Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Thomson Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyEC View Post
It depends on the units! For pure water

In the US:
1 (short) ton = 2000 lb = 240 US gallons
1 (metric) tonne = 1 m^3 = 264 US gallons

In the UK:
1 (long) ton = 2240 lb = 224 Imperial gallons = 288 US gallons
1 (metric) ton = 220 Imperial gallons

So, plenty of room for confusion there! AND, of course, it will be slightly different for sea water!

Trivial calculations aside, it's very good to hear that all passengers are safely home, and that the ship is to sail again as planned. It was a truly tragic event, but there will be an element of positive outcome if the publicity ensures greater safety.
It was a truly horrible occurance that occured in La Palma but those including my self that are sailing soon can rest assured they will be safe on their cruise. I expect there will be a somewhat subdued atmosphere on board when the Majesty sails tonight but I do hope the holiday makers enjoy their time onboard. hopefully when I get on board things will be carefree again but I do know safety will be of the highest order.

I will see any of you reading this and boarding on either 22 March or 23 March in Gran Canaria then after a weeks stay in Tenerife in my appartment.

Sailed Sea Princess Carribbean Feb 2010
Sailed Coral Princess Panama Canal 17 Jan 2012
Sailed Royal Princess 16 June 2013
Sailed Thomson Dream Carribean 25 Mar 2012
Sailed Thomson Majesty Canaries 22 Mar 2013
Sailed P&O Ventura 18 January 2014

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by okavango View Post
hmmm cant think what the 180 would be ,maybe something funny like newtons sq mm ,certainly not tons, not sure of the lifeboat capacities on Majesty but for an 80 person one (open type) id reckon deadweight of about 4 ton for the boat and around 6-7 ton of bodies (+1 ton if near end of cruise) so that only puts around 5-6 ton load on each end of the falls.

Still a mystery why that cable broke,the picture of it shows a very clean break, more what i would associate with the cable being dragged over a sharp edge if it had slipped out of a sheave,degraded cables usually break over a longer staggered length (had plenty of both types of break - the joys of fishing).
Sounds like you would have had an enjoyable holiday if it wasnt for the tragic turn of events, look forward to you reports on this in due course ,will be nice to hear it from someone sensible after seeing some of the moronic recent reviews.
I checked it out online and the 180+ was probably kilonewtons.
10 kilonewtons would be a minimum breaking strain of 1 tonne so the cable was rated as at least 18 tonne. looks about right?

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream
Thomson Majesty x 2
P&O Ventura x 5
P&O Oceana x 4
P&O Arcadia

To come
Oceana September 2014
Thomson Dream November 2014