Seasickness

dawso53

Hi all,

Am hoping I will not need to know but what are best seasick remedies? I have seen, Kwells, Travel Calm and someone said just antihistamines like Zyrtec and Telfast. I have also been told Maxalon and Stemitil anti nausea meds help. As I'll be only person with grandson definitely Don't want this problem

Hi all,

Am hoping I will not need to know but what are best seasick remedies? I have seen, Kwells, Travel Calm and someone said just antihistamines like Zyrtec and Telfast. I have also been told Maxalon and Stemitil anti nausea meds help. As I'll be only person with grandson definitely Don't want this problem

Wife does suffer but from seasickness

She swears by

Green apples

Ginger, pieces tea even ginger ale or ginger beer

And Travel calm as a lat resort ( but if you know you are likely to have an issue start this a few days before you sail.)

Hi all,

With a child, I would recommend one of the ginger solutions, they work great for us and no side effects. I believe the Sea Bands are nothing but a placebo. Watch the Mythbusters sea sickness episode, its enlightening.

Hi all,

Krazy Kruiser's advice to consult your family doctor is solid. I would suggest the same.

Brand names often differ between countries. It is always good to find out the technical name of the active ingredient.

If your cruise embarks in another country, make sure any prescription drug you have is legal in that country. Also, some drugs that can be bought without a prescription in one country may require a prescription in another.

Sea Bands work really well for me. They may be a placebo, but when I put them on I don't feel sea sick anymore so that's a win for me.

I carry non-drowsy dramamine as well, just in case. I haven't needed it in years, though. While I love ginger, it doesn't do anything to curb my nausea.

People have posted various seasickness preventatives. Your options are much more limited if you get to the point that you are seasick. None of the oral stuff works then.

It will still work. The problem is it typically takes a little time for it to do so. And when you're already feeling sick, it seems even longer.

Hi all,

I bought travel calm in Australia, worked like a charm. I also ate candied ginger and used ginger tablets. The ginger was just in case and because I like ginger. :)

If you and your grandson don't get motion sick in cars and on roller coasters, you should be fine on ships.

Thanks GUT2407

Green apples and ginger sound great but might stick to travel calm just as your wife and start it before we go. It"s only a 3 day sampler cruise but really would like to enjoy Explorer of the Seas and not spend it in the bathroom.

It"s only a 3 day sampler cruise but really would like to enjoy Explorer of the Seas and not spend it in the bathroom.

Do you normally get seasick or you are just thinking ahead? I think this is really important. Let us know.

I find pills make me woozy (even the supposed non-drowsy kind) and that's not how I want to spend my vacation either. As mentioned, different medications for different people; if you don't know if you get seasick, then maybe you should wait and see if you do or not. And yes, the anti-nausea pills and wrist bands will definitely work if you actually do get to the point of vomiting.

You really should talk to your family doctor and ask what he recommends for you. He know you better than any of us do. He knows what -- if any -- medications you take.

What works for one person may not work for you.

Boards are not the best place for medical advise. You are just hearing about what has worked for others.

Bonine works wonders for me. It is usually available in the shop on board if you can't get it before the cruise.

We noticed the OP is from Australia where this brand name may not be available. The actual drug in Bonine is called Meclizine Hcl (25mg) and this is the drug of choice dispensed (or sold) on most cruise ships. In the USA it is sold over-the-counter and is also sold as a prescription drug under the brand name "Antivert."

Hank

It will still work. The problem is it typically takes a little time for it to do so. And when you're already feeling sick, it seems even longer.

I won't be vague this time. If the med needs to be swallowed, you need to keep it down.