Help! Extra charges on NCL? New to NCL.

Hi Everyone!

Looking for info on NCL. Their web site does not give many details, just a lot of pretty photos. I'm used to crusing with RCCL. I am drawn to NCL because of their lovely cabins, I love Jacuzzi tubs, and other romantic amenities. RCCL's rooms with those amenities are priced so high and NCL is so low in comparison. So with that being said, we are planning our next Anniversary cruise and were wondering:

1. Which restaurants are included on NCL? Is it different on every ship? How do you know if they charge, and what they charge? Are there signs at the door?

2. We love formal night and everything that goes with it, we dress every night for dinner. Is it true that NCL allows shorts and T shirts in the dining room? If I wear a cocktail dress and my boyfriend a shirt and tie will we look out of place on a normal night? We take photos every night. Do they have photos?

3. fees for bowling and rock climbing? Really?

4. How do the gratuities work?

5. Any other fees I should know about?

6. Is there a captains welcome reception? What is this like?

I guess we are a young couple who long for the old days of dinner and romantic dancing, and I guess it is so hard to find. We belong in another era. :(

We felt so out of place on Carnival.... Just want to plan our next cruise better...

Any help would be great!

Dawn

1. Which restaurants are included on NCL? Is it different on every ship? How do you know if they charge, and what they charge? Are there signs at the door?

In general, for the "FREE" restaurants you will find two main dining rooms, 2 or 3 buffet restaurants (one main one, with possibly an outdoor alternative as well as a small one near the pool (the Jewel had these three)). You will also typically have one free sit down restaurant, open 24 hours, with a standard menu (we ate there a lot). And you will always have room service (for free). Beyond those, you will have more than a half dozen options for a "fee". On the Jewel, the fee ranged from $10 to $25 per person, with two of the restaurants (the Italian and the Mexican) offering "half price happy hour" where the cover charge was reduced between 5:30 and 6:30pm during our cruise. In the daily listings of activities you will find a detailed list of hours of each as well as the fees which restaurants charge.

2. We love formal night and everything that goes with it, we dress every night for dinner. Is it true that NCL allows shorts and T shirts in the dining room? If I wear a cocktail dress and my boyfriend a shirt and tie will we look out of place on a normal night? We take photos every night. Do they have photos?

I'm sure others will have more to say on this with more experiences cruising, but we were on the Jewel this month (12 day Baltic cruise), and there were always people dressed up for dinner. But it was not the norm (maybe 10 - 20%). There are typically one or two "Dress Up Or Not" nights per cruise (depending on cruise length), where those who choose to dress up only occasionally can target those nights. That's when we saw the most formal wear, but it was still likely less than a third of the guests. But everyone co-existed nicely (I think). We didn't mind they were dressed up, and I didn't notice anyone annoyed by my khaki's. I can at least alleviate your fears of shorts and t-shirts - it clearly states in the dailies and everywhere else, that shorts are ONLY allowed in the buffet restaurant after 5:30. I can also speak from experience that I was turned away from the Italian restaurant for wearing shorts (I simply forgot).

I believe photos were offered every night. Possibly not on port days (can't remember) but definitely on sea days.

$12 per person per day. You get them added to your bill at the end of the cruise. You are free to tip in addition, should you choose, but any "fee" services (bar tabs, spa services, etc.) already have an 18% gratuity already added.

In general, for the "FREE" restaurants you will find two main dining rooms, 2 or 3 buffet restaurants (one main one, with possibly an outdoor alternative as well as a small one near the pool (the Jewel had these three)). You will also typically have one free sit down restaurant, open 24 hours, with a standard menu (we ate there a lot). And you will always have room service (for free). Beyond those, you will have more than a half dozen options for a "fee". On the Jewel, the fee ranged from $10 to $25 per person, with two of the restaurants (the Italian and the Mexican) offering "half price happy hour" where the cover charge was reduced between 5:30 and 6:30pm during our cruise. In the daily listings of activities you will find a detailed list of hours of each as well as the fees which restaurants charge.

I'm sure others will have more to say on this with more experiences cruising, but we were on the Jewel this month (12 day Baltic cruise), and there were always people dressed up for dinner. But it was not the norm (maybe 10 - 20%). There are typically one or two "Dress Up Or Not" nights per cruise (depending on cruise length), where those who choose to dress up only occasionally can target those nights. That's when we saw the most formal wear, but it was still likely less than a third of the guests. But everyone co-existed nicely (I think). We didn't mind they were dressed up, and I didn't notice anyone annoyed by my khaki's. I can at least alleviate your fears of shorts and t-shirts - it clearly states in the dailies and everywhere else, that shorts are ONLY allowed in the buffet restaurant after 5:30. I can also speak from experience that I was turned away from the Italian restaurant for wearing shorts (I simply forgot).

I believe photos were offered every night. Possibly not on port days (can't remember) but definitely on sea days.

$12 per person per day. You get them added to your bill at the end of the cruise. You are free to tip in addition, should you choose, but any "fee" services (bar tabs, spa services, etc.) already have an 18% gratuity already added.

The bar is 15% and spa 18 per cent gratuity added to you bill.

Captains reception for people in suites and VIPS only.

go to this link and read the answers

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ

bg

Hi Everyone!

Looking for info on NCL. Their web site does not give many details, just a lot of pretty photos. I'm used to crusing with RCCL. I am drawn to NCL because of their lovely cabins, I love Jacuzzi tubs, and other romantic amenities. RCCL's rooms with those amenities are priced so high and NCL is so low in comparison. So with that being said, we are planning our next Anniversary cruise and were wondering:

I guess we are a young couple who long for the old days of dinner and romantic dancing, and I guess it is so hard to find. We belong in another era. :(

We felt so out of place on Carnival.... Just want to plan our next cruise better...

Any help would be great!

Dawn

If you're looking for "the old days of dinner and romantic dancing"...you're going to have to move "upscale". I like NCL, and would cruise on the line again, but it is much more laid-back and casual than you seem to be longing for.

I didn't like Carnival, but without knowing why you didn't like it, I won't comment. You might try Princess, or save your money and move up to Crystal.

Hi Everyone!

If you are in a suite the butler and concierge are not included in the $12/pp/pd auto tips. We always tip them (and our room steward) at the end of our cruise based on how much we used them. I aways take thank you cards and write a note and put the tip in the card.

NCL has the best suites and suite "perks" out there. They really know how to pamper you.:D

Any help would be great!

Dawn

Have a great time.

PJames,

How recent are the charges you posted? I thought that Cagney's had increased to $25pp.

DITTO the above. Our friends just returned from an NCL cruise and Cagney's was definitely $25. pp in early August.

fees for bowling and rock climbing? Really?

Is there a captains welcome reception? What is this like?

There is a fee (by the line, just like a regular bowling alley), but no rock climbing on NCL ships that I'm aware of. There are only 4 lanes.

Not really a Captains welcome reception but you are given a glass of sparkling wine when you board.

NCL is not the only line with specialty restaurants, and as far as I know, all mass-marketed lines charge extra for them (Chops and Portofino and even Ben & Jerry's on RCCL). NCL just happens to have more specialty restaurants to choose from. We spent a week aboard Spirit, and never stepped foot inside a specialty restaurant.

I can't address the dancing part, but if you are into the romantic, you might look into one of NCL's romance suites. No one has better suite perks in the mass-marketed lines.

Has anyone tried the Teppanyaki?

Is it worth $25 for "the show"?

http://www.gummy-stuff.org/teppanyaki.htm

Depends. A visit to our local Japanese steakhouse is well over $25 per person. But if someone goes into cruising with the philosphy that they will only eat in the restaurants that are already included with the fare, then maybe not.

There's definitely one on the Gem...not sure about the other ships in that class .

The Pearl and Gem are the only two that have rock climbing walls. The Epic will also have a climbing wall along with a repelling section. The water slide also make an appearance "through" the "rock" wall.

PE

I understand that on alot of the mass cruise lines, coffee is not included in the MDR's after your meal. On some neither is iced water.

NCL offers you coffee and there is also capuccino etc available in the Buffet all day/evening long.

If you don't enjoy alcohol you can literally not spend an extra $.

The Pearl and Gem are the only two that have rock climbing walls. The Epic will also have a climbing wall along with a repelling section. The water slide also make an appearance "through" the "rock" wall.

PE

So, the OP was inquiring about if there is a fee for rock climbing since there is rock climbing on a few of the NCL ships. Anyone know?

Has anyone tried the Teppanyaki?

Is it worth $25 for "the show"?

http://www.gummy-stuff.org/teppanyaki.htm

We usually do teppanyaki a couple times if we can. As much as the "show" (which is basicallly the same anywhere), we really enjoy meeting new people that you are seated with. Particularly Med cruises, where you have a better chance of sitting with people from different countries. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if you can get a bottle of rum and a bucket of pepsi from room service?

You can order a bottle of rum through the bar setup program and carry your own soda on board.

As for room service after you have boarded, yes but be prepared to pay a lot of money for it.

PE

Hi Everyone!

This one's been answered. :) What I will add is that the difference in price between other lines and NCL is what makes you able to choose for yourself whether you want to indulge in the specialties or not. Rather than include everything (though the other lines with specialty restaurants do also charge for theirs; as has been noted NCL just has more to pick from), you pay a 'base fare' with NCL and then decide for yourself whether you want to pay an additional fee for an additional service. For the record, we LOVE Teppanyaki and Cagney's and think they're both worth every penny. :)

There seem to be conflicting reports about people in shorts at supper. The dress code states that shorts are not allowed, so anyone who has seen people in shorts at the evening meal has witnessed a breach of the rules; I never have. I dress for dinner every night also, and love having the opportunity to do so for a whole week; my husband isn't so keen on it so he doesn't. The whole family dresses up (formal gowns, suit and tie) for at least the first 'Dress up or not' night, and for the second we go slightly less formal. The absolute best part of the dress code for us is that I CAN dress for dinner every night and my husband doesn't have to. He stays within the dress code, of course, but both of us get to wear what we're comfortable in. As long as your enjoyment comes primarily from what YOU wear, as opposed to what others wear, you'll enjoy it. If seeing others not dressed 'as well' as you are is a turn off, then NCL is definitely not the line for you. I have never, ever felt out of place on NCL, whether I've been wearing a formal gown, a cocktail dress, 'dinner' dress, or anything else - but then I never do; other peoples' choices have nothing to do with how I feel about mine. :)

I believe on the Pearl in January bowling was $5 and rock climbing was free. I did neither so I can't guarantee that 100%.

This one's been answered as well. It's absolutely wonderful to get to the end of your cruise and not have to deal with that envelope system!! As has been noted, some staff are not included, so if you're in a suite or using the Kid's Crew, note that the concierge, butler and Crew staff are not included. Bar service incurs its own autogratuity that will be on your receipt; no need to add more unless you want to.

I really can't think of any. People always talk about how NCL charges for 'everything', but when you really look at it, there isn't much that actually incurs a surcharge. The spa charges, but that's industry-wide, so I think everything's been covered. :)

There is a latitudes party, but it's for past guests. Otherwise I don't really think there's anything like this - not like some I attended on prior cruises. You will have the opportunity to meet some of the officers at your roll call meet and greet, though.

Any help would be great!

Dawn

I don't know why you felt out of place on Carnival, but if it was because everyone else seemed to be more 'casual' than you, it may happen again on NCL. I'm sorry you felt that way, in any case. Something I always keep in mind when I'm mingling among 1000+ complete strangers is that (as I mentioned above) their choices are theirs and mine are mine. Traditionally, I think cruises were considered more 'formal' vacations and for me, they still are. I don't care at all how casual the people around me are; a cruise is for dressing up and that's what I do and I LOVE it. :)

Does anyone know if you can get a bottle of rum and a bucket of pepsi from room service?

Just to elaborate on PE's reply, you CANNOT purchase a bottle for your room after you board. You can get a bar set up ahead of time and you can purchase liquor on board that you pick up on the last day to take home, but you cannot purchase a bottle on board for consumption. I hope that was clear!

The bar set ups are expensive, but not as expensive as the same amount purchased as individual shots. You also have the option of attempting to smuggle on your own, but if you're caught, you will be sent to the 'naughty room' and your liquor will be confiscated until the end of the cruise. Bar set up is the only real way to ensure you'll have liquor in your cabin.

Just to elaborate on PE's reply, you CANNOT purchase a bottle for your room after you board. You can get a bar set up ahead of time and you can purchase liquor on board that you pick up on the last day to take home, but you cannot purchase a bottle on board for consumption. I hope that was clear!

The bar set ups are expensive, but not as expensive as the same amount purchased as individual shots. You also have the option of attempting to smuggle on your own, but if you're caught, you will be sent to the 'naughty room' and your liquor will be confiscated until the end of the cruise. Bar set up is the only real way to ensure you'll have liquor in your cabin.

CT: I hate to disagree with you but you can purchase a full bottle after you board from any bar. The only problem is you will be charged the per-drink price for the bottle. It would be quite a lot I would think.

What you can not do is order a in-cabin bar set-up after you board.

Archived