do it because of the "dress code," I do it because I want to.

Wear what you want, but let's not "excuse" it with "Gee I don't want to pay the airline baggage fee so I'm forced to dress casually on Formal Night." Just be adult enough to admit you don't want to get dressed up. As most say, no one cares.

Not me. I am going to say flat out my patience and tolerance for people bucking the system and/or avoiding, deviating or ignoring the rules is problematic.

If the IRS says file your taxes by April 15th, if your landlord says the rent is due on the 1st, if your lender says your mortgage payment is due not later than the 10th, I'm going with the boxed in rules.

Ive been easy going in the past, open minded, tolerant and non-judgmental. I've done it all to try it on for size and give others the benefit of the doubt.

I've decided…I'm going back to old fashioned values.

Follow the rules.

Not the same. The IRS, landlords, banks and so on have established their requirements and enforce penalties for those that don’t comply. However the Cruise lines don’t enforce their own suggested evening dress guidelines. Those that don’t, that’s not our concern. Only the guy/gal wearing the Cruise Lines name tag can tell/suggest to Cruisers who don’t follow the suggested evening dress guidelines (not a rule) to please comply. You have a right to your opinion but that’s all it is.

because i/we don't go on holiday to please you...

I certainly wouldn't be going on holiday thinking...

"i hope that person i've never met or would likely choose not to ever meet is happy with my dress choices!"

like like like :)

To be honest I can afford to rent a different tux every night if I choose to but it's not a matter of expense is a matter of comfort!!

The dress code doesn't say you have to wear a tux anyway!

You said you didn't want to bring formal clothes due to packing limitations. If the suit or tux fit correctly, they are very comfortable. Ships are usually pretty cool in the evening.

Celebeity rents tuxedos but not suits.

Although I agree, to some extent, that "codes" should be followed, I get a big chuckle out of the "dumbing down" and the WalMart-ization comments by many on here.

Yes, I am afraid that Celebrity may be aspiring to the WalMart lines like Oceania, Azamara, Regent Seven Seas and Windstar. Even Seabourn has formal optional nights and half the number that Celebrity has.

We do dress to code on formal nights but that is because we like the overall feel (and price) of Celebrity but boy, sailing on the better lines is just so much more comfortable.

Although I agree, to some extent, that "codes" should be followed, I get a big chuckle out of the "dumbing down" and the WalMart-ization comments by many on here.

Yes, I am afraid that Celebrity may be aspiring to the WalMart lines like Oceania, Azamara, Regent Seven Seas and Windstar. Even Seabourn has formal optional nights and half the number that Celebrity has.

We do dress to code on formal nights but that is because we like the overall feel (and price) of Celebrity but boy, sailing on the better lines is just so much more comfortable.

Is wearing nice clothing for two nights really that uncomfortable?

Is wearing nice clothing for two nights really that uncomfortable?

Your definition of "nice clothing" and mine is different. Would much rather see folks dressed in smart casual clothing than ill-fitting and worn (often the case of rentals) formal clothing. And yes, it can be uncomfortable. YMMV.

:D

- I have to agree - shirt & tie without a jacket is NEVER a good look - unless you are going for the "harried, underpaid, middle manager" look!

Thank You! I've been seeing the "shirt/tie/no coat" thing for years and it just looks so sad and lame.:D Either wear the coat or not, but if not leave out the tie!!!!:)

Your definition of "nice clothing" and mine is different. Would much rather see folks dressed in smart casual clothing than ill-fitting and worn (often the case of rentals) formal clothing. And yes, it can be uncomfortable. YMMV.

I don't wear ill-fitting or worn clothing. I have used rentals a few times and they were not worn and fit perfectly. I feel very comfortable in a tux or suit. I almost always wear a jacket to dinner because I like to have pockets. Not saying you are, but I don't worry about baggage fees compared to the cost of a cruise.